Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Maybe your standards for what qualifies as an "error" are low ?
No, they are not. I detest errors.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #17
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast
Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The version of LOTR sold by Amazon seems to be pretty error-free.
Are the separate books error free or just the trilogy combined?

Edit: Also, i thought publishers had the same version across all stores? I was thinking about getting a Kobo Glo since the Paperwhite is having so many QA issues but if there's a chance their library of books may be of different quality then Amazon's.... which i would think the publishers are more likely to listen to if a problem with a certain book's quality should arise, with the Kindle's giant customer base.

Sorry if this post isn't clear, i'm a bit tired right now. And dizzy. Also, thanks for all the help guys!

Last edited by Big McLargeHuge; 11-10-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Big McLargeHuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #18
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
The version of LOTR sold by Amazon seems to be pretty error-free.
Anyone know of an ePub version which is error free?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Anyone know of an ePub version which is error free?
The Houghton Mifflin Harcourt version I got from Kobo earlier this year doesn't have the errors from the errata thread.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #20
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, Brian
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 04:07 AM   #21
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think there have always been 'rough' spots with any new technology and ebooks wouldn't be likely to be the exception there. Probably early printing with Gutenberg's presses had their fair share of problems. We just don't know about them because a lot of the books he and others printed back then are no longer extant and those that remain are among the best. I mean take Gutenberg's Bible for an example. He printed up 200 copies in the 1450's and of those only 48 copies (just about a quarter) of that run are still known to exist.
Rough spots, They are taking over the books Amy Pond. Wait.. Who..
I got it, this isn't a rough spot It's the DALEKS!!!

Most books don't have rough spots but total destruction of the text. LOTR was bad, but acceptable. Most ebooks are way worse and shouldn't get the 'rough spots' excuse. They get death.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:14 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Most books don't have rough spots but total destruction of the text.
I buy quite a few eBooks (typically 4-6 a week) and I certainly haven't come across any where the text has been "totally destroyed". The overwhelming majority of commercial eBooks from big-name publishers seem to be pretty well done these days.

Can you give some examples of commercial ebooks where the text has been totally destroyed?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:17 AM   #23
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
No, they are not. I detest errors.
Are you anal retentive about ebook errors or about any errors in other areas as well?
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #24
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Quote:
I buy quite a few eBooks (typically 4-6 a week) and I certainly haven't come across any where the text has been "totally destroyed". The overwhelming majority of commercial eBooks from big-name publishers seem to be pretty well done these days.

Can you give some examples of commercial ebooks where the text has been totally destroyed?
A lot of the books that I bought for my kindle were really bad with ocr errors that kept knocking me out of the story, some were not readable because of this. When put on the spot it is hard to remember. I've been spending most of my reading time this year on the Wheel of Time, so haven't read much else.

I can check tomorrow, to see which ones. but threr were a lot that I quit reading because of this.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #25
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast
Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
A lot of the books that I bought for my kindle were really bad with ocr errors that kept knocking me out of the story, some were not readable because of this. When put on the spot it is hard to remember. I've been spending most of my reading time this year on the Wheel of Time, so haven't read much else.

I can check tomorrow, to see which ones. but threr were a lot that I quit reading because of this.
How are the wheel of time books? I'm getting those ebooks at some point.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Are you anal retentive about ebook errors or about any errors in other areas as well?
Spelling and grammatical errors make me cringe wherever I see them. Formatting errors bother me as well. Right now there is something wrong with Google Chrome on my machine, and it's goofing up buttons (like in the pic below) and other things and driving me rather batty.

pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #27
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
yea, I'm anal about errors that distract me and interrupt my concentration. I recently bought several Harlan Ellison books from both Baen and Kobo. These are produced my Edgeworks and the quality ranges from good to bloody awful. Some of the books had not been proofed at all, save for a quick run through a spell checker, maybe. The result was that in one story there were references to "heaters" and "beaters". I finally figured out that since the "heaters" and "beaters" were always overhead that the correct term was "beaters" and it was slang for helicopter. There were many other errors like this as well as the well know scanning errors, "die" for "the". On some of the books the formatting and layout sucked dead bunnies. Margins that take up almost a quarter of the screen width. Introductions to stories that follow without a break from the previous story and then have a page break at the start of the story. I find it hard to believe that anyone actually looked at the book on any reader. Of the books I read, the quality of about half the books (not the writing) is just bloody shit! There is simply no excuse for this shoddy level of quality for something that I'm expected to pay for. I can find higher quality books on usenet. Yea, I'm anal and I'm pissed by these ebook error.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've had one eBook where the formatting was non-existent because of errors in the CSS. I was able to fix the CSS and read the eBook. But if I could not have stripped the DRM, I would never have been able to get at the CSS to fix it. That one was never looked at after being "finished". If it was, it would have been seen that the formatting was not there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #29
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
yea, I'm anal about errors that distract me and interrupt my concentration. I recently bought several Harlan Ellison books from both Baen and Kobo. These are produced my Edgeworks and the quality ranges from good to bloody awful. Some of the books had not been proofed at all, save for a quick run through a spell checker, maybe. The result was that in one story there were references to "heaters" and "beaters". I finally figured out that since the "heaters" and "beaters" were always overhead that the correct term was "beaters" and it was slang for helicopter. There were many other errors like this as well as the well know scanning errors, "die" for "the". On some of the books the formatting and layout sucked dead bunnies. Margins that take up almost a quarter of the screen width. Introductions to stories that follow without a break from the previous story and then have a page break at the start of the story. I find it hard to believe that anyone actually looked at the book on any reader. Of the books I read, the quality of about half the books (not the writing) is just bloody shit! There is simply no excuse for this shoddy level of quality for something that I'm expected to pay for. I can find higher quality books on usenet. Yea, I'm anal and I'm pissed by these ebook error.
Can you give me a few examples of books with errors? I'd like to get an idea of what books and publishers to avoid.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't think you need worry about it. I buy lots of eBooks (about 5 or so a week, normally) and have never come across one that has more than the occasional OCR error in it. Plus, if you buy from Amazon, you can return any eBook for a full refund within 7 days of purchase.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote