Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-25-2014, 05:13 AM   #1
Alterstalin
Alterstalin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle PW2

Hello,

I am interested in buying this ebook reader (my first one) but, I have some questions. I surfed the internet for some hours to search for the perfect ebook reader for me (that is the one who only let's me read ebooks) and I didn't find it. One reader that was close was the trekstors pyrus mini because of his simplicity but the software needed some upgrade. So, I think the PW2 is the best for me, but after i change some things in it. The question is, can I?

I have heard about jailbreaking the kindle, installing custom screensavers, removing ads etc. but I want to change the OS, namely, I would want to eliminate some features like share on social networks, the kindle store (I don't buy ebooks) and the experimental browser. I would want a browser on a ebook reader only to search words and definitions and the kindle has an option for that. I have seen people who have installed Debian on their kindle so I hope my question isn't too ridiculous .

Have a nice day and thank you for your time!
Alterstalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:56 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid I completely fail to see the reason why you would need to remove these features. If you don't want to use them, then the answer is simple: don't use them. None of them is obligatory.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
Alterstalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid I completely fail to see the reason why you would need to remove these features. If you don't want to use them, then the answer is simple: don't use them. None of them is obligatory.
Well, yeah, that's the easy way. But, if it can be done...

Also, I forgot to ask, can I use my Kindle unregistered?
Old 07-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alterstalin View Post
Also, I forgot to ask, can I use my Kindle unregistered?
Yes, but some of its features will be unavailable to you - eg you won't be able to create or use collections. Easiest thing to do is to register and then, if you wish, leave WiFi turned off.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I would want to eliminate some features like share on social networks, the kindle store (I don't buy ebooks) and the experimental browser.
Switching the PW2 to airplane mode will take care of all of these issues. However, you won't be able to set up collections on an unregistered Kindle.

Quote:
So, I think the PW2 is the best for me, but after i change some things in it. The question is, can I?
Note that there's no jailbreak for the latest 5.4.5 firmware. If you're buying a new PW2 make sure to install the jailbreak before updating the firmware. If the PW2 already has firmware 5.4.5 installed you won't be able to jailbreak it.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
Alterstalin

So, in airplane mode those features will not be visible? (I ask in case a child wants to use the kindle - I know there is parental control)

And, am I able to downgrade the firmware?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So, in airplane mode those features will not be visible? (I ask in case a child wants to use the kindle - I know there is parental control)
They're still visible but won't work.

Quote:
AFAIK, the jailbreak developers haven't released a 5.4.5 downgrade tool yet and it's uncertain whether they'll be able to do so.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
It should be is possible to downgrade but no one has reported a successful downgrade yet.

Last edited by dsmid; 07-25-2014 at 09:22 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab Pro
Quote:

The FreeTime feature disables all the features you're talking about.
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
It should be is possible to downgrade but no one has reported a successful downgrade yet.
Unfortunately, your method does not work, at least not under Windows.
The downgrade fails with: UPDATE ERROR: 11

Has anybody actually tested this?

EDIT:
I used the wrong firmware. Downgrading to 5.4.3.2 does work.

Last edited by Doitsu; 07-25-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #11
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Today a friend of mine reported successful downgrade from 5.4.5 to 5.4.3.2 using this method.
Maybe you didn't wait long enough before rebooting?

Last edited by dsmid; 07-25-2014 at 12:54 PM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #12
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Today a friend of mine reported successful downgrade from 5.4.5 to 5.4.3.2 using this method.
Maybe you didn't wait long enough before rebooting?
Downgrading to 5.4.3.2 does indeed work. (Downgrading to 5.4.4 didn't.)
Old 07-25-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Doitsu: That's because 5.4.4 is a PW1 FW .

Good to know, though, I'll update the JB thread.

Thanks to dsmid for convincing me to try again, I was fairly sure that wouldn't work (and the last time we used this trick, it was over USBNet, where we had greater control of what to do) .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote