Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader & Aluratek Libre Touch
Replacement Software for PRS-505?

Does anyone know of a replacement for the Sony Reader PRS-505 eLibrary software?

I've hated Sony's eLibrary software since I bought a PRS-505 in March of 2007.

For most of the time since 2007 I've used the Manager505 available at
File manager and collections creator for PRS-505:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31409

It is now no longer working on my Vista Business laptop, and I'm looking for a replacement. I tried Calibre and don't like the way it puts everything into one enormous file and can't import the over 2,000 books I already have sorted into logical categories / collections on my hard drive.

I've tried three times installing the newest version of eLibrary but it App crashes every time, so I'm back to shopping for a decent, workable replacement for the whole thing!

Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks.

Fred
fglaysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Fred have you searched the postings here. Many people have had issues due to Vista and require a Vista "exception" to be added for the Sony Library software to work.

Not sure where you are located but the Sony Library software is required to purchase books from the Sony story. Of course is you are not doing that, it doesn't matter.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Let me add that development of the Manager505 seems to have been abandoned, though it accomplishes most of what I need, without passing information to Sony's tracking system:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31409

Is it possible to Format the Sony Reader and put something else on it?

Fred
Old 12-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Fred have you searched the postings here. Many people have had issues due to Vista and require a Vista "exception" to be added for the Sony Library software to work.

Not sure where you are located but the Sony Library software is required to purchase books from the Sony story. Of course is you are not doing that, it doesn't matter.

Kenny,

Thanks for responding. Yes, I first search the mobileread forums but couldn't find anything that addressed the concerns I have. I'm really not interested in using Sony's new version of eLibrary--the DRM and tracking of what people are reading is even worse than it used to be. For similar reasons, I'm not interested in participating in Sony's attempt to corner the ebook market through its online store, which isn't any better than Amazon's attempt, and it doesn't sell much that's of interest to me...

After two and half years of using the PRS-505, I really think ereaders in general should allowed the individual the freedom to control what they're reading, without tracking back data, supposedly "anonymous," but used and mined in ways I don't believe are appropriate and open to scrutiny, nor would survive it, I dare say.

Wipe & replace! Anyone know of a possibility?

Fred
Old 12-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Calibre is all I use now. I tried it about a year ago and never looked back. I don't even have the Sony software on my PC.

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

Mobileread discussion here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Calibre is all I use now. I tried it about a year ago and never looked back. I don't even have the Sony software on my PC.

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

Mobileread discussion here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166
Yeah, but he already rejected that.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
fglaysher
Connoisseur

First:
Calibre puts all books into one huge file, which means, when you add just one or a few more books, it has to re-crunch the whole thing while you sit and wait...interrupting one's quickly moving on, reading and studying whatever it is you want.

Second:
Calibre does not support an easy import feature for the 2,000 books I already have on my hard drive and which are already sorted into folders like American Literature, English Literature, Japanese Literature, etc. Rather, I would have to import them one book at a time, tagging each one, i.e., probably providing Calibre with meta-data it sells or provides to someone, somewhere, but is completely irrelevant to me. I'm not interested in playing computer setup games, but in READING what I already have, and ADDING quickly and easily new articles and books to my Sony Reader PRS-505 so that I can return to reading and studying...not playing with software....

Anyone know of a wipe and replace possibility? Or even one that can be used in conjunction with Sony's eLibrary?

At the moment the Manage,505 only crashes, preventing me from adding new books, and the newest version of eLibrary crashes during installation and would then have all the flaws mentioned earlier.

Fred
Old 12-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
kennyc

Looks like you need to write your own Fred.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fglaysher View Post
First:
Calibre puts all books into one huge file, which means, when you add just one or a few more books, it has to re-crunch the whole thing while you sit and wait...interrupting one's quickly moving on, reading and studying whatever it is you want.
No, Calibre doesn't put all books into one file. Older versions of Calibre did that, but the current versions use a directory structure.

Quote:
Second:
Calibre does not support an easy import feature for the 2,000 books I already have on my hard drive and which are already sorted into folders like American Literature, English Literature, Japanese Literature, etc. Rather, I would have to import them one book at a time, tagging each one, i.e., probably providing Calibre with meta-data it sells or provides to someone, somewhere, but is completely irrelevant to me. I'm not interested in playing computer setup games, but in READING what I already have, and ADDING quickly and easily new articles and books to my Sony Reader PRS-505 so that I can return to reading and studying...not playing with software....
Why use a special software at all then? Just copy your books to the reader. I've to say that it seems as you bought the wrong ebook reading device. You need one that supports browsing custom directory structures. Though, maybe the latest firmware-hack for the PRS-505 with support for "books by folder" can help you...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
No, Calibre doesn't put all books into one file. Older versions of Calibre did that, but the current versions use a directory structure.

Why use a special software at all then? Just copy your books to the reader. I've to say that it seems as you bought the wrong ebook reading device. You need one that supports browsing custom directory structures. Though, maybe the latest firmware-hack for the PRS-505 with support for "books by folder" can help you...
latest firmware-hack for the PRS-505...

Thanks, Netseeker.

I appreciate your mentioning Books by Folder project. I'm going to check it out and try it. It sounds like what I've been wanting for the past few years!

Fred
Old 12-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
I'm going to check it out and try it. It sounds like what I've been wanting for the past few years!
Please let us know if it meets your requirements. Even if i'm a satisfied user of Calibre, i'm aware of some other users who would like to work with their own folder structure instead of a tagging-based software like Calibre.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
One other option is to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate and run that particular program in XP mode. I have software that didn't work with Vista that does work with Windows 7.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
One other option is to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate and run that particular program in XP mode. I have software that didn't work with Vista that does work with Windows 7.
Interesting and good to know.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #14
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Please let us know if it meets your requirements. Even if i'm a satisfied user of Calibre, i'm aware of some other users who would like to work with their own folder structure instead of a tagging-based software like Calibre.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64510

I have installed and am very excited about how it's working so far. PRSPLUS preserves how I already have my 2300 ebooks sorted into folders on my hard drive and now I can actually find them on the Sony Reader.

It potentially solves a lot of headaches for me....
Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
kennyc

Cool.

Glad it's working for you (and you didn't have to write your own. ).