Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #61
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I've tried FBReader (and even built it from scratch as an Android App) and it's working great on my DroidX

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #62
qwerty57
qwerty57 began at the beginning.

Device: i-mobile i858
I've tried several ebook readers on my android 1.6 & here's my take so far:

Moon+ reader: reads html & txt files, I haven't tried any txt file but the html files load really slowly... like 3 minutes to open a book. Once the book is open the interface is nice & easy to use. I notice that upgrades have been available every few days, so maybe some bugs are being worked out.

Kindle: Fine if you're buying books from Amazon or have a bunch on mobi files, but will only work with mobi files!

Aldiko: Seems very nice so far. I don't have many epub files, but there seem to be a lot of them available.

txtr: This is the only android free ebook reader software that says it can read pdf files. I happen to have a lot of pdf ebooks & so I gave it a try. Before you can open a pdf file with txtr, you have to log into an Adobe account through the txtr ap. So, I set up an Adobe account and tried it out, but I cannot log in through txtr, although I can log in to my Adobe account on my web browser! Maybe I'll get it working, but so far I'm disappointed with txtr.

Basically, Aldiko seems to be the best of the bunch. It looks like I'll be using Calibre to do a lot of file format conversions in the near future!
qwerty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #63
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I was wandering on adobe's website site
http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublis...ported-devices

Aldiko is adept proof ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #64
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I was wandering on adobe's website site
http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublis...ported-devices

Aldiko is adept proof ?
Hmm, interesting. I wasn't aware of that. I've only loaded drm-free books.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:51 AM   #65
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Another victory for Android

Beamreader kicks ass for pdf files. I have handed the app some pretty big files, and although it renders the large picture books slowly, it works as faithfully as Adobe Reader on the PC. It is shocking that in the Fall of 2010, two iPad apps, Goodreader and iAnnotate, cannot display the images in the Black and Decker Complete Guide to Dream Kitchens properly.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-C...5053991&sr=8-2

Even the native PDF reading software in the Kindle DXG falls flat on its face with the above book. And this book is not an isolated exception. Many how-to picture books are improperly handled by these Apple and Kindle devices.

Now, all of us loyal Android fans can only hope/dream for a large tablet device to compete with the iPad and Kindle DX/DXG. That would smoke Apple and Amazon's bandwagon.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #66
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Now, all of us loyal Android fans can only hope/dream for a large tablet device to compete with the iPad and Kindle DX/DXG. That would smoke Apple and Amazon's bandwagon.
On the hobs in our dream kitchens, presumably.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #67
kennyc

LCD/LEDs still can't compete with e-Ink in sunlight.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #68
CRD
CRD began at the beginning.

Device: None
Smile Help help help!!

Hi, Not sure if I am in the right Thread etc but I am a 'newbie' so here goes. I have just purchased my first ebook reader, off ebay brand new from Hong Kong at a very reasoable price, trouble is I'm not sure what I have bought!!

The very tiny Users Manual has MID written on the front it has a fair ammount of 'Apps' on it Wi-Fi one of them, when I switch it on 'Android' comes up on the screen hence my trying this forum for help.

How do I go about uploading ebooks etc as that is the prime reason I bought it! Any help would be very gratefully received, thanks in anticipation.
CRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #69
kennyc

do you have any kind of manufacturer and model number?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #70
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD View Post
Hi, Not sure if I am in the right Thread etc but I am a 'newbie' so here goes. I have just purchased my first ebook reader, off ebay brand new from Hong Kong at a very reasoable price, trouble is I'm not sure what I have bought!!

The very tiny Users Manual has MID written on the front it has a fair ammount of 'Apps' on it Wi-Fi one of them, when I switch it on 'Android' comes up on the screen hence my trying this forum for help.

How do I go about uploading ebooks etc as that is the prime reason I bought it! Any help would be very gratefully received, thanks in anticipation.
If it is a product with Android OS, there should be an application called "market". That's the Android store, similar to the iTunes concept.
In that "market", you can purchase and download apps - directly on your gadget, without PC/Mac.

In addition, you can do an easy test. On ereader.com/android you find a reader for direct download, without the use of the "market" app. Just direct the mobile browser on your gadget to that link, download and install.
You can read PDB files with that app. For example from the Barnes & Noble (nook) store.

And you should find "about" in the settings menu with specifics about the OS.

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-21-2010 at 11:44 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #71
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
MID = Mobile Internet Device
What you have bought is more than just a book reader, and since it is an Android device thre are a few different book reading programs available for it. Which is just what this thread is all about.
Quote:
It depends on what reader program that you are using as far as the exact method of getting books into the reader program. However, in general you can copy books from you computer to an SD card to use with the reader or use the MID's wireless connection to get books online. IF you get books with DRM(Digital Rights Management) there will be additional restrictions on how you get books for reading software, and no single reader can handle all the different forms of DRM that exist now.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #72
CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
do you have any kind of manufacturer and model number?
Hi Kenny, Thanks for responding, re your question, not a lot I'm afraid apart from it's 256mb 1.6 When it is powered up V1.9_88 appears in the bottom right hand corner?

I think it has a Samsung board in it, not sure though.

Thanks again
Old 09-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #73
CRD

Thanks Dave_S and mgmueller. I will check out the tips
Old 09-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #74
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Hi Kenny, Thanks for responding, re your question, not a lot I'm afraid apart from it's 256mb 1.6 When it is powered up V1.9_88 appears in the bottom right hand corner?
This device?
http://digihero-2k.en.made-in-china....i-Android.html
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #75
CRD

That certainly looks to be the one Dave!

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one