Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
doog_smith
doog_smith doesn't litterdoog_smith doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
Can DRM-protected ePub content from Overdrive be viewed using nook app on iPhone?

Has anybody tried using the nook app on their iPhone/iPod touch to view DRM-protected ePub files downloaded from their public library's Overdrive system?

Thanks for your input!
doog_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
All the B&N apps currently support eReader ebooks, not ePub ebooks. It isn't clear when they will switch to ePub, or what happens when you buy a "Nook" ebook (do you get two versions, one in ePub for the Nook and one in eReader for the PC/iPhone/...).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 03:53 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
All the B&N apps currently support eReader ebooks, not ePub ebooks. It isn't clear when they will switch to ePub, or what happens when you buy a "Nook" ebook (do you get two versions, one in ePub for the Nook and one in eReader for the PC/iPhone/...).
Since the nook can also handle eReader, I would say that if you purchased an eReader eBook, you'd only get eReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since the nook can also handle eReader, I would say that if you purchased an eReader eBook, you'd only get eReader.
As I understand it, the nook with also have Adobe ADE, which will support PDF and Epub in that flavor. What I am not sure about is when implementation of support for Epub under ereader DRM will be implemented.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
seveng
seveng began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Palm Pre
Yeah, BN.com says they support epub with or without Adobe DRM... but I've got a sizable Sony store library. Ideally I'd like to open all those books I've bought for my 500 with my next reader, but the Overdrive books would be a nice second place.

Any PRS converts out there try out Sony's epub?
seveng is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by seveng View Post
Yeah, BN.com says they support epub with or without Adobe DRM... but I've got a sizable Sony store library. Ideally I'd like to open all those books I've bought for my 500 with my next reader
Note that according to a Sony FAQ:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony FAQ
When the store is converted, customers will be able to re-download their previously purchased books in EPUB format.
So you will be able to read you existing library on any device which uses the Adobe RMSDK (except the Kindle)

Last edited by Jim Lester; 12-03-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
bibliovault
bibliovault has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bibliovault has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bibliovault has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: all!
I've been able to read Adobe DRM-ed PDFs on the Nook. Plug in the Nook via USB, then open Digital Editions--it'll detect the Nook and display it in the sidebar. Then you can drag things from your Digital Editions Library onto the little Nook in the sidebar.

I also looked at a bunch of unprotected epubs without any problems--they looked very nice on the Nook.
bibliovault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
layand
layand began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
DRM epub

^^^^^ I followed the above steps and no luck. It shows up in My Documents folder on my computer but it does not show up on my Nook. Any other suggestions?

***UPDATE: As soon as I posted this, I ejected my Nook for the second time and it popped up. I guess it just wasn't moving fast enough for me!***

Last edited by layand; 02-04-2010 at 11:54 PM.
layand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:01 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can use the txtr app on an iPhone to view adept DRMed ePub. I don't know if it works with the time limited version DRM. But give it a go. It might work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:29 AM   #10
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can use the txtr app on an iPhone to view adept DRMed ePub. I don't know if it works with the time limited version DRM. But give it a go. It might work.
It does not work, sadly. I thought the same thing and tried it the other day quite excitedly.

Apparently Overdrive requires the ability to remotely "fulfill" your books on whatever device you open them, and the txtr app doesn't support this.

The txtr folks are aware of the issue. We may get an update which fixes this at some point.

I know of no way to read Overdrive books on an iPhone currently.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote