Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
PRS+ Font Help

I've kind of been pinging all over the Mobile Read forum because I'm not sure where this topic goes... but I've been having a lot of issues with getting the font perfect on my PRS-950. Here's the saga so far:

1. I've successfully loaded PRS+ on my reader. (Thank you, PRS+ team!)

2. I've figured out how to load fonts and create the custom CSS files.

3. I've used the Calibre modify-epub plugin to remove embedded fonts from my epub books.

Seems like the hard stuf is over and now I just need to find a font that I like. Problem is, all the fonts I like look weird on the Sony -- they look really thick and bold. I figured this was just an artifact of the reader, until I hit on the bright idea to load Charis -- the font that all my font-embedded epubs were using -- to the reader.

Sure enough, loading Charis onto the reader and using it gives me a really thick, bolded version of Charis -- very different from the way the font-embedded epubs used to look when they were using embedded Charis.

At this point, it would seem that the culprit is my user-defined CSS that I'm creating and using with PRS+. I do not speak CSS, so it wouldn't surprise me. All I know is that the CSS I'm using does work in the sense that it invokes the correct font, but it makes the font bold and thick and unpleasant. Can anyone -- PRS+ expert, font changing guru, CSS programmer -- tell me what I'm doing wrong, please?

Th CSS shell I have now is this:

Code:
@font-face {
font-family: "Charis";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Charis-Regular.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Charis-Bold.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Charis-Italic.ttf);
}

@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: italic;
src: url(res:///Data/fonts/Charis-BoldItalic.ttf);
}

body {
font-family: "Charis", serif;
}

.calibre {
}
The font-embedded epubs had quite a few more lines including some font-size: 1em stuff. I tried loading THAT to the CSS, but nothing seemed to change. I may have been doin' it rong.

Code snippet from embedded epub that I'm using for comparison purposes:

Code:
.calibre {
    background-color: #FFF;
    display: block;
    font-size: 1em;
    line-height: 1.2;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 5pt;
    margin-right: 5pt;
    margin-top: 0;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0;
    text-align: center
    }
Thank you in advance, and sorry for pinging all over the board.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hi,

some general infos, things to look at:
  1. to see changes to CSS file, you have to open another epub and eventually change back to the one you are looking at.
  2. please check the path & filenames they are casesensitive!
    Maybe there is a misstype in the regular one, and so the bold is used.
    Try to check a regular and bold text, side by side.
    Is bold "bolder" then your regular?
  3. have you checked the brightness and contrast settings under options?
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1. Yeah, I know about the "only works on a new epub" issue, thank you.

2. Seems like there aren't any typos. And I'm seeing the same behavior across all fonts.

3. The brightness and contrast settings shouldn't cause the difference I'm seeing between embedded-Charis and device-Charis -- there has to be something else going on or they'd still look the same, I think.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Have you compared it to a regular epub that doesn't have embedded fonts? You can download epubs from Gutenberg project or create your own epub from instapaper.com (bookmark an article and download it as an epub).

Can you attach a comparison photo?
Also, if you could, attach a problematic epub for us to look at.

Just off the top of my head it appears that fonts are being overlaid... that is, the epub is applying two css stylesheets, one from the PRS+, and one from the embedded font css. So try on a regular epub.

The Css file for prs+ looks fine.

Last edited by sonyreaderfan; 06-07-2011 at 12:57 PM.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

I can attach a screenshot tonight, if that will help.
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I can attach a screenshot tonight, if that will help.
It would also really help to attach the epub that's having the problem.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Well, I mean, now that I've stripped out embedded fonts, they all look the same -- equally bolded.

But I'll try to pull a PD epub tonight for my screenshots. Can anyone quickly point me to one that's already embedded with Charis? It's a commonly embedded font. Otherwise, I'll have to dig through the archives.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
sonyreaderfan
Groupie

Quote:
Well, I mean, now that I've stripped out embedded fonts, they all look the same -- equally bolded.

But I'll try to pull a PD epub tonight for my screenshots. Can anyone quickly point me to one that's already embedded with Charis? It's a commonly embedded font. Otherwise, I'll have to dig through the archives.
Get one that doesn't have embedded fonts.

I'll attach one, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn from Gutenberg Project. See if you're getting thick Charsil instead of regular Charsil.

It doesn't have embedded fonts so you can choose whatever fonts you want to use for it.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Pick out an ePub available on MR that shows the problem and I can have a look and see if I can figure out what seems to be the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyreaderfan View Post
Get one that doesn't have embedded fonts.

I'll attach one, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn from Gutenberg Project. See if you're getting thick Charsil instead of regular Charsil.

It doesn't have embedded fonts so you can choose whatever fonts you want to use for it.
Pick one from MR. Not all the PG meatground ePubs are mobile ADE compatible.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
sonyreaderfan
Groupie

Hmm, didn't attach, trying again. I'll use a smaller file.
Attached Files
File Type: epub How to Tell a Story and Other Essays.epub (45.4 KB, 190 views)
Old 06-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

One ePub to try is The Secret Adversary. I made it and posted it to MR and it has an embedded font and it's not bold.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53913

This way you can see what happens when you override the embedded font I put in.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
sonyreaderfan
Groupie

I think the problem is with somehow trying to override the embedded fonts. So first, try it with that mark Twain epub to see if it looks fine so epub without embedded fonts. Then try it on a epub with embedded fonts.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

If I read what you wrote correctly, you are having a problem with bolding on all text in ePubs with NO embedded fonts. Your CSS looked good, BTW. I'm not familiar with PRS+, so I'm wondering if there is a setting within it that turns everything Bold. I know there is a least on iOS or Android reader app that has such a setting. If so, that could be the problem. Another thing to check besides spelling of font names (which was already mentioned above) is that the font files themselves are actually all in the fonts folder.

If this problem is occuring across multiple ePubs, then the issue might not be related to the ePub CSS. However, you might check the CSS for one of the ePubs just to verify that there are no font-weight: bold; attributes in any key tags such as the body or p tags.

One other thing: I would get rid of this statement in the CSS:

Code:
.calibre {
}
You only need the font-family attribute in the body tag. When it is in the body tag it will be inherited by all other tags/classes.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-07-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #15
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Couple of thoughts...

Sony Reader Fan, thank you for the clean epub -- I'll post a screenshot of that, too.

JSWolf, thank you for the embedded file -- I'll load that up tonight, take a picture, strip the fonts out, take a NEW picture, and then post both pictures for comparison.

Jack, yes, you read correctly -- any book that does NOT have embedded fonts is bolding it up. I'll remove that .calibre tag -- I had copied this from another thread, so I'm glad to hear that's not necessary.

I'm very worried you may be right about PRS+ causing everything to be bold. I certainly don't know how to fix THAT.