Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
macdonald79
macdonald79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I need a simple app for converting Word .doc file to .mobi

I kept hearing about how Calibre can convert any doc into any ebook format. So naturally, my head almost exploded when I realized it couldn't convert a simple Word file to a .mobi. I tried converting the Word file into an HTML, but that didn't work either. And the only other option mentioned in the Calibre help file is to content my carefully formatted Word file to a TXT file, which is just ridiculous.

Can somebody help me out here? I don't understand why this is so fracking difficult.

(Online converters work like gangbusters, but I feel paranoid submitting my manuscript to some server run out of some 16-year-old's bedroom.)
macdonald79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
mtsp
Enthusiast
mtsp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
In this thread people discuss doc to mobi
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120710
mtsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Mobipocket Creator, Publisher edition can. It uses Word installed on your computer, though. So, if you don't have Word, it won't work.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Yep. Mobipocket Creator work just fine for DOC to MOBI...Free too, but indeed, Word must live on your machine.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:24 AM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool here's what i do

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdonald79 View Post
I kept hearing about how Calibre can convert any doc into any ebook format. So naturally, my head almost exploded when I realized it couldn't convert a simple Word file to a .mobi. I tried converting the Word file into an HTML, but that didn't work either. And the only other option mentioned in the Calibre help file is to content my carefully formatted Word file to a TXT file, which is just ridiculous.

Can somebody help me out here? I don't understand why this is so fracking difficult.

(Online converters work like gangbusters, but I feel paranoid submitting my manuscript to some server run out of some 16-year-old's bedroom.)
i use openoffice (it's open source software). it will load a doc file and save it as an odt file which, if you import it into calibre (it's open source software), calibre can convert it to a mobi. no cost and real slick software.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 02:05 AM   #6
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle 3
I dunno I found it really easy/convenient to just send docs through amazon via e-mail. Because they convert it to azw, which is essentially mobi, it's good.

And I really like their conversion. I haven't tried anything else, but it's good.

ALSO you don't have to plug in your kindle. Just connect to wifi.
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:31 AM   #7
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
You might try saving your Word file to html or RTF in word, then putting that through Calibre.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:22 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
What I'd is if you have MS Word is open the doc up and save it as "webpage, filter" which is a html file.

I do this all the time then I import the html into Calibre and covert to mobi.

Last edited by Blossom; 07-10-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #9
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Calibre is best because it has a very fast command line tool: ebook-convert xx.rtf .mobi

Unfortunately it cannot deal with .doc files and it is a big bummer for me.

Of course, I can save .doc file as .rtf or .html but it takes more time and effort. Also sometimes Calibre conversion silently fails with such files. If there are pictures in the doc file, the resulting .rtf file can be very big, hundreds of megabytes. I think that Calibre runs out of memory because of it.

E-mailing to Kindle is also not a good option. 1) Sometimes it has some delay, it can even be up to 5 minutes. And if the converted mobi has some faults I have to repeat it again. Ultimately it takes too much time to wait. 2) I need a WiFi which is not always available when traveling.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #10
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But ultimately I think that the problem will be solved from another end. E-readers should support doc format natively. I am looking forward to receive my Boox M90 soon and will let MR readers to know how well it works.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Huh? That seems complicated.

I convert doc and docx to prc just by dropping them in Mobipocket Reader. I've never had any problems. That's the quickest route I know. The conversions show up in C:\[user_path]\Documents\'My eBooks' on Vista. Second best is to email them to Amazon to XXXX@free.kindle.com. It works equally well for rtf, which is what I use for web scraping.

I do have Word on my machine, so it's possible MR is using that to convert to HTML 3.2 before writing a file. I've never tried it on a machine without Word. (My company gets us Office 2010 for cheap so we can work for them for free at home.)

One of my pet peeves about format conversions is that most routes take a lot of extra steps. I only use Calibre's CLI methods, if I use it at all.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:45 AM   #12
karunaji
Evangelist

Searching MR older threads I found that AbiWord has a command line tool for converting doc/docx to html. One can download and install this software for free.

I made a simple batch file to quickly send a single word document to my Kindle. I used a second parameter for title because many Word docs don't have the title set.

Code:
set kindleip=192.168.0.xx
set kindlepw=xxx
echo converting %1 to %~n1.mobi with title %2 and copying it to Kindle with %kindleip%
"C:\Program Files (x86)\AbiWord\bin\AbiWord.exe" --to=html %1
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\ebook-convert.exe" "%~n1.html" .mobi --title %2

c:\Windows\pscp -pw %kindlepw% "%~n1.mobi" root@%kindleip%:/mnt/us/documents/remote/
c:\Windows\plink -pw %kindlepw% root@%kindleip% "dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.powerd.resuming int32:1"
Old 07-14-2011, 06:00 AM   #13
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Drag and drop into Mobipocket Reader -- what could be simpler?
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Save the .doc as an .rtf in Word. Convert the rtf to mobi in Calibre.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:40 AM   #15
karunaji
Evangelist

Or simply run "send2kindle.bat xxx.docx" and it does everything at once and even copies the resulting mobi file to Kindle device through WiFi.