Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #46
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
clsdclsd confirmed that it works with Windows (see his post below).
Now I'm far from windows
oops, sorry I had missed that!
@clsdclsd, would you have instructions intelligible for a three year old ? I am that bad, though willing to learn!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:05 AM   #47
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
usbnet - dropbear ssh server + sftp-server

Hi!

I've compiled dropbear ssh server with blank passwords support and got sftp-server from debian.

Now activating usbnet leads to ssh daemon start also!

Kobo Launcher is updated. You can download partial update also:

http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/files/kobo/usbnet.zip

Now we can connect to our kobo using ssh:

ssh root@192.168.2.101

Also we can "mount" our Kobo using ssh:

mkdir kobo
sshfs -o sftp_server=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/usbnet/sftp-server root@192.168.2.101:/ `pwd`/kobo

!!!

use

fusermount -u kobo

to unmount.

Just disconnecting usb without unmount cat lead to "kobo" directory 'hung up' on desktop.

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 01-29-2013 at 06:10 AM.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #48
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Thanks Сергей, works great!

Here are the instructions for windows (Windows 7, but XP and 8 should be similar):

1. start the launcher
2. connect usb
3. tap usbnet
4. If nothing happens on Windows, you'll need the ntx driver instead of the freescale one. You can get it from the original firmware (KoboRoot.tar\drivers\ntx508\usb\gadget\), replace the arcotg_udc.ko and g_ether.ko files in .kobo\usbnet. Repeat steps 1-3.
5. Windows recognizes the new usb device but can not find the right driver for it.
6. Go to Device Manager (start -> search for programs and files, type "device manager") and find the device with yellow exclamation mark under "other devices".
Right click -> update driver software -> Browse computer for driver -> let me pick from a list -> network adapters -> Microsoft -> Remote NDIS Compatible Device ->install it regardless it's "not recommended".
7. Go to Network Connections (start -> search for programs and files, type "Network Connections") and right click on RNDIS/Ethernet gadget, choose Properties.
8. Choose Internet Protocol V4 -> properties -> use the following IP address: 192.168.2.100, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 .

To test the connection, start a command prompt (start -> search -> cmd.exe) and type "ping 192.168.2.101"

For remote login, I tested Putty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PuTTY), works like a charm.
For file transfers I tried WinSCP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinSCP), I had to set the protocol option: sftp server to /mnt/onboard/.kobo/usbnet/sftp-server, after that it worked.
I also tried to use psftp and swish (http://www.swish-sftp.org/), but I could't find options to set the sftp-server path, so I've created a symbolic link on Kobo usr/libexec/sftp-server to /mnt/onboard/.kobo/usbnet/sftp-server, after that these apps also work.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #49
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, clsdclsd for excellent manual! I added the link to it to the first post of this thread.

Now we have 2 open questions:

1. Starting KoboLauncher without kobo firmware plugin installed.
2. Manually run kobo bookshelf synchronization.

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 01-29-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #50
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

clsdclsd, many thanks for the instructions, they were so very clear.
I followed them carefully, and it actually works (in the sense that testing with the ping does).

However, now I wonder: what is the advantage of usbnet over wifi? Could you please explain it for the newbie with no Linux background?

Many thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #51
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
However, now I wonder: what is the advantage of usbnet over wifi? Could you please explain it for the newbie with no Linux background?
Many thanks!
paola,

1. Much faster
2. I have no WiFi at work (actually I have but our WiFi network is firewalled from our LAN)
3. battery is charging
Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #52
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Good news!

No need to restart Kobo any more.

Just modify the KoboLauncher.sh:

root=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboLauncher
export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$root/plugins
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$root/Qt/lib
export QWS_MOUSE_PROTO=KoboTS
export QWS_DISPLAY=Transformed:KoboFB:Rot90
export QT_QWS_FONTDIR=$root/Qt/lib/fonts
killall -STOP nickel
$root/KoboLauncher -qws
killall -CONT nickel
# press "Home" button to see the main screen
echo -e '\xaa\x03\x00\x00\xFD\x4E\x01\x00\x01\x00\x66\x00\ x01\x00\x00\x00\xAA\x03\x00\x00\xEA\xC2\x03\x00\x0 1\x00\x66\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00' > /dev/input/event0

The echo string '\xaa...\x00' should be without spaces!

And have fun!

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 01-30-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #53
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeyvl12 View Post
paola,

1. Much faster
2. I have no WiFi at work (actually I have but our WiFi network is firewalled from our LAN)
3. battery is charging
thanks sergey - but for instance I wouldn't be able to use a browser, right, as I cannot go back to the main menu of the kobo - or does your new modification mean that one can have usbnet running while going back to the main kobo screen?
Old 01-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #54
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
thanks sergey - but for instance I wouldn't be able to use a browser, right, as I cannot go back to the main menu of the kobo - or does your new modification mean that one can have usbnet running while going back to the main kobo screen?
exactly I tested - usbnet works. But I didn't run browser
Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #55
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
The usbnet remains up and running after leaving the the launcher (thanks Sergey, works great, as always :-)), but you can't have the browser using it, because when you start the browser, it triggers the wifi connection, and if it can't connect the browser wouldn't start. Using the Kobo's browser next to a computer is a bit pointless anyway :-)

Another problem is that the usbnet connects only the reader and the computer by default, you have to set the Kobo and the host computer to share the latter's internet connection, to be able to reach the Internet from the Kobo, for the Weather forecast app for example.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #56
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
The usbnet remains up and running after leaving the the launcher (thanks Sergey, works great, as always :-)), but you can't have the browser using it, because when you start the browser, it triggers the wifi connection, and if it can't connect the browser wouldn't start. Using the Kobo's browser next to a computer is a bit pointless anyway :-)

Another problem is that the usbnet connects only the reader and the computer by default, you have to set the Kobo and the host computer to share the latter's internet connection, to be able to reach the Internet from the Kobo, for the Weather forecast app for example.
Sergey, clsdclsd, many thanks - so I guess the usbnet makes more sense for techies: but I'm learning

EDIT: and it is great that one can now exit the launcher with no need for a reeboot - the notepad is going to become very handy for taking longer notes in a book, or making comments that span several books - thanks a million!

Last edited by paola; 01-30-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #57
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Sergey: I've just started working with usbnet, and while it works great from the kobo end, my linux system kept losing its IP assignment, leading to the SSH connection hanging until I reissue
Code:
sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.100
For users running a KDE desktop on Linux, you will likely have to go into network management and create a new "wired" interface for usb0 with a Manual IP address of 192.168.2.100 (otherwise, it keeps trying to find a DHCP server on the Kobo to get its IP address). Make it "connect automatically" and you should never need to run "ifconfig" manually on the linux end.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #58
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Sergey: I've just started working with usbnet, and while it works great from the kobo end, my linux system kept losing its IP assignment, leading to the SSH connection hanging until I reissue
Code:
sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.100
For users running a KDE desktop on Linux, you will likely have to go into network management and create a new "wired" interface for usb0 with a Manual IP address of 192.168.2.100 (otherwise, it keeps trying to find a DHCP server on the Kobo to get its IP address). Make it "connect automatically" and you should never need to run "ifconfig" manually on the linux end.
Thanks, auspex! It will be really useful for users that use the network manager or other smart network tools. I'll post a link to your post to to head.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #59
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sergey: do you know what it needs to completely disable the usbnet connection? Once I've enabled it, I can no longer connect as USB Mass Storage (for Kobo desktop or Calibre) without rebooting the Kobo. Simply doing
Code:
ifconfig usb0 down
on both the desktop and Kobo isn't sufficient. Do I need to remove the kernel modules on one or both sides?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #60
auspex
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
so I've created a symbolic link on Kobo usr/libexec/sftp-server to /mnt/onboard/.kobo/usbnet/sftp-server, after that these apps also work.
Ah. Always helps to read the other posts carefully