Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
E-reader apps for Android

I got my first Android phone this weekend, and I've tried four different e-reader programs so far: Kindle, Kobo, FBreader, and Aldiko. Aldiko for the win! It's got a beautiful interface, is very customizable, and best of all, I can drag my epub books into it manually and it will import them with no problem. I deleted the Kobo and FBreader programs. I'll keep the Kindle because if I happen to be reading a Kindle book it will sync between this and my Kindle, and that's pretty handy. If I just had to have one, though, it would be Aldiko. It's very nice.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I didn't know Kindle, Kobo, FBReader, and Aldiko all all different versions of eReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I didn't know Kindle, Kobo, FBReader, and Aldiko all all different versions of eReader.
I know that you only like to use the term "eReader" to refer to a format, but I think a lot of the new people here use the term differently. Not trying to confuse anybody!

I, of course, am referring to different applications for reading electronic books that are available for the Android phone.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!

Thank you to whichever Green Person moved this thread -- I admit I didn't even know there was an Android subforum!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!

And now that I'm here IN the Android subforum, I see that this has been discussed extensively. Sorry, sorry. Very much my fault.

Feel free to ignore.
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
I'm curious to know which phone you bought and how you like it.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
I'm curious to know which phone you bought and how you like it.
I got the LG Ally, which is pretty much an entry level Android phone. I really like it, though. I went from an LG Dare to this, so the jump in performance is mind-boggling. I thought I would wait until Verizon offered the iPhone but my Dare died so I went ahead and got this one. I can't really see right now what I would want from an iPhone that I don't get with this. Android is pretty cool.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:42 AM   #8
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Thanks.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:45 AM   #9
Backdraft
Backdraft began at the beginning.

Device: Android + Aldiko
Wait a few months, you'll be yearning for a higher-end and more powerful Android.

This platform is addictive (especially if you like to tinker).
Backdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
BTW I've used my DroidX the last couple of mornings to read as I walk just before/after sunrise and it is wonderful for that! Reading Mark Murphy's - Android programming books with FBReader.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
BTW I've used my DroidX the last couple of mornings to read as I walk just before/after sunrise and it is wonderful for that! Reading Mark Murphy's - Android programming books with FBReader.
I remember seeing that you've been using FBReader. What do you like better about it than Aldiko? I've been using mine to read in bed at night, and Aldiko lets me make the font really BIG so I don't have to wear my glasses. I had FBReader on here for a little while, and I can't remember why it didn't please me, but it didn't. I need to look at it again, I guess.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I got my first Android phone this weekend, and I've tried four different e-reader programs so far: Kindle, Kobo, FBreader, and Aldiko. Aldiko for the win! It's got a beautiful interface, is very customizable, and best of all, I can drag my epub books into it manually and it will import them with no problem. I deleted the Kobo and FBreader programs. I'll keep the Kindle because if I happen to be reading a Kindle book it will sync between this and my Kindle, and that's pretty handy. If I just had to have one, though, it would be Aldiko. It's very nice.

I have tried several readers on my HTC EVO 4G, and recently settled on Kindle for exactly the reason you have stated. Even though it's not as full featured or pretty as some of the others, the WhisperSync feature more than makes up.

I tend to jump from device to device, and used to sync them with word search. That required me to remember to sync before moving on, which is a time consuming hassle. Since I loaded the Kindle app on everything the problem has been solved. Now if I’m reading something on my PC or tablet or my wife’s K2 and I want to head out, no problem. I just open the Kindle app on my phone; tap the sync button, and wallah! There I am.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I remember seeing that you've been using FBReader. What do you like better about it than Aldiko? I've been using mine to read in bed at night, and Aldiko lets me make the font really BIG so I don't have to wear my glasses. I had FBReader on here for a little while, and I can't remember why it didn't please me, but it didn't. I need to look at it again, I guess.
That is an issue with FBReader....I'd like the (default?) font sizes bigger, but it is useable.

The thing with Aldiko is that I couldn't find an easy way to drag and drop the books in....after spending some time with no success I figured it wasn't worth any more effort. It's possible I missed something....I'm leaning new things about this DX every day it seems.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That is an issue with FBReader....I'd like the (default?) font sizes bigger, but it is useable.

The thing with Aldiko is that I couldn't find an easy way to drag and drop the books in....after spending some time with no success I figured it wasn't worth any more effort. It's possible I missed something....I'm leaning new things about this DX every day it seems.
I've been dragging and dropping epubs into Aldiko with no problem. There is an "import" folder in the "ebooks" folder on the SD card of the phone. Drag the epubs into that folder, then open Aldiko and tell it to import. (I'm not sure whether that import folder was created by Aldiko or not -- I don't remember seeing it the first time I was fooling with it. If it's not there just put one there, though.)
Old 09-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
I've been dragging and dropping epubs into Aldiko with no problem. There is an "import" folder in the "ebooks" folder on the SD card of the phone. Drag the epubs into that folder, then open Aldiko and tell it to import. (I'm not sure whether that import folder was created by Aldiko or not -- I don't remember seeing it the first time I was fooling with it. If it's not there just put one there, though.)

Thanks. I'll give it a shot...I found absolutely nothing on this....admittedly I didn't look real hard...I kinda expect these apps to be somewhat intuitive ...