Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
Ellie1928
Ellie1928 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Developing an epub reader

First of all, does Amazon already have its own app store and has anyone started selling his own applications through it?

Second, if yes, is submitting of reader/viewer applications possible? I know Amazon says "no generic eBook readers", but what if someone would write, say, an ePub viewer, for ePub only, would that fall under that rule? What about a MathML or SVG viewer, anything that would help bring scientific texts to the Kindle without using printing formats (i.e. PDF)?
Ellie1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Tvangeste
Enthusiast
Tvangeste began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Unofficial ebub reader is already available (in *alpha* form) for Kindle. Naturally, requires jailbreaking. Take a look at the FBReader thread for the more info.

As for Amazon, I doubt it very much that they *ever* to allow epub reader in their store. KDK terms explicitly ban that, and for the reason!
Tvangeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvangeste View Post
Unofficial ebub reader is already available (in *alpha* form) for Kindle. Naturally, requires jailbreaking. Take a look at the FBReader thread for the more info.

As for Amazon, I doubt it very much that they *ever* to allow epub reader in their store. KDK terms explicitly ban that, and for the reason!
"duokan" does not require jailbreaking.
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Tvangeste
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzwind View Post
"duokan" does not require jailbreaking.
Yes, it does! No unauthorized apps on non-jailbroken Kindle. And duokan is definitely unauthorized.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvangeste View Post
Yes, it does! No unauthorized apps on non-jailbroken Kindle. And duokan is definitely unauthorized.
Hmm? You can update to duokan by copying files over to your kindle and updating your kindle with the same method as amazon uses. Technically you are still jailed... instead of an american jail you get a chinese jail but it is still a jail
Jailbreaking means getting access to hardware in a way that was not intended. Like root-prompt access.

edit look at this post:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...98&postcount=1

How is it installed?
Note: Jailbreak is NOT required
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Rinzwind: It doesn't install a permanent publickey, but it uses the exact same exploit as the jailbreak in order to install an unsigned update.

Think of it a bit like the old 'no jailbreak needed' updates for fw <= 2.3 (-ex flag on the packager). The exploit is actually used directly in each update file, instead of a standalone jailbreak. (Which I think is way more useful/cleaner, which is why I didn't update the -ex flag in the packager).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-18-2010 at 03:47 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Tvangeste
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzwind View Post
How is it installed?
Note: Jailbreak is NOT required
It just means that the jailbreak is part of the update itself and there is no need to perform separate jailbreak activity.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Honestly I could see amazon adding Adobe ADE support in an app with restrictions so that it can compete with nook/sony readers for digital library features now that I've looked into them.

Every digital library uses ADE which is EPUB.. Most allow 7 day loans, and you need a login/pass.

Would not be hard, make this app do the following:
- Support only ADE drm EPUB, drm free books not supported.
- Do not support books that have long lending periods <14 days (or some arbitrary number)

Problem solved. Amazon kindle users can check out books from the library. However, they can not buy drm books from other stores, and can not read epub books permanently. Keeps them in the running with other readers. No harm done.

Any user that really wants to read these books any other way will have to strip the DRM to do so (which isn't hard, but they shouldn't have to do this to read a book they check out from their library on kindle...) Convert to mobi, or install third party reader.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
Ellie1928
Ellie1928 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Ah, thank you, that answers a few questions.
Ellie1928 is offline   Reply With Quote