Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
jetBook based on Talking Electronic Dictionary

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/12/prweb1761304.htm

We even included the jetBook Reader into it as well. Upload any e-book into the device and read on for as long as you wish. It's possible to even make photo albums by copying them from your computer to the Partner P900 and carry them along wherever you go."

color display: Touch Sensitive Screen 3.5” 320x240 pixel

Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/12/prweb1761304.htm

We even included the jetBook Reader into it as well. Upload any e-book into the device and read on for as long as you wish. It's possible to even make photo albums by copying them from your computer to the Partner P900 and carry them along wherever you go."

color display: Touch Sensitive Screen 3.5” 320x240 pixel

Too bad the announcement didn't mention that it could read eBooks. Adding TTS to the eBooks would have been a dynamite announcement but as it is it looks like its almost a PDA with a keyboard. I guess its success will be tied to its price point as its base target market is the same as likely less expensive Franklin units. What is the wand for?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Too bad the announcement didn't mention that it could read eBooks. Adding TTS to the eBooks would have been a dynamite announcement but as it is it looks like its almost a PDA with a keyboard. I guess its success will be tied to its price point as its base target market is the same as likely less expensive Franklin units. What is the wand for?

Dale
I checked the description on Ectaco website
http://www.ectaco.com/ECTACO-Partner-EA900-Deluxe/
and see that it has Customizable translating jetBook Reader with FB2, TXT and XML file support and True Voice human pronunciation of all English and Arabic words and phrases so I think it will be possible to listen eBooks.

C-pen can be used to scan text for transfer from paper to this device

Last edited by Kris777; 12-18-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I checked the description on Ectaco website
http://www.ectaco.com/ECTACO-Partner-EA900-Deluxe/
and see that it has Customizable translating jetBook Reader with FB2, TXT and XML file support and True Voice human pronunciation of all English and Arabic words and phrases so I think it will be possible to listen eBooks.

C-pen can be used to scan text for transfer from paper to this device
thanks for the link. At $550 it is pricey for a general audience but for the visually challenged it is reasonably priced. Read eBooks aloud does seem to be implied although not specifically said. The scanner functionality is a neat idea.

I will put it in the wiki later today unless you beat me to it!

Dale
Old 12-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
thanks for the link. At $550 it is pricey for a general audience but for the visually challenged it is reasonably priced. Read eBooks aloud does seem to be implied although not specifically said. The scanner functionality is a neat idea.

I will put it in the wiki later today unless you beat me to it!

Dale
yes, it can be a good choice for people who needs both dictionary and eBook reader features on the same device.
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
yes, it can be a good choice for people who needs both dictionary and eBook reader features on the same device.
3.5"??? poor fellows who opt to read books on such screen.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
3.5"??? poor fellows who opt to read books on such screen.
True but that is the standard size for iPhone and PDA's and there are thousands of people reading eBooks on such devices, maybe millions.

Dale
Old 12-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I trully cannot imagine
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

I sent an email to ETCACO about some of the questions from this forum. Here are the response.

1. Is it the latest with FB2 support?
- no

2. Does the Jetbook reader support TTS so that a book can be read to you out
loud?
- no

3. Does the dictionary support work with the Jetbook eBooks?
- doesn't have such option. JetBook can do that.

4. Are you planning other language dictionaries for this device?
- yes, we are working on all language pairs handling.

5. Are you planning to add Jetbook software to other dictionaries?
- yes, for 900 series

While some of the important questions were no I would hope that asking them might prompt the ETCACO group to rethink some of these issues.

Dale
Old 12-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Are you planning...
When I did my initial jetBook review I asked them if they were planning on supporting any of the popular ebook formats or any DRM formats... and they told me no to both of those too. But, now they have FB2 and have said Mobi is coming. I also asked them if they were going to move to the Foxit reader with reflow support and they said no.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:38 AM   #11
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
When I did my initial jetBook review I asked them if they were planning on supporting any of the popular ebook formats or any DRM formats... and they told me no to both of those too. But, now they have FB2 and have said Mobi is coming. I also asked them if they were going to move to the Foxit reader with reflow support and they said no.

BOb
They told me that jetBook will support EPUB format in February. I'm planning to check new products in their booth on CES Expo in Las Vegas. They will introduce jetBooks and other products in Booth#73422 in the Sands.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
They told me that jetBook will support EPUB format in February. I'm planning to check new products in their booth on CES Expo in Las Vegas. They will introduce jetBooks and other products in Booth#73422 in the Sands.
Well FBReader does have ePUB support but not very good at it with no CSS support. I suspect this is how they get FB2 support.

Dale
Old 12-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I sent an email to ETCACO about some of the questions from this forum. Here are the response.

1. Is it the latest with FB2 support?
- no

2. Does the Jetbook reader support TTS so that a book can be read to you out
loud?
- no

3. Does the dictionary support work with the Jetbook eBooks?
- doesn't have such option. JetBook can do that.

4. Are you planning other language dictionaries for this device?
- yes, we are working on all language pairs handling.

5. Are you planning to add Jetbook software to other dictionaries?
- yes, for 900 series

While some of the important questions were no I would hope that asking them might prompt the ETCACO group to rethink some of these issues.

Dale
Another support person sent me revised answers. 1. FB2 is supported (which jives with the feature list). 3. Dictionary support is available using the built in dictionary.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
There are already a few text-to-speech ebook devices on the market specifically designed for the blind or visually impaired--the APH BookPort (discontinued by the manufacturer, but there are still a lot of new units available from vendors), the BookCourier (similar to the BookPort but designed more for dyslexic/learning disabled rather than blind users), and the VictorReader Stream. They're all designed specifically to be easy to use nonvisually, and the BookPort allows text entry and editing by using a few of the buttons as a chorded braille keyboard.

I've had a VictorReader Stream for just a hair over a year and I use it daily for listening to the news, but simply don't have the patience to listen to entire books using text-to-speech. I mostly use it for audiobooks (it supports the DRM that the library service for the blind uses) and podcasts.

All three units cost between $300 and $400 in U.S. dollars.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote