Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
jlinden
Connoisseur
jlinden began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle DX, Sony TS-1, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox M96
lighter background

Hi,

I enjoy my Kindle DXi very much. Sometimes, though, I think that the background looks a bit greyish. Yesterday I noticed something strange: when you push the 5 way down for search etc. a blinking bar cursor appears. When you disengage it (back) the afterimage of that cursor shows up as a light bar in the background. This means that the background level is not the lightest it could be !!? Could anyone confirm this? Any ideas?

Jan
jlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:12 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I don't know about the technical details but all e-ink device screens are grey - with the greyness level appearing lighter or darker depending under what lighting conditions you are reading.

If I read in the sunlight in our bay window, the background is a very pale grey and if I sit at the other end of the room which has no window, the background is much darker and harder to read from.

I'm not sure they can make e-ink backgrounds any lighter than they already are.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 04:15 AM   #3
jlinden
Connoisseur

Well, the little afterimage of the bar shows that the background can be lighter. The question is: why can't the whole background be as light as the little bar.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinden View Post
Well, the little afterimage of the bar shows that the background can be lighter. The question is: why can't the whole background be as light as the little bar.
Hi jlinden,

Just to confirm that you're not mad seeing things the others don't.

I noticed this and was asking myself the same question. I suppose it has to do with how e-ink refreshes leaving sort of "ghost" ink shadows. For example, after you get your little bar, try to refresh (ALT + G) a couple of times and it'll disappear.
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
jlinden
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoesecond View Post
Just to confirm that you're not mad seeing things the others don't.

Glad to know that !
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I found a lengthy discussion on e-ink backgrounds here for anyone who's interested:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41321
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:36 AM   #7
jlinden
Connoisseur

I'm not really worried

I'm not really worried, but the principle of the afterimage shows that the Kindle DXI's background could be whiter. The question is why doesn't Amazon (or its hardware provider) make it whiter?
In my opinion, the higher the contrast, the better !
Old 02-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Hmm, just checked, and yes, indeed its true.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlinden View Post
The question is why doesn't Amazon (or its hardware provider) make it whiter?
In my opinion, the higher the contrast, the better !
Not an authority on this, but what I gather is that the company that makes the eInk screen has the background about as light as it can be made. Considering the technology - causing bubbles of "ink" to change phase, its pretty amazing it works at all.

Yeah, I would like a pure-white background too, but its not as simple as going into Photoshop and adjusting the contrast slider bar.

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:32 AM   #10
jlinden
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallbaum View Post
has the background about as light as it can be made.
Yeah, but software can make it still lighter (the Bar !), so why don't they ?
Maybe it's a compromise with the short black flash before refresh. The longer duration of the black bar leaves the screen a couple of tones lighter.
If I could choose between the short blackflash and a lighter background I would choose the latter. Or maybe they could make it optional.
It's all speculation on my part of course That's so nice about this forum; one can speculate indefinitely.