Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
And now they want to start printing books on demand? They still seem to be behind the curve to me, what with more people going to ebooks.
My PoD books look much cooler on my book shelf that my Kindle does.

Personally I know many people who read lots of books but will not buy an e-reader unless declining eyesight forces them to. The younger generation may grow up thinking print is quaint, but older generations will continue reading print books for decades yet.

And given the base cost of a Createspace book is three or four hours of your time for formatting and uploading, there's really no reason not to do a PoD.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #17
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
My PoD books look much cooler on my book shelf that my Kindle does.

Personally I know many people who read lots of books but will not buy an e-reader unless declining eyesight forces them to. The younger generation may grow up thinking print is quaint, but older generations will continue reading print books for decades yet.

And given the base cost of a Createspace book is three or four hours of your time for formatting and uploading, there's really no reason not to do a PoD.
I am part of the older generation now. Although I blows my mind when I realize it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #18
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Yes and no. Kodak holds a huge portfolio of patents on digital imaging that would have put them at the forefront of the technology if they had commercialized them. Instead they kept making buggy whips and let their competitors come up with other ways of doing digital so their patents aren't nearly as valuable now (OK, so that's a little oversimplified but they had the potential and played it safe with their known film products).

Unless they can make this change for free it's probably a bad overall decision as books are going to specialty for those who want hard copy or digital for the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
My thoughts exactly. Kodak had all the keys to the kingdom and squandered it away, exactly as the current big publishing houses seem to be doing with the book industry.
Quote:
Of course they did, they could have chosen to invest in research and shifting the company in the new direction. Instead they dug in their heels and continued to focus on a dwindling market. ....
Kodak entered the digital market and was a presence for a long time. The problem is that they were not an electronics company, nor were they a higher end camera company. 95% of their business involved chemistry, and they didn't have the expertise - despite having some patents - to compete with Sony or Panasonic on the electronics side, or with Canon and Nikon on the high end camera side. They went out of business because their business - film - ceased to exist.

Book printing companies - the once who put the ink on the paper for paper books - are in a similar position due to e-books. They will be out of business if e-books become 95% of the market, which I'm sure they know. But there's not really anything they can do about it - they can't suddenly become an e-ink screen producer, or even a publisher, because that's too far outside what they actually know. It's not enough to know what's going to happen; you also have to have the ability to do something about it.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:31 AM   #19
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am part of the older generation now. Although I blows my mind when I realize it.
Apache
Same here. And e-readers are quite popular with older readers. When I went to the local library's e-reader playday a while back, except for one person, everyone was older than I! The one person there who brought a tablet to show off as opposed to e-ink looked to be about 80.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #20
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I would be interested in a price list. Not speculation, but a real price list for a real product that is deliverable today.

I don't think it can be done in a practical manner inexpensively enough to matter.

Interestingly enough I went for an interview a long time ago at Kodak, or at their Chemical division "Eastman" or "Eastman Kodak." We just called it Kodak. The main thing I remember is that you could work your way up to 6 weeks vacation. I think after 30 years.

Last edited by frahse; 09-18-2012 at 04:16 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #21
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Hasn't this already been tried, years ago?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009...chine-launches

Quote:
"This could change bookselling fundamentally," said Blackwell chief executive Andrew Hutchings.
It didn't.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #22
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Hasn't this already been tried, years ago?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009...chine-launches

It didn't.

Graham
I'm also a little confused at the excitement over this. A bookstore I frequent has one of the Expresso machines and I have yet to see it do anything except collect dust.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #23
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I'm baffled by this. Who goes to the drugstore and thinks, "oh, there is an old out-of-print book I'd like to read... oh I can print here!" or: "I would like to try self-publishing. I know, I will drop by the drugstore and upload and print my book!" Or: "I need to get some 4x6 prints for Grandma. I think I'll print out The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo at the same time." Who is the MARKET they are targeting?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #24
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Of course they did, they could have chosen to invest in research and shifting the company in the new direction. Instead they dug in their heels and continued to focus on a dwindling market. ....
Heh heh, I see what you did there. The publishing industry. Too true.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #25
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
From a parent standpoint, I can see this being useful for school reading lists. Although I may have the ebook, the school requires the student to bring their own paper copy for in-classroom reading. (Strange, seeing as how they have no problem with my daughter taking out an ereader for "silent reading" times in class.)

The required paper copy has led to many online searches, bookstore searches, and even used paperback swap digging in attempts to find some of these required reading editions. It would be nice to have the teacher merely hand over an ISBN and go to a nearby POD kiosk and be done with it.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #26
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
This won't be used (much) for printing books filled w/ text --- instead, it will be used to print custom scrapbooks of photos on-demand.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #27
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
This won't be used (much) for printing books filled w/ text --- instead, it will be used to print custom scrapbooks of photos on-demand.
It doesn't print in color. Do people want to print their custom scrapbooks in black and white?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #28
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Interestingly enough I went for an interview a long time ago at Kodak, or at their Chemical division "Eastman" or "Eastman Kodak." We just called it Kodak. The main thing I remember is that you could work your way up to 6 weeks vacation. I think after 30 years.
My dad worked for Kodak for quite a number of years til he died in 1975. Started out in the old plant in Chicago then moved to Oakbrook, IL.

Kodachrome
You give us those nice bright colors
You give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #29
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Kodak has been one of the greatest of cautionary tales in the modern day. Sad to see them clawing for a foothold in STILL the wrong place.

In terms of tragedies they rank right up there with Polaroid, Hewlett Packard, Motorola, and Xerox. HP and Moto may still have a future but only because of painful reinvention.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #30
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
My dad worked for Kodak for quite a number of years til he died in 1975. Started out in the old plant in Chicago then moved to Oakbrook, IL.

Kodachrome
You give us those nice bright colors
You give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

Carol
The plant I interviewed at was Carolina Eastman. In S.C. Don't know if it is still there.

I still have my mom's old box Kodak, and my own first camera, a Baby Brownie, a neighbor sold to me for a dollar when I was a little kid. I had a number of other Kodak cameras over the years with the many failed technologies Kodak developed that are long gone now, and I gave a son who likes cameras and old things a nice Kodak 35mm, but they will have to pry those first two from my stiff fingers.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote