Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Amazon to add gifting of kindle books in the near future

I've noticed that you can add Kindle books to a wish list (and started doing it), even though nobody can purchase them for you - yet. When you look at the list, it says that they can't yet be purchased, with a "why not?" link:
Quote:
While gifting is not yet offered in the Kindle store, we are working to make it available in the near future.
I suspect that they won't be in time for my birthday, but for Christmas, this would be very convenient!

I wonder if they will have some wrapping/gift tag technology?
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Great news!
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I'd love this as giving a specific book would be more personal than giving a gift certificate that enables you to buy one. I have tons on my wish list waiting for Christmas (either way).
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
I'd love if people in other geographies could gift you a book that wasn't available in your home country

What are the chances? After all, the purchase would be made in the correct territory...
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
What would be even better if you were allowed to read it yourelf before giving it to the recipient.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peadar Ó Guilín View Post
I'd love if people in other geographies could gift you a book that wasn't available in your home country

What are the chances? After all, the purchase would be made in the correct territory...
What a cunning idea! We could do swapsies. Alternatively, you might be able to pretend to be your own patron without moving your account ...
Old 08-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
What a cunning idea! We could do swapsies. Alternatively, you might be able to pretend to be your own patron without moving your account ...
Brilliant! I would such a generous benefactor... to myself.
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
chichichobits
chichichobits began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm really trying to hold out for the Nook 2 but now I'm leaning towards the kindle
chichichobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #9
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
You know, you can buy DRM free e-books from Baen that work fine as gifts for Kindlers....

(That just occurred to me just now, despite having bought Baen e-books for myself several times, and even having been given some. I guess I'm just slow.)
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #10
Ben Thornton
Guru

If they get this right, and Amazon often do (eventually at least), they will set this up so that the content is delivered automatically on the date that you specify, along with a message. So you can have content appear on someone's Kindle with a "Happy Birthday" message or whatever.

It appeals to me because I often use wishlists to give people ideas of what to get me as presents, and often want books - but I don't really want pbooks if at all possible.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
When I read the title of this thread, I interpreted it as "you can gift your e-books to someone else (e.g. transfer the license)". Wishful thinking on my part.

But THAT would be good news!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Definitely a step in the right direction...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peadar Ó Guilín View Post

It's not unheard of. Steam allows a purchaser to buy games in their country and gift them to someone living in a different country even if the game isn't available in that person's region.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
How nice of them to allow us to do what we already have the right to.

Before we get too excited about how great Amazon is for implementing this, remember that the reason we can't already do these types of things is because the DRM that the copyright cartel insists on is preventing it. If it weren't for DRM, you wouldn't need Amazon's participation/permission to gift an eBook.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #15
Ben Thornton
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
How nice of them to allow us to do what we already have the right to.

Before we get too excited about how great Amazon is for implementing this, remember that the reason we can't already do these types of things is because the DRM that the copyright cartel insists on is preventing it. If it weren't for DRM, you wouldn't need Amazon's participation/permission to gift an eBook.
Yes, it would be better not to have the DRM at all, but given that in the real world, we do, this is an improvement in their service. It will be a useful feature for me, so I'm pleased about it. Anything that the various vendors do to remove hassle associated with doing what one might reasonably expect to do with ebooks is a step forward, it seems to me.

Even better would be a universal standard without DRM, with an open, global market. Back on earth, I'm pleased to see each baby step towards a sensible, workable compromise.