Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Reading PDFs on Kindle 3

So, here I am, with a lovely PDF scan of C.K. Shepherd's Across America by Motor-Cycle that I picked up for free at archive.org. I could have downloaded the "Kindle" version there, but I kind of like proper layout and formatting.

I sideload it onto my Kindle, and I think "man, that print is tiny." Mind you, this is coming from someone who routinely reads Kindle books on the smallest font setting.

So, I change from portrait to landscape orientation. Print size is much better, but I'm still not all that happy. I like seeing a page at a time. Now I'm thinking, why didn't I buy a Kindle DX?

Then I had my really obvious brainstorm. Reader glasses. You know, those inexpensive glasses you can buy in multiple styles and levels of magnification at any drugstore? I had a pair of 1.5x glasses around (okay, I confess, I'm much closer to 50 than I want to be, and I had them lying around the house already), put them on, and presto: easily readable full PDF pages on a Kindle 3.

Unsatisfied PDF readers, give it a try: take your Kindle over to SprawlMart, find the readers, then bring up a PDF and start trying on glasses.

Sure, there's a touch of Terry Gilliam's Brazil in the solution, but I can live with that.

JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
You must be joking, right?

Well i was in the same boat as you are and sold my kindle 3 to a friend and bought kindle DX instead. But i must confess even with Kindle DX i sometimes have to use the landscape mode as 9.7 inch is far away from actual A4 size.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
when I read the first pdf on kindle 3, I immediately thought "I must get a magnifying glass soon!"
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
You must be joking, right?
Only insofar as I take very little seriously.

I love my Kindle 3 with its lighted cover for 90% of the reading I do. I'm simply trying to find a low cost solution to my PDF problem, and this is the best I've come up with so far.

When my current K3 dies, I'll definitely be considering a Kindle DX (or maybe a Sony Daily Edition)...but for now, this is my preferred solution.

(Well, actually, my preferred solution is duct tape, but it didn't seem useful here.)
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post
Only insofar as I take very little seriously.

I love my Kindle 3 with its lighted cover for 90% of the reading I do. I'm simply trying to find a low cost solution to my PDF problem, and this is the best I've come up with so far.

When my current K3 dies, I'll definitely be considering a Kindle DX (or maybe a Sony Daily Edition)...but for now, this is my preferred solution.

(Well, actually, my preferred solution is duct tape, but it didn't seem useful here.)
I am glad that you are satisfied with your solution. I have myopia but i don't use my glasses while reading so now i am much more comfortable with my DX's larger reading area. A much comfortable choice for me instead of using magnifying glasses.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote