Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
lazorbeam
Connoisseur
lazorbeam began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone; Fire HD
eReader Prestigio: Wrong Titles from Web

Anyone using the eReader Prestigio app for Android? There are a lot of things I like about it, but I've noticed it consistently displays the wrong title when downloading epubs from the web.

Prestigio accurately parses/displays personally epubs that are personally owned, loaded from Calibre Companion/Calibre Cloud, and downloaded to a watched folder.

When downloading an epub from an online site, specifically Archive of Our Own, the downloaded book shows up with a different title. Additionally, the percentage read amount is past 25% and the book opens to a random page in the middle of the story. Strangely the book title shown is always something that has been downloaded before but has since been deleted (both from device storage and from browser download history).

I know the new book has downloaded correctly because (along with working fine for the million other apps I've tried) when viewing book info, the path directory lists the correct book title.

This is happening with downloads from both Firefox and Dolphin. I've never encountered this before and the issue seems specific to Prestigio. Anyone else encountering this and have ideas on how to fix it? It's much more irritating and confusing than you might expect.
lazorbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2
I've been using this app for the past few days and have not had this problem, but I have had others. For instance, I can't create collections because of a permissions error. I've tried contacting the people behind the app, but haven't received an answer yet. I also tried their knowledge base/FAQ on their website, but it brings up a Forbidden access error when I try to look at anything other than the main page.

I really like this app and hope things can be fixed with it.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #3
lazorbeam
Connoisseur

That's a bummer. I never could figure out my title issue and, since I also successfully identified my page swipe problem in Moon+ and accepted its spacing problems, I've switched back to that recently. Prestigio's pretty nice, so they should definitely work on their support side. I didn't hear back from them either.

I just tried and I was able to create collections on mine. They leave 'My Books' and only appear within that collection though which was unexpected. Forgot how pretty the white brick background was. Good luck to you.

[Actually, I just had 2/2 successful titles appear. Perhaps I'll try this out again for a bit. Maybe that means your collection issue will magically fix itself?]
Old 07-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #4
lazorbeam
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeam View Post
[Actually, I just had 2/2 successful titles appear. Perhaps I'll try this out again for a bit. Maybe that means your collection issue will magically fix itself?]
Well, nevermind. Titles misbehaved again about six hours later. I think they worked at first because EP had no recent import/download memory or something. Bummer.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeam View Post
Well, nevermind. Titles misbehaved again about six hours later. I think they worked at first because EP had no recent import/download memory or something. Bummer.
I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues. I am as well. I haven't heard back from them either. The app looks great, but I'm unable to use it. I've switched to Aldiko. I like Moon+Reader, too, but it doesn't format things properly. You know how some books have multiple sections within the same chapter? Moon+Reader just makes those sections run together with no space between them to distinguish time/pacing (if that makes sense). I haven't figured out how to stop it from doing that.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:01 PM   #6
anesthezea
Groupie

I figured out how to make collections in the app on my own. I still haven't heard back from the app people. Just a FYI if anyone comes across this post - the app will automatically create collections from folder names in your ebooks folder. To put books into the collections, you have to save the ebook files to the folder of the collection you want it to be in. The app won't allow you to move the book between collections due to a permissions error (which I think has something to do with KitKat?).
Old 08-07-2016, 01:16 AM   #7
lazorbeam
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthezea View Post
I figured out how to make collections in the app on my own.
Happy you figured your issue out though I wish it were less tedious. Perhaps because I'm on Amazon Fire(?), but I have the opposite process. I can move books within the app and the app creates the new file folders. That's obviously better for the user.

Quote:
I like Moon+Reader, too, but it doesn't format things properly.
Totally agree on Moon+. It seems to be a well-known (and very frustrating) feature. I definitely encounter confusion between sections (if there is no line indicator) and also when it disregards blockquotes. Super irritating.

I appreciate that Prestigio doesn't do that, but I find I have issues with its general line spacing at times (probably bc my epubs are not always well/consistently formatted). Sometimes I'll have too big/small line spacing and it's weirdly hard to find which line spacing setting is controlling that chapter/section (reg p, epub p, normal settings) and it takes a million taps to figure it out. As always, miss Marvin for iOS.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:56 PM   #8
lazorbeam
Connoisseur

Lame. It is (or could be) a nice app, but developers don't seem to be attending to feedback.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:21 AM   #9
anesthezea
Groupie

I finally got collections to work (sort of), but I had to root my tablet. It's more of a folder structure, though. You can't put things in more than one collection. And each time you open the app, it refreshes every book file in each folder, so if you have a lot of books, it takes a bit for everything to show up in its proper place.

I miss Marvin the way it used to be - back when it could connect to Calibre directly. Those were the good old days. lol
Old 09-15-2016, 04:04 AM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I miss Marvin the way it used to be - back when it could connect to Calibre directly. Those were the good old days. lol
I think you should be alert for news about calibre companion in iOS
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #11
lazorbeam
Connoisseur

For some reason, I just don't get how to use CC effectively. On my Fire tablet, I use CalibreBox and I find it very intuitive. When I play with CC, I feel like I'm stuck in a lot of menus and folders and it seems kind of slow. It must be user error bc I know it's very popular.

I always loved the Dropbox feature on Marvin, but now that I'm used to CalibreBox, I sort of miss the functionality. I do prefer Marvin's Dropbox search to Android ereaders though bc I don't want to navigate through folders.

Tags
android, display error, prestigio