Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #16
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
I'm wondering why anyone would pick the 300 over the 505. Since the announcement of the new Readers, I saw in our military exchange that the price of the 505 dropped to about $197. I'd jump on that if I didn't already have a Kindle. The screen is larger than the 300 and it supports SD cards. If it's now selling at the same price, why go for the 300 at all? Is Sony discontinuing the 505? Or maybe the exchange just got a deal on it. :-/
The 505 is an all-around great e-book device. I love mine (after 1.5 years). I also recently bough a 300--maybe not 'over' the 505, but in addition to--although I've been glued to the 300 for the past week!) Why? Mostly portability. The 300 has a great, clear screen (characters are sharper than the 505's under magnification!), and all I need is a device to read lots of books--no wireless, memory cards, mp3, dictionary, touchscreen. The 300 is great for this. Still shows pages of text and stores hundreds of novels with a great e-ink display and extended battery life. I throw my 300 in my front pants pocket with no problem--the 505 had far fewer options for a guy to carry around.

Last edited by DrMoze; 09-08-2009 at 06:03 PM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #17
hallali
Connoisseur
hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Es ist das PB 302, ich schiele aber schon auf das 360
Thanks a lot for the summary of the sony devices!
hallali is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #18
hallali
Connoisseur
hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Es ist das PB 302, ich schiele aber schon auf das 360
...ups did it twice, I am new to any kind of forum activity..
hallali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
rwe
Enthusiast
rwe began at the beginning.

Device: ipod sony
flickering screen on sony 300

i got my 300 today in the netherlands, first impression, perfect screen, no reflection or glare however the size is smaller then i imagined, portrait mode is same size as ipod touch landscape mode. the sony software on apple is sloppy and crashes sometimes, transfer books to reader goes well with copy/paste commands. the one thing that struck me strange is the page turn, when you do that, the screen flickers fast with reversed white characters against black background before the new page shows.
has anybody seen same??
rwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #20
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe View Post
i got my 300 today in the netherlands, first impression, perfect screen, no reflection or glare however the size is smaller then i imagined, portrait mode is same size as ipod touch landscape mode. the sony software on apple is sloppy and crashes sometimes, transfer books to reader goes well with copy/paste commands. the one thing that struck me strange is the page turn, when you do that, the screen flickers fast with reversed white characters against black background before the new page shows.
has anybody seen same??
Inevitable with e-ink, it is a kind of resetting the screen.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #21
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
I finally got a chance to loo at the 600 in two different shops in Toronto yesterday, neither one has any for sale and don't expect to, till the end of the month at the earliest. The other info I was give was while I still had the 505 for sale the other did not nor were they going to continue doing so. Although, the 505 are still for sale on the sony web site I don't know if this is going to continue for much longer, as a 500 owner I don't think I want to keep getting the unit no longer considered up to date, but the 505 looks to be the best model over all if you don't need too many bells and whistles.
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #22
kampang
kampang began at the beginning.

Device: none
mgmueller, thanks for your summary.

If you don't mind, I have couple of questions since you have several different devices.

(1) What do you think between Sony PRS-600 and iLiad / DR1000s in terms of "scribble" function? For example which one is more accurate and faster. I saw in some video of PRS-600, the scribble function quite laggy (slow). Which one do you prefer?

(2) From user manual, I saw that you can completely turn off PRS-600 (shutdown). Could you measure the cold boot time in seconds? cold boot = time from shutdown state to ready to use state.

Thank you.
kampang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:12 AM   #23
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe View Post
has anybody seen same??
Whoa.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #24
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kampang View Post
mgmueller, thanks for your summary.

If you don't mind, I have couple of questions since you have several different devices.

(1) What do you think between Sony PRS-600 and iLiad / DR1000s in terms of "scribble" function? For example which one is more accurate and faster. I saw in some video of PRS-600, the scribble function quite laggy (slow). Which one do you prefer?

(2) From user manual, I saw that you can completely turn off PRS-600 (shutdown). Could you measure the cold boot time in seconds? cold boot = time from shutdown state to ready to use state.

Thank you.
"Cold boot" is 27 seconds.
If you change your library, first time initialisation takes longer, depending on the books to check.

Sony 600 is slightly faster and a bit more accurate.
BUT: Sony 600 is touch sensitive, iRex 1000S is Wacom tablet.
Meaning: You can rest your hand on iRex' screen, which is the "natural" writing position, whereas this can irritate Sony 600.
Both readers I'd never use for intense note taking. Maybe circling an interesting text passage or something like that...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony 300, sony 505, sony 600, sony 700, sony ranking