Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 01:05 AM   #16
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
No, it means you didn't happen to know something, which is ignorance, not stupidity.

But no penalty. It's a relatively obscure bit of trivia most folks probably won't know, because they have no need to.
______
Dennis
like I said... I have a feeling I know a lot of bizarre obscure stuff that I just kind of think everyone else does.... VERY odd childhood/upbringing
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:31 AM   #17
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Thanks for the additional info, Dennis. Just for the record, I just asked my husband if he knew what parchment was made from.... he said "bark?" Guess ignorance is as ignorance does.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 01:36 AM   #18
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
it's not ignorance... some of us just get weird stuff loaded in our grey cells
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:15 AM   #19
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
s'ok, sometimes ignorance is bliss (I think continued ignorance on this fact might have served me better anyway!). I have plenty of random knowledge about bizarre things that does me no good anyway.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:36 AM   #20
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
i thought parchment was what one got during a walk in the desert ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Interesting. I thought vellum came from animal skin.
It does. Vellum is very high-quality parchment, made from young animals (generally lambs or kids) and hence free from the blemishes that parchment made from older animals generally has.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #22
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Thanks for the additional info, Dennis. Just for the record, I just asked my husband if he knew what parchment was made from.... he said "bark?" Guess ignorance is as ignorance does.
And he conflated parchment with papyrus, too. It's an easy enough mistake to make. And most folks have no particular need to know such things, nor an opportunity to learn. Why should they? Unless you're in the publishing, printing, or paper making industries, it's not something you are likely to encounter

I knew of the standard sizes for books - quarto, octavo, et al, but hadn't known that the starting sheet size was determined by the available area of an average sheep skin back then.

Books now are normally produced on sheet fed offset presses, with the same sort of folds and trim to produce the final book size, and the same terms applied, but paper substitutes for parchment.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #23
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
i thought parchment was what one got during a walk in the desert ....
No, during a walk in the desert what one gets is an elephant on the head - if you aren't careful and do your walk between 4 and 5 pm, when they do there parachute exercises.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's why paper was such a revolutionary invention. Preparing parchment was an extremely labour intensive process; it was extremely expensive as a result.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #25
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
No, during a walk in the desert what one gets is an elephant on the head - if you aren't careful and do your walk between 4 and 5 pm, when they do there parachute exercises.
I heard about a US effort during the Vietnam War called Operation Barroom, intended to paradrop an elephant into a remote Vietnamese village for ceremonial purposes. You can strap parachutes to an elephant and parachute it out a plane. The trick is getting it to step out of the plane in flight. That reportedly required heavy duty tranquilization of the animal, and a side effect of the tranqs was extreme flatulence.

The cargo bay crew wore gas masks during the mission.
______
Dennis
Old 09-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #26
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I heard about a US effort during the Vietnam War called Operation Barroom, intended to paradrop an elephant into a remote Vietnamese village for ceremonial purposes. You can strap parachutes to an elephant and parachute it out a plane. The trick is getting it to step out of the plane in flight. That reportedly required heavy duty tranquilization of the animal, and a side effect of the tranqs was extreme flatulence.

The cargo bay crew wore gas masks during the mission.
______
Dennis

I would have thought the first difficulty to be getting the animal on the plane
Old 09-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #27
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Interesting. I'd never really thought about it before. Learn something new every day!
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #28
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I would have thought the first difficulty to be getting the animal on the plane
Nah. Just march it up the cargo ramp. Getting it to step off the plane while in flight was another matter...
______
Dennis
Old 09-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #29
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Nah. Just march it up the cargo ramp. Getting it to step off the plane while in flight was another matter...
______
Dennis
Smart elephant

But didn't it break its legs when landing?
Old 09-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #30
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
And he conflated parchment with papyrus, too. It's an easy enough mistake to make. And most folks have no particular need to know such things, nor an opportunity to learn. Why should they? Unless you're in the publishing, printing, or paper making industries, it's not something you are likely to encounter
I can't remember ever not knowing what parchment is, but Lord Peter Wimsey's interest in antique books taught me a good deal more because I had to look up some words.

Edit: I forgot to add my point, which was that reading is good for you, because you invariably learn something.

Last edited by Ea; 09-16-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote