Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
Stridr
Stridr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Problem with calibre-converted books on Kindle Paperwhite 2

I just got a new Kindle Paperwhite 2 and am trying to load books on it. I'm "sideloading" DSM-free books onto it via the USB cable.

Some were already in mobi format and these worked OK.

However, most of what I have is in epubs. I converted these via Calibre into the "new" mobi format. I then tested them by opening them with the Amazon Kindle app on my Mac--they opened fine.

However, when I upload them to the Kindle, they do not open. They show up in the list of books conver view, or in the title/author lists, however when I try to read one I get this pop-up box: "Unable to Open Item. The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it again from the Cloud on Home."

This happens with EVERY epub that I've converted via Calibre. Like I said, they open fine using the Kindle reader on my Mac.

What am I doing wrong?
Stridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
duydangle
Connoisseur
duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW|PW3
Use the "old" mobi or KF8-azw3. Kindle seems to have problems with the "new" mobi. I remember Calibre warned that.
duydangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #3
Cthulhu4u
Cthulhu4u began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I'm not sure. I have a couple things to try though. Keep in mind that I have a Kindle Fire HD, not a paperwhite. When you convert them, put them in either AZW3 or old MOBI format. I have had trouble with margins being messed up on a very few MOBI files, but once I made them AZW3, that worked out well. I'm no expert, but give it a try.
Cthulhu4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #4
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
I've had no issues with converted epubs. I plug in my PW2 to my PC, fire up Cailbre , select the books I want to read on my PW2, click "send to device" and allow Cailbre to convert to **OLD** .mobi and that's it.
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
Rugalb
Rugalb began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I use calibre to convert epub to AZW3 and no problems so far. It is my first Kindle and my first time using Calibre, and I found it extremely easy.
Rugalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Stridr-
You might check to see what your default file type is (in Calibre) for sending to that particular device (PW2)...be sure that 'mobi' or 'azw3' are checked and first in the list. Calibre may be 'sending' or 'converting on send' to a different format. Good Luck. Let us know when you get it sorted.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:58 AM   #7
Stridr
Stridr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I was eventually able to sort this out. I had "mobi" checked and also the box for the "new format". None of the mobi files generated with these settings worked on my Kindle Paperwhite 2. What is weird is they worked fine on my Kindle for Mac app, but not on the Paperwhite.

When I instead checked "AZW3" they all worked fine on both.

This is with the Mac version of Calibre. It could be that this isn't an issue on the Windows version.
Stridr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kindle paperwhite, problems, unable to open