Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #1
gregr209
Enthusiast
gregr209 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 / Kindle
Dead Pixels?

I just noticed that I have a solid line of what seems to be dead pixels going down the screen. When the screen flashes black you can see a solid line of white going down the screen. Also it is there when the screen saver is on and there is black in the picture. This seems to have just happened over the last few hours. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix? I wonder if a reset would work. I did turn the unit on and off but it didn't seem to do anything. I didn't think e-ink acted like pixels on a screen.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Greg
gregr209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
This has shown up in the 505 and 500 before, but this is the first time that I've heard of it in the Kindle. You can try a reset, but most likely the screen is defective. You'll probably have to send it in to be repaired.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
gregr209
Enthusiast

Arggghhhhhh! Well I have tried a reset and have removed the battery and the line is still there. The thing is still readable but annoying to some degree. You really can't tell it is there when reading a book only when the page flashes to turn and you use the screen saver. I put in a trouble ticket with Kindle support. We shall see what happens :-( I might have to get a Sony 505 just as a back up. I can't imagine not having some kind of ereader to use :-)

Greg
Old 12-29-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Take a photo of the defect just in case. That way Amazon cannot claim it's your fault if for some reason it gets worse during shipping or whatnot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:35 AM   #5
gregr209
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Take a photo of the defect just in case. That way Amazon cannot claim it's your fault if for some reason it gets worse during shipping or whatnot.
GREAT idea!!!! Thanks! I will take a picture of it. That way I can also send it to the Kindle Support folks.

Thanks!
Greg
Advert
Old 12-30-2007, 03:13 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's probably a problem with the screen controller rather than the screen itself. Yes, needs to go back to be fixed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
First broken screen:
http://www.crunchgear.com/2007/12/29...s-anyone-else/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	borkenkindle.jpeg
Views:	1806
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	8930  
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A classic picture of a broken substrate.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:49 PM   #9
philodox
philodox doesn't litterphilodox doesn't litter

Device: Bookeen CyBook Gen 3
I have what I assume is one dead or inverted pixel right near the very top of my Cybook. It is only visible when choosing a book as it shows up on the black border. When reading a book the text doesn't get written to that area of the screen anyways, so no big deal.
philodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
gregr209
Enthusiast

The picture above is what I have except I only have one single line going down the screen. Hopefully it won't spread. I would cry if my Kindle was like the one pictured above!

Amazon got back to me but wants me to call them, which I will do tomorrow to see how they will fix it. I'll keep you posted!

Greg
Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #11
Sage
Sage began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
My daughter got a new Nintendo DS a started seeing these dead pixels after just two days. Is this broken substrate thing all physical or is there a software error too?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #12
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
My daughter got a new Nintendo DS a started seeing these dead pixels after just two days. Is this broken substrate thing all physical or is there a software error too?
If they're really dead pixels, it's entirely physical. On something like a DS, you can tell by using different software - if the pixels are still there, then it's not a software bug.

Sometimes, gently or forcefully massaging the affected area can restore the dead pixel to its normal operating state, but it's not very likely.

Nintendo used to have a 0-dead-pixel policy, and would replace any DS with dead pixels. However, that was back at launch, not now that the DS is selling like crack-laced hotcakes. I don't know if the policy still exists.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:41 AM   #13
gregr209
Enthusiast

Just to keep everyone up to date on my single line of dead pixels down my Kindle screen - Amazon has shipped out my replacement and I should have it on Thursday. I called the problem in last Wednesday so it hasn't really taken to long to get the replacement. Hopefully the new one will be okay. Time to back up my old Kindle to get ready for the new one :-)

Greg
Old 01-09-2008, 02:43 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr209 View Post
Just to keep everyone up to date on my single line of dead pixels down my Kindle screen - Amazon has shipped out my replacement and I should have it on Thursday. I called the problem in last Wednesday so it hasn't really taken to long to get the replacement. Hopefully the new one will be okay. Time to back up my old Kindle to get ready for the new one :-)

Greg
Kudos to Amazon for reacting promptly!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #15
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
For the most part I'm a happy Amazon customer so I'm glad to see that their CS is still good.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote