Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #76
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by klikklak View Post
so mgmueller, you don't think comics are _readable_ (as in the text), even on landscape mode, showing half of the page at a time? And soc-psych, what type of comics did you try? regular magazine strips? .. paperback book size comics, like manga, is what I'm interested in most. I don't think 2000ad or other a4 size magazines would work that well.
Comics ARE readable in landscape mode. But in my personal opinion, "scrolling" through a comic simply kills the fun. In a comic, you should be able to see the entire page. Not a single painting, then scrolling to the the text bubble, then scrolling to the next painting....
Or at least, if you can't see the entire page, there should be a "clever" zooming feature.
On iRex iLiad (sorry, but it's my favorite for PDF), I blow a certain area to full screen. If necessary, I simply can "pan" that area.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #77
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soc-psychologist View Post
I think the main problem with your Opus actually is that you compare a device that was intended especially to be small and portable to a device that was not. Taking into account the size and other restrictions that naturally follow from a device that size, it is an excellent piece of machinery in many ways.

Obviously you are not going to be satisfied with your screwdriver if you are using it on nails. Same with Opus. It is a small device with a very affordable price. Something that Iliad really really really is not. I've converted some really old comics using Calibre and the end result has been more then what I could've hoped for. Obviously ORIGINAL .pcr fileformatted comics would be ideal. I'm not even very sure if making a reflowable comic.pdf's would be possible? I think it would require pretty advanced programming skills and a much sturdier processor from the Opus or what have you.

--Michael
I guess, it all comes down to the point of view:
a.) It's a small unit. Given those circumstances, within its limitations, it's doing a good job.
or
b.) I want to compare various units and will choose the best for my specific demands. Maybe this means 2 or 3 units, depending on data format, environment (beach or couch), lighting conditions, ...

I agree, quality of OPUS for most demands is perfectly fine.
But, especially for Comics, in my opinion the small screen is too much a compromise.
Would there be a touchscreen, simply touching the respective are, blowing that to full screen, checking out some detail and zooming out again might be comfortable enough.
But using the onscreen menu and quite a few button pushes, simply kills the fun.
For the moment, I've come the conclusion, using Opus solely for ePUBS (which still is a huge potential), not for PDFs. Reflow, changing the layout structure, IS a compromise, but within standard documents an acceptable one.
PDF's zooming on the other hand, without touchscreen takes too much time and kind of kills the fun. And the small screen quickly reaches its limits of readability.

Last edited by mgmueller; 08-05-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #78
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
Oh, that's good news. Because I disagree that scrolling will kill the fun. I was worried for a moment that it wouldn't be readable. I've only read manga on a prs500, where I had to skip some smaller text bubbles (non critical anyway), because I couldn't read them. And I was worried that it'd be like that for all the speech bubbles. But if it's not, excellent! That'll make waiting for an affordable 9" device all the more easy.
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #79
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Oh, that's good news. Because I disagree that scrolling will kill the fun. I was worried for a moment that it wouldn't be readable. I've only read manga on a prs500, where I had to skip some smaller text bubbles (non critical anyway), because I couldn't read them. And I was worried that it'd be like that for all the speech bubbles. But if it's not, excellent! That'll make waiting for an affordable 9" device all the more easy.
With 9", it won't be any problem at all.
On iRex 1000s (not very convenient to hold sometimes, though) each bubble easily is readable (as long as the qulity is good enough to allow zooming).
Old 08-06-2009, 06:04 PM   #80
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
so mgmueller, you don't think comics are _readable_ (as in the text), even on landscape mode, showing half of the page at a time? And soc-psych, what type of comics did you try? regular magazine strips? .. paperback book size comics, like manga, is what I'm interested in most. I don't think 2000ad or other a4 size magazines would work that well.
Some pictures from a comic on Cybook Opus, landscape and portrait.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06761.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	895.5 KB
ID:	33730   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06764.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	897.1 KB
ID:	33731   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06765.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	870.9 KB
ID:	33732   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06768.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	872.2 KB
ID:	33733   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06769.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	841.7 KB
ID:	33734  
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 02:46 AM   #81
Soc-psychologist
Soc-psychologist began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Cybook Opus, N91
Quote:
? And soc-psych, what type of comics did you try? regular magazine strips? .. paperback book size comics, like manga, is what I'm interested in most.
A4-size DC comic converted with Calibre to the measures of the Opus.

--Michael
Soc-psychologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #82
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
Thanks for the pictures mgmueller, I think that settles it, my needs will be met just fine on the opus.
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybook, opus