Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #31
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
They will be presenting it at the booth of their German distributor, MacLAND. More info here:

http://www.macland.de/55+M5b1c4eaa8ef.html

Btw, if you could manage to shoot some photos for us that would be great.
Yes, I will make pictures if I find them . I searched by key word MacLAND on http://www.cebit.de/ but received reply:

0 search results for Search term: MacLAND, Category: in all sections
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #32
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I agree about the smudgy screen. Our Canon printer at work is touch screen and it is always a little smudgy and also the button action is a bit hit and miss and clunky on the screen.
And my nieces touch screen Nintendo DS is scratched pretty badly through using the stylus all the time.
I've had my PDA for 4 or 5 years now and no scratches and fingerprints at all. But I do use a screen protector (from day one)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #33
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Yes, I will make pictures if I find them . I searched by key word MacLAND on http://www.cebit.de/ but received reply:

0 search results for Search term: MacLAND, Category: in all sections

Quote:
Saal "Berlin" im Convention Center-Erdgeschoss (mitten auf dem Gelände, gegenüber von Halle 6
http://www.messe.de/cc_3_d?x=1

Looks like I'll have to head over towards hall 6 anyway...

Edit:

Quote:
MacLAND-Day @ CeBIT am Freitag, den 06.03.2009 im Convention Center

CeBIT - am Freitag, den 06.03.09 würden wir Sie gerne zum "MacLAND-Day @ CeBIT" begrüßen
So, they're only there on Friday...

Last edited by Sweetpea; 02-27-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #34
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have seen the prototype but can't talk about it much yet. Assuming Astak and BeBook have the same device in the works. Jinke is quite protective about it. 3G is a bit problematic in that it is likely to add $50 to the cost and a subscription on top of that. At least from Astak the WiFi is more likely.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #35
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But if it is touch screen I assume the sharpness will not be as good as without a touch screen. First I thought the specification looked like the .txtr reader but they had not touch screen if I remember correctly.
It certainly looks as sharp although there is a slight decrease in contrast (only barely noticeable). It is just as non-glare as the original based on my brief look at it.

Dale
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #36
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
http://www.messe.de/cc_3_d?x=1

Looks like I'll have to head over towards hall 6 anyway...

Edit:

So, they're only there on Friday...
Too bad, I will be there on Mon and Tue only.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #37
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Ahh, but I will be there on Friday!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #38
rjh
Connoisseur
rjh doesn't litterrjh doesn't litter

Device: TungstenT3 Nokia770 BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
Will it be hanlin clone? V9x series?
I suspect it is, or at least a close derivative of those. BeBook already have a relationship with Jinke, and the V9 fits the feature set, and is already well overdue.

I suppose it is problematic for BeBook to support too many different versions, but I certainly hope that they continue to offer a 6" OI supported product - either the V3 as it currently is, or a new, improved 6" device close enough to the V3 in hardware for OI support to be trivial.

I'd be happy with an updated V3 with the new display controller, plastic display, 5-way navigation, and better page turn buttons. Having used Stanza on the ipod, I'd have to say wifi would be very nice, too.
rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:05 AM   #39
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you're not. Personally I can't bear to have fingerprints on a screen and prefer hardware buttons. Touch screens, however, do seem to be generally regarded as "better", so I guess that's probably what all future devices will have. As long as they at least have hardware buttons for page turning I can live with it .
My feelings exactly.
But, in that case, I will certainly be a bit mad for having to pay for something I don't really want...

How well, it might just be a fashion, and like all fashions it will eventually go again...
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #40
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you're not. Personally I can't bear to have fingerprints on a screen and prefer hardware buttons. Touch screens, however, do seem to be generally regarded as "better", so I guess that's probably what all future devices will have. As long as they at least have hardware buttons for page turning I can live with it .
Yep, the version I saw had 4 buttons, two on each side to turn pages with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have seen the prototype but can't talk about it much yet. Assuming Astak and BeBook have the same device in the works. Jinke is quite protective about it. 3G is a bit problematic in that it is likely to add $50 to the cost and a subscription on top of that. At least from Astak the WiFi is more likely.

Dale
I was told that there will be a software posibility to turn off the 3G. And you can put in any SIM card (I assume it must be connected to a 3G subscription, but that's logical...) So, I doubt a 3G subscription is part of the base product.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #41
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Yep, the version I saw had 4 buttons, two on each side to turn pages with.

I was told that there will be a software posibility to turn off the 3G. And you can put in any SIM card (I assume it must be connected to a 3G subscription, but that's logical...) So, I doubt a 3G subscription is part of the base product.
I agree a included 3G subscription is not very likely. Amazon factors that cost into its books and it is intended to be used to buy books from Amazon. A generic capability would run extra and the capability is useless without a plan of some sort. You would have to be able to shut it off to save batteries, use in on an airplane, etc. Even including the hardware raises the base price of the unit so I would hope there is a model without it.

Dale
Old 03-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #42
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
I agree a included 3G subscription is not very likely. Amazon factors that cost into its books and it is intended to be used to buy books from Amazon. A generic capability would run extra and the capability is useless without a plan of some sort.
But this does not need to cost anything. In for example Sweden a 3G sim card with pay as you use it is very cheap. You then pay maybe $2-$3 per Mb. So to use it to synchronize status information for example will essentially be free.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #43
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But this does not need to cost anything. In for example Sweden a 3G sim card with pay as you use it is very cheap. You then pay maybe $2-$3 per Mb. So to use it to synchronize status information for example will essentially be free.
Well, I guess that if devices can be designed for the US then they could also be designed specifically for Sweden. How many are likely to be sold there?

Dale
Old 03-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Well, I guess that if devices can be designed for the US then they could also be designed specifically for Sweden. How many are likely to be sold there?

Dale
You can get prepaid SIM cards in the US too Dale. $3 a Mb? I assume he mean MB but DAMN that is expensive.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #45
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
What do you mean? Are you referring to the different 3G frequencies?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote