Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
A few more helpful details .......... ?

Well, you can't say she's stuck in a groove.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...p-7640788.html

At first glance, pretty brave... some would say foolhardy ?
I look forward to it, especially after seeing her trawl her way through labyrinthine French and German local beaurocracy, town hall officials and dusty files to trace her ancestors.... bell or two ringing vaguely there ?
I wonder............

Be interesting to see how many solid JKR "anti's" give this a look....
No magic though, so have to think of something else.......

Mind you, for the truly committed, there's always the " too lightweight/ inconsequential / not relevant / she's too rich / for children / not for children, she should know her place / no magic, she should know her place / what the hell does she know about real life / wouldn't read it anyway, bound to be rubbish like all the rest " approach to literature ....

Unless - heaven forbid - it's actually good....... that'd bugger things up.

Oh, forgot... "not on ebook, typical, she's .... oh...."
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
She switched publishers. That surprises me. Wasn't she rejected by several publishers before being accepted by Bloomsbury? You'd think she'd be more appreciative and loyal.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Maybe they had "unreconcilable differences"? I'm sure they've also made a few bob on the HP series, so they likely won't be too heartbroken by the parting. After all, nothing else she writes from here on will make a fraction the money HP has.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
She switched publishers. That surprises me. Wasn't she rejected by several publishers before being accepted by Bloomsbury? You'd think she'd be more appreciative and loyal.
Kind of like people would think a prostitute would be loyal to a pimp, or a junkie would be loyal to a pusher. And after all they've been through together...
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Kind of like people would think a prostitute would be loyal to a pimp, or a junkie would be loyal to a pusher. And after all they've been through together...
They usually are.
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Rowling's attitude towards publishers seems to be that she'll use them as long as they are useful. Her gratitude quota was probably exhausted when she dealed them in for a slice of Pottermore.

As for her new book being different, well, there is a long tradition of writers and artists strongly identified with one character/genre trying to break away from that identification. She pretty clearly would rather be remembered as a *writer* than just as the creator of HARRY POTTER.

Judging by the description of the new book, she may actually have something specific to say (Beyond: "I can write! And not just Harry...").

Quote:
"What lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war. Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils." The story follows the battle for the empty seat on the parish council "in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations".
The question I see here is how this new story will travel.
HARRY POTTER is very british in tone and culture but its appeal is pretty much universal.

Delving into contemporary british social commentary might conceivably be enthralling. For Britons and (some) Canadians.
The rest of us?
Even Jane Austen took a while to build her rep. (Like, centuries. )

A good test of her writing skills.

Now, the thing is going to launch big; even 500 blank pages with her name on it would sell. But the measure of this book is going to be in how long is sells well and where it sells well.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
"What lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war. Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils." The story follows the battle for the empty seat on the parish council "in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations".
As someone who enjoys escapist entertainment, which is why I like HP, the synopsis does nothing for me. Still, I hope she enjoys ongoing success.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
You might think that, but contracts for new writers (which she signed with them for the 1st HP book, and possibly the 2nd and 3rd at the same time, that's not uncommon) are often . . . not very favorable to the writer. In fact, they're often outright screw jobs. Once you've got one (or three) books of a series with one publisher, it's generally a bad idea to switch. And there may have been a right of first refusal on any new books in the series for said publisher.

In any event, it's not at all uncommon, especially for a writer looking to do "something different" than what they're known for. Lois McMaster Bujold is a loyal Baen author, but when she wanted to do some fantasy (rather than science fiction) she went to a different publisher "just because." And when she went back to science fiction, she went back to Baen.

In any event, loyal is only loyalty if it's reciprocal, and publishers are, generally speaking, loyal only to their profit/loss statements, and not a damned thing else.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Rowling's attitude towards publishers seems to be that she'll use them as long as they are useful. Her gratitude quota was probably exhausted when she dealed them in for a slice of Pottermore...........
The question I see here is how this new story will travel..........
Delving into contemporary british social commentary might conceivably be enthralling. For Britons and (some) Canadians........
The rest of us?

A good test of her writing skills..........
Well, I don't really see much of an ongoing attitude here to be frank.
She stayed with Bloomsbury for the long haul, all the Potters, so I don't think you can imply - if you are - she's treated them unfairly.
She saved them as a company, basically, although I don't expect either knew that at the time - serendipity. (?)

And I shall be very interested to see if it does travel -but it won't make it a "worse" work. If she's writing to clear out the Potter within, I don't expect she'll worry too much !

And, indeed, a real test of her writing - but it will also be a very hard test for every section of the reading community to distance the present, from the Potter past.
Will it be dragged up at every opportunity ?
We'll see, but it will be a terribly easy headline hook, favourable or otherwise.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
Maybe she's just decided to write what the hell she wants, and doesn't really care if it has global appeal. I think that attitude would endure her to a lot of people
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Well, I don't really see much of an ongoing attitude here to be frank.
She stayed with Bloomsbury for the long haul, all the Potters, so I don't think you can imply - if you are - she's treated them unfairly.
No, I'm not implying she's treating them unfairly.
On the contrary; I *approve* of her business sense. From the way she managed the movie licensing, to the merchandising, to the way she's treated Bloomsbury and Scholastica. She has never shown any (public) signs of discontent and she brought them into POTTERMORE when she didn't have to. Business is business and impersonal and she's generally raked in the cash without pandering or grubbing. Or leaving (visible) bodies in her wake.
Nicely done, really.

As for the book; as I said, it'll be interesting how it works out. Whether it travels or not.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Also, if she wants to break away from the HP identity, it makes sense to change publishers to remove as many of the previous associations as possible.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
Also, if she wants to break away from the HP identity, it makes sense to change publishers to remove as many of the previous associations as possible.
I am in dire need of some enlightenment. In what manner would the publisher be a bad association just because she enters a new field of writing? I jus can't imagine anyone deciding on a book depending on who published it. Maybe it's just me.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Just that there are certain publishers that are better known for publishing certain types of books (i.e. children's), and also most of the mainstream publishers tend to have quite a strong brand - it's usually easy to spot their books because their covers tend to have a particular theme. I didn't, BTW, say anything about such an association being bad. My point was merely that if someone who is associated strongly with a particular brand (not just in publishing) wants to break from that, it makes sense to make the new brand as different as possible.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
A few more helpful details in the thread title wouldn't have gone amiss.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote