Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
ThunderTyphoon
ThunderTyphoon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Status of EZ Reader Plus

In early April, Blog author Robert mentioned a new ereader from Aztak called the EZ Reader Plus. Does anyone know when this new model will become available?
ThunderTyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Clearing out before PLUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderTyphoon View Post
In early April, Blog author Robert mentioned a new ereader from Aztak called the EZ Reader Plus. Does anyone know when this new model will become available?
Dear Thunder:

As you can imagine, once the PLUS arrives and is selling we will be at a loss to sell the remaining EZ Reader Basics. We are working now with FRYs to clear them out.

We HOPE to offer the EZ Reader PLUS in about four weeks. It is a fabulous device and we are excited... but the remaining inventory needs to drain down.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
ThunderTyphoon
ThunderTyphoon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the quick reply Robert, I understand.
ThunderTyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
Mazirian
Mazirian began at the beginning.

Device: Aztak Pocket Pro
It seems like this might cause a stand-off situation with your prospective buyers. I'm sure many, if not most of the people out there who would like to buy a 6" device are much like me and have researched it a lot and are well aware that there is a new model coming out and want to wait for it. (Why buy the older model for the same price that the new one is going to be offered at)?

Also I would not hold your breath on selling many units at Fry's as it stands right now. e-reader (Astak or other) placement at their stores is horrible right now. When I went in to try and get a look at the 6" model I had to get a salesperson to help me find them and I practically live in that store :-). And then after finding them on the shelves there are absolutely no display models available.

I for one am anxiously waiting for the PLUS to come out and have no desire to buy the older model to help the inventory levels drop, esp at the current price. Please try and convince them to release it, and just dump the older model for cost or lower.
Mazirian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed, FRYs is hiding EZ Reader Basic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazirian View Post
It seems like this might cause a stand-off situation with your prospective buyers. I'm sure many, if not most of the people out there who would like to buy a 6" device are much like me and have researched it a lot and are well aware that there is a new model coming out and want to wait for it. (Why buy the older model for the same price that the new one is going to be offered at)?

Also I would not hold your breath on selling many units at Fry's as it stands right now. e-reader (Astak or other) placement at their stores is horrible right now. When I went in to try and get a look at the 6" model I had to get a salesperson to help me find them and I practically live in that store :-). And then after finding them on the shelves there are absolutely no display models available.

I for one am anxiously waiting for the PLUS to come out and have no desire to buy the older model to help the inventory levels drop, esp at the current price. Please try and convince them to release it, and just dump the older model for cost or lower.
Dear Mizirian:

I cannot argue. Ever since FRYs consolidated their eBook Readers onto a smaller space they show inventory but cannot find the units. I spent an hour letting them hunt. I am aware the situation is not good.

Just be aware that the Program Manager decides when he will release new product. I am going to a meeting with FRYs on Wednesday afternoon to remedy the situation.

I know you cannot tell; but it is killing me to have to wait even a day longer for the PLUS. I think it is a gtreat device! I know we need it.
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
I was *just about* to purchase an EZ Pro when I saw this thread. And now my head is full of thoughts like:
Wow, a new reader!
What kind of functions is it going to have?
Should I wait for it, or buy the old one and be sorry 3 weeks later?
Are they talking about a 6" device, or is there a 5" too?
And if the old products are going to be hard to sale it means the prise must be pretty low, but with a much better characteristics (contrast, gray levels, wifi maybe). So why buy the old/current models? Looks like a devils circle to me (I hope this expression exist in the English language).

The main question I actually want to ask is: Are you going to start selling the new models after the current are no longer available? Ore are you just worried about the sales of the current models if the new one is (let's say) 10-20% more expensive, but has a lot of new functions, cool design, etc?

Off topic: For questions about purchasing from Europe and delivering to USA, do I write an email to support at astak dot com, or do you have some other mail/phone I couldn't find?
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
LCF, I believe the new model is an updated version of the 6" EZReader, not the 5" Pocket Pro (which was released less than a year ago and a damn good unit if I might say myself).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
Robertb

There is only a 6 inch new model right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
I was *just about* to purchase an EZ Pro when I saw this thread. And now my head is full of thoughts like:
Wow, a new reader!
What kind of functions is it going to have?
Should I wait for it, or buy the old one and be sorry 3 weeks later?
Are they talking about a 6" device, or is there a 5" too?
And if the old products are going to be hard to sale it means the prise must be pretty low, but with a much better characteristics (contrast, gray levels, wifi maybe). So why buy the old/current models? Looks like a devils circle to me (I hope this expression exist in the English language).

The main question I actually want to ask is: Are you going to start selling the new models after the current are no longer available? Ore are you just worried about the sales of the current models if the new one is (let's say) 10-20% more expensive, but has a lot of new functions, cool design, etc?

Off topic: For questions about purchasing from Europe and delivering to USA, do I write an email to support at astak dot com, or do you have some other mail/phone I couldn't find?
Dear LCF:

The only new model in the pipeline right now is the "6 inch EZ Reader PLUS". It will look the same as the existing EZ Reader 6 inch but will be faster and go to 16 level gray scale. You can read everything about it in my blog: www.robertbEZ.blogspot.com Basically, it will bring the 6 inch up to where the 5 inch Pocket PRO is now, basically.

The Pocket PRO went on sale today (see my seperate thread on Mother's Day Blowout). There are no changes that I know of planned for the Pocket PRO.

Eventually this year, we should see another 6 inch and a 9 inch. But, those are using a SIPix screen which is delayed. We have no date yet on when these will finally be built... but they are coming. We do occasionally look at other new models... but nothing is even under heavy consideration now.

The 6 inch will be selling at the SAME price as the existing EZ Reader 6 inch. THAT is why we want to clear out existing inventories. It will NOT cost more.

If you do buy the Pocket PRO I think you will be delighted for quite a while. The Pocket PRO is still state-of-the-art and comes with the crush-resistant case and ear buds included. As of this moment I know of NO plans to change it except via free firmware upgrades. BUT... the price of $175 WITH a free 2GB SD card is only good until May 16.

You can purchase internationally at: www.astak.com. Questions can best be answered by emailing to: support@astak.com.

Welcome, LCF!!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:01 AM   #9
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
LCF, I believe the new model is an updated version of the 6" EZReader, not the 5" Pocket Pro (which was released less than a year ago and a damn good unit if I might say myself).
I see. Good news for me, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear LCF:

The only new model in the pipeline right now is the "6 inch EZ Reader PLUS". It will look the same as the existing EZ Reader 6 inch but will be faster and go to 16 level gray scale. You can read everything about it in my blog: www.robertbEZ.blogspot.com Basically, it will bring the 6 inch up to where the 5 inch Pocket PRO is now, basically.

The Pocket PRO went on sale today (see my seperate thread on Mother's Day Blowout). There are no changes that I know of planned for the Pocket PRO.

Eventually this year, we should see another 6 inch and a 9 inch. But, those are using a SIPix screen which is delayed. We have no date yet on when these will finally be built... but they are coming. We do occasionally look at other new models... but nothing is even under heavy consideration now.

The 6 inch will be selling at the SAME price as the existing EZ Reader 6 inch. THAT is why we want to clear out existing inventories. It will NOT cost more.

If you do buy the Pocket PRO I think you will be delighted for quite a while. The Pocket PRO is still state-of-the-art and comes with the crush-resistant case and ear buds included. As of this moment I know of NO plans to change it except via free firmware upgrades. BUT... the price of $175 WITH a free 2GB SD card is only good until May 16.

You can purchase internationally at: www.astak.com. Questions can best be answered by emailing to: support@astak.com.

Welcome, LCF!!
Dear Rob,

thank you for the long and informativ answer! I guess I'll make my mother a very happy owner of Pocket PRO these days. Thanks again!
Old 05-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
LCF
Wizard

Well, I just ordered the Pocket Pro for my mom. A Maroon color. Hope everything goes fine with using my German credit card for the payment at theEZReader.com

P.S.: I waited almost a week for an answer from the support (abut the payment), but there came none.

Last edited by LCF; 05-08-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: P.S.