Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #31
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@gemjuno: Check the logs to make sure you didn't corrupt the config file, and make sure nothing's causing troubles on the host.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #32
ode
ode began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Have you tried rebooting the router?
I could ping but not connect as well. I rebooted the router and could ssh in after that.
ode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #33
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
@gemjuno I suggest you restart your kindle. I just upgraded from .28 to .30, rebooted, and I also couldn't connect over SSH via wifi even though I could ping it. I restarted the kindle again and it's fine now.

Not sure if this is related, but normally when you leave the usb cable in the kindle and restart, it'll be mounted after it starts up. But you if leave the cable in and restart from an update, it doesn't automatically mount. So something post-update makes the kindle behave differently.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #34
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@badbob001: Yeah, the whole update issue has been somewhat fixed in .29. But to avoid making volumd do stupid things, I'd recommend doing updates & boot *without* a cable plugged in though.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #35
gemjuno
gemjuno began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
guys i appreciate all your advices and took into account all of them. i rebooted both kindle and router but still no luck. putty and filezilla connections over usb still work fine as well as i can ping too.

@NiLuJe:I copied new config from src to kindle and edited before I restart.
gemjuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #36
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@gemjuno: And there might lie the issue. If you mangled the config file, it will use the default values. (ie. wifi off). Check the logs.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #37
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
@gemjuno It may not make a difference, but I've never tried configuring usbnet to work over usb so that is one clear difference of my config to yours.

You certain you don't have any firewall software on your local PC that may be blocking your access to port 22? Sure it works over USB networking, but since that is a different interface, it may not be under the same restrictions. Also, some wireless access points have an isolation setting that prevents wireless clients from interacting with other wireless devices.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #38
gemjuno

@badbob001 I do have firewall on my pc but I'm sure it accepts connection on port 22 as I tested MobaSSH with putty from other computers. Also my router supports isolation but I disabled long before I setup my kindle. My problem has been totally a mystery so far.

@NiLuJe I checked again, k3_wifi is set to true
Old 11-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #39
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@gemjuno: Check the *logs* (ie. ;dumpMessages), not the config file .
Old 11-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #40
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@gemjuno:

101113:150820 system: W usbnetwork:def:!! your usbnet config is broken, restoring K3_WIFI to default value
101113:150820 system: W usbnetwork:def:!! your usbnet config is broken, restoring K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY to default value

That. . (My best guess would be non UNIX line-endings, or case mismatch).
Old 11-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #41
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I'm having problems with getting ssh working wirelessly, as well. I have usbnetworking working, and I can ssh in from my Macbook using a cable, but I can't ping my Kindle using the wifi address. I've confirmed the Kindle's address (both with the 711 command and checking the MAC address in the router's device list), but all attempts to ping time out. I set the entry in the config file (K3_WIFI="true"), but I'm not sure how to confirm that it worked correctly (obviously, I'm guessing it didn't) There are no errors in the logs that look like NiLuJe's message to gemjuno in post #40.

Can someone give me a push in the right direction, please? What am I missing?
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #42
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@tlrowley: If you can't even ping it, them something's wrong on a lower level. Even without any hack, you should be able to ping your Kindle o/wifi. I'd blame the host or your network setup .
Old 11-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #43
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Yeah, see, that's where I'm confused. I can ping every other device in the list - other computers, Tivos, WD live TV - so I know that's not the problem. I know the Kindle is connected to wifi - I can use the browser to surf/download books - so I know that's not the problem. And that's where I sit. What on earth could be causing it?

ETA - FBKindle - that's what - when I stopped it (not just switched back to the Kindle framework) the ping started working.

That's where framing the question on a board like this really helps - thanks. On to the next steps.

And I'm in....

Last edited by tlrowley; 11-19-2010 at 06:05 PM.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #44
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
ETA - FBKindle - that's what - when I stopped it (not just switched back to the Kindle framework) the ping started working.
the only special thing that happens when fbKindle stops is that the [Qt keyboard]
driver stops grabbing /dev/input/event0 , /dev/input/event1 (and /dev/input/event3 -- on K3).
The source code is publicly available here
Please see under drivers/KindleKeyboard , if needed

HTH,

h1uke
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:50 AM   #45
gemjuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@gemjuno:

101113:150820 system: W usbnetwork:def:!! your usbnet config is broken, restoring K3_WIFI to default value
101113:150820 system: W usbnetwork:def:!! your usbnet config is broken, restoring K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY to default value

That. . (My best guess would be non UNIX line-endings, or case mismatch).
finally it's working. when I checked config file with notepad++ it showed CR+LF instead of LF. Then I did EOL conversion and voila
thank you so much