Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #31
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
So I now have,
a 'new' system.

Re-flashed with 708 - as per the instructions from Bookeen.
Re-formatted SD card with all my books re-loaded...

Let's see what happens - from now on...

Geoff
(had some problem for a while - connecting the Cybook to the PC locked my PC up!!!)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #32
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Just out of interest: Do you have the 64 MB- Cybook? And was the re-flashing done with the infamous 708fmt-tool?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #33
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the 16 mb-

Yes, it was the 708fmt, newly downloaded from their site this morning, as per their instructions...the size of it was the same as the one the first time around...

Geoff
Old 08-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #34
GeoffC

Quote:
So I now have,
a 'new' system.

Re-formatted SD card with all my books re-loaded...

Let's see what happens - from now on...

Geoff
(had some problem for a while - connecting the Cybook to the PC locked my PC up!!!)
Today, the first time I've re-charged since the re-flash, and immediately I 'freeze' on trying to set up the library display...

At least it re-started correctly following a reset...nor have I lost last-page memory...but it is still annoying...

Geoff..
Old 08-04-2008, 03:36 AM   #35
GeoffC

I have now been in the situation where a 'freeze' occurred on a page flip, and my Cybook then refused to re-boot passed one of the two boot screens. I reset and rebooted in total some 8 times and the only way I was successful in getting it to start properly was to remove the SD card.

Once the book was working, it then accepted the SD card and carried on as if nothing had happened...

Checking this morning, a chkdsk on both discs yielded no faults on either...

Edit:
I have been invited, by Bookeen to return my Cybook for evaluation....(what'my goin to read now....)

Last edited by GeoffC; 08-04-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:34 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have now been in the situation where a 'freeze' occurred on a page flip, and my Cybook then refused to re-boot passed one of the two boot screens. I reset and rebooted in total some 8 times and the only way I was successful in getting it to start properly was to remove the SD card.

Once the book was working, it then accepted the SD card and carried on as if nothing had happened...

Checking this morning, a chkdsk on both discs yielded no faults on either...

Edit:
I have been invited, by Bookeen to return my Cybook for evaluation....(what'my goin to read now....)
So what's happened so far? Did you send it back?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #37
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So what's happened so far? Did you send it back?
I did.

Dispatched Tuesday 5th.

Confirmed arrival Friday 8th.
Gist of message ; our technicians are about to look at your device, and will provide feedback shortly.....

Wednesday 13th.....email nudge sent, my definition of 'shortly' obviously differs with their's.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:35 AM   #38
GeoffC

Thursday 14th .. reply from Bookeen .....

Sir,

When we received your Cybook, the device was perfectly working. That is why our technicians will run more tests in order to understand what was going wrong.

We are doing to send back your Cybook as soon as possible.

Geoff.....
Old 08-14-2008, 06:07 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thursday 14th .. reply from Bookeen .....

Sir,

When we received your Cybook, the device was perfectly working. That is why our technicians will run more tests in order to understand what was going wrong.

We are doing to send back your Cybook as soon as possible.

Geoff.....
What are you going to do if they find nothing wrong and want to just send it back knowing you have had problems and most likely will gain if they just send it back?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:01 AM   #40
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What are you going to do if they find nothing wrong and want to just send it back knowing you have had problems and most likely will gain if they just send it back?
I have re-emphasised the issues I was having with the Cybook, also making mention of fm708 and the fact I use an SD card (which they did not want returning).

If, after further testing, they find nothing technically wrong, there is little I can do but respect the knowledge of their own product...

If upon return I continue to have problems....then we shall see....but even then I am not sure what options I have....If it was a UK product I could cite UK tradings standards and ask for at least a replacement....

Geoff
Old 08-14-2008, 07:07 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have re-emphasised the issues I was having with the Cybook, also making mention of fm708 and the fact I use an SD card (which they did not want returning).

If, after further testing, they find nothing technically wrong, there is little I can do but respect the knowledge of their own product...

If upon return I continue to have problems....then we shall see....but even then I am not sure what options I have....If it was a UK product I could cite UK tradings standards and ask for at least a replacement....

Geoff
I've just read the following thread and it may be possible that it's the use of the SD card slot that could possibly be causing the lockups.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27145
Old 08-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #42
GeoffC

Right - the saga continues....

After having their mitts on my Cybook for a week and a day, I have - this afternoon - received an email from FedEx advising me that they have a shipment leaving Paris today from Bookeen....

This is without any further feedback from Bookeen as to what fault, if any, they managed to discover with the unit....

Surely Bookeen should have advised of their test results before it left them!?

Geoff.....
Old 08-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd guess that they were unable to find any specific fault, and they're sending you a new machine. See if it has a new PID when you get it back!

Intermittent faults can be the very devil to try and diagnose.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #44
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd guess that they were unable to find any specific fault, and they're sending you a new machine. See if it has a new PID when you get it back!

Intermittent faults can be the very devil to try and diagnose.

That very thought has crossed my mind, but I still think it bad manners to not tell me themselves; leaving it for me to discover the return from the shipping agent....
Old 08-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I completely agree!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot, firmware, freeze, hang, update