Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Amazon Taps Its Inner Apple (Fast Company Magazine article)

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...tml?page=0%2C0

Perhaps this article has been noted here before, but if so, I couldn't find the thread. It appears in the current issue of Fast Company Magazine, but was apparently written some time before Kindle DX was released, so there is a slightly dated feel to some of the facts.

I thought it made some interesting and provocative points about Apple vs Amazon, the rumored Tablet's role, and the state of the book publishing industry and its prospects and opportunities.

Curiously there's no mention of the fact that Apple already sells the only non-Amazon devices that can purchase and read books from Kindle store, and that other ebook reader apps exist for the platform, including Stanza (also Amazon's now). I guess I can believe Apple is getting ready to sell ebooks via iTunes (the more, the merrier) and to me the prospect of a device that can access multiple storefronts is very attractive, regardless of whether one of them is Apple's. Some people assume Apple would want to kick the Kindle app off, but letting it continue to exist would actually help them coerce Kindle customers into buying Apple devices and starting to purchase from iTunes instead - they wouldn't have to leave their Amazon library behind. It would have been interesting to see some discussion of this in the article.

Anyway, it is worth a read.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-13-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: grammer
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, apple, kindle