Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
richardsugg
richardsugg began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Advice on creating an IOS app

I keep my Calibre library (books and metadata.db) in Dropbox. If I need a book, I can just go to Dropbox, drill down to the book, click on the book, and open it in iBooks or another application.

I'd like to create an IOS app that will read metadata.db directly (read-only, no writes) to search for a book and open in the appropriate application.

Does anyone have any feedback or caveats to doing this? Any potential problems?
richardsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In addition to the Dropbox app, Documents for iPad does what you want.

Marvin also does what you want - you can open a book in Dropbox or via OPDS. If it's an ePub, Marvin will display it, otherwise it will offer up the available 'Open in' apps.

If you want to write such a program yourself, you're probably better off in an iOS developer's forum.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
richardsugg

Marvin was a great suggestion -- it does 90% of what I'd like. I may go ahead anyway because I wanted an excuse to develop on IOS, but I really appreciate the suggestion.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
richardsugg

BTW - just saw that you are a Calibre contributor. I really, really appreciate Calibre. I looked at a lot of other applications, and nothing can really touch Calibre.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
ParadiseLost
Enthusiast
ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
What else is it that you want an app to do? You may try suggesting it to the marvin creator. Hes quite responsive and often is willing to add as users request. There is a posting for the marvin app here on mobileread. Check it out.
ParadiseLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There has been mention here of Marvin, but if you purely want an app that can browse an OPDS catalog and then download a book and pass it to an appropriate app then "ebook search" is a good candidate.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ios, ipad, iphone