Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #31
Muskrat
Enthusiast
Muskrat began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Where can I get the version of libprs500 which does the lit to lrs conversion? I seem to have a version which is just a library???
I have seen a book I want on Fictionwise, but although it is a multiformat book it does not have lrs as one of the formats. If I can easily convert from the lit version I won't have to wait for Fictionwise to get around to it!
Muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:56 PM   #32
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
Where can I get the version of libprs500 which does the lit to lrs conversion? I seem to have a version which is just a library???
I have seen a book I want on Fictionwise, but although it is a multiformat book it does not have lrs as one of the formats. If I can easily convert from the lit version I won't have to wait for Fictionwise to get around to it!
The latest version of libprs500 can be found here. As I write this that is version 0.3.106.

As the program has developed he has moved more functions into the GUI to supplement (or provide an alternative path) to the command line interface (CLI.) The version I'm using (I really should update) still has the LIT conversion as a CLI only. If the current one does not have it as part of the GUI, check out the CLI aspects of the program. Either way its a great piece of work.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:54 PM   #33
Muskrat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The latest version of libprs500 can be found here. As I write this that is version 0.3.106.
Agggh. I am having a terrible experience with this program. It won't install properly and when I tried removing it it deleted all my shortcuts to other ebook utilities. Also it keeps asking me to uninstall the drivers for sony connect software. When I do this it still doesn't install properly and connect will now not work at all.
Would anyone care to have a go at helping me with this?
Perhaps there is another utility which will convert lit to lrs?
Old 08-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The fellow who created the app generally hangs out here, and is quite good about helping folks, but he's on a trip at the moment, as I understand it.

You might try BookDesigner, or Lit2LRF (it's LRF that you want to convert to, BTW, LRS is an intermediate format in the process )
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:21 PM   #35
Muskrat
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The fellow who created the app generally hangs out here, and is quite good about helping folks, but he's on a trip at the moment, as I understand it.

You might try BookDesigner, or Lit2LRF (it's LRF that you want to convert to, BTW, LRS is an intermediate format in the process )
Thanks. I already have Book Designer. Will give it a try.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:41 AM   #36
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm happy to say that the guys at fictionwise just donated $250.00 to the development of libprs500
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:54 AM   #37
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm happy to say that the guys at fictionwise just donated $250.00 to the development of libprs500
Good, you deserve it. It is a great program.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:30 PM   #38
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
That's outstanding. Congratulations. I know it's not a fortune, but there's something more real about a "thank you" with cash attached.

Let's face it, you made it possible for them to easily open up, or at least expand, a whole market segment. And reading through the messages on this forum, the move appears to have won them some new customers.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #39
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah I'm happy to see it being used. It's my way of giving back to the open source community. Any cash is a very welcome bonus ;-)
Old 09-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #40
angelyne
Connoisseur
angelyne is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
It's a nice gesture and you deserve it tenfold. Html2lrf is superior to Book Designer, although the latter still has its uses.

I had to teach myself to work with HTML in order to get the results I wanted, but it was worth it. It gives a result that is professional looking and very close to the original format. As good or better than the books you can buy from the Connect Store. Of course your results will depend on your source material. If it looks bad in html, it will look bad as a lrf. That's where learning html comes in.

I still use BD for mostly text based source material as it has a few tools that makes quick work out of creating a book. The way you can quickly edit chapter headings and sub headings and create a TOC automatically is very useful.

So it's good to know both methods and choose the one that works best with your source material.

However, I do prefer html2lrf by far. Oh and thank you for making that change I requested Kovidgoyal. I asked for the ability to create drop cases using paragraph styles. It works BEAUTIFULLY.

My next step is to learn more advanced HTML so that I can use it to create html books from rtf or non formatted material. I suspect there are probably ways to automate the process using templates and style sheets and the like, but I haven't progressed that far yet.

Oh and Muskrat, you can uncheck the driver installation part when installing this software if all you want to use are the command line conversion tools

Last edited by angelyne; 09-06-2007 at 11:06 AM.
angelyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #41
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Thanks. For text files you can use txt2lrf after editing the txt file in your favorite editor. It allows you to define chapter headings and an automatic Table of Contents.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelyne View Post
It's a nice gesture and you deserve it tenfold. Html2lrf is superior to Book Designer, although the latter still has its uses.
The huge advantage that BD has is that it's "multi-target". When I bought my iLiad, I could very easily generate MobiPocket versions of all the books I'd previously created for the Sony Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #43
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you'd used html2lrf and kept the html sources you could then equally easily have generated x format from html. Since html is a universal standard you don't get tied to one program.

Tags
libprs500