Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
amra
amra began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
created file with mobipocket. Having problems.

Hi,
I converted a pdf file to kindle format with the mobipocket creator
and it shows okay, when I view it with the mobipocket reader.

But, when I view it in kindle, then it is
showing as 2 column.

Now, I dont know how that is happening
because even the pdf file was 1 column only
and even after conversion when I read it in
mobipocket reader, it shows as 1 column.

I only see 2 columns, when I view it in kindle

So, how do I correct this thing?
amra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Converting PDF to anything can be an utter nightmare. I frankly don't recommend trying to do it, unless you've got lots of time, tools, and experience with those tools. It can be easier to completely transcribe the things by hand at times.

I'd just crop the margins of the PDF as closely as you can, and read it as is on the Kindle.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It can be easier to completely transcribe the things by hand at times.
OCS is very often the best way to "convert" PDF into another format. OCS programs such as Abbey FineReader can read PDF natively, and generally produce excellent results from it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I use ABBYY all the time. Love it. But I still need to do a lot of manual massaging of the final output, though. Still scads of broken paragraphs to contend with and ludicrous amounts of font styling nonsense in it's HTML output.

And success with FineReader is still predicated on the type/quality of the PDF you start with.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
OCS is very often the best way to "convert" PDF into another format. OCS programs such as Abbey FineReader can read PDF natively, and generally produce excellent results from it.
What is OCS? I have always used OCR (Optical Character Recognition). Is this a British thing?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An excellent question. I can only attribute it to a "senior moment" ,
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:44 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Actually, not to give away our Highly Classified Top Secret Sauce, but usually, we find it easier to export to XML and roll from there; PDF's html output is the dog's breakfast, even using tools like Acrobat Pro X.

FWIW. Also, IME, Abbyy does a really excellent job, in the hands of a trained person, professional or amateur. I get Abbyy output from a number of firms, and the results vary widely; some are fabulous, some don't qualify as detritus. I have one now that makes me cringe when I look at it--I know it will come back, post-epub production, for hundreds of post-production copyedits, even though I have urged them repeatedly to edit it in Word BEFORE they send it. {shrug}. You can lead a horse to water...

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
I use OmniPage17 for OCR, have used it for years. I ask that my clients send me the PDF and then I run it through OP...of course you have to proof it word for word, but if they didn't send me the print copy too...I use the PDF, send it to my Kindle email and open it on Kindle for iPad (Docs) to use as the print version while I proof the doc within Word on my computer. Convoluted but necessary. Although I much prefer doing ALL the work myself from Scan to conversion. I don't like other people's files...you never know what's in there.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote