Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #16
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Stupid people have always made more money than clever people

"I like money."
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
There's a Mac user born every minute?
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Is Orbits now selling ebooks? Readers?

Why is this in the ebook discussion thread?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I'm a little torn on this matter.

This specific Orbitz thing doesn't bother me because the price doesn't change, and I tend to sort by price anyway. The option to do that is still intact, and they don't omit any hotels from the list.

On the other hand, I could see this being employed in a way that's less difficult to work around, and I don't like that. : /
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
considering how much more mac users pay for their electronics, 30 percent is nothing.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #21
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
In the IT world the word proprietary is a curse word and I will have nothing to do with apple until they give up the propretary aspect of their hardware and software. Other than that I have absolutely nothing against them at all.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
Stupid people have always finished up with less money than clever people.

FTFY
I'm pretty sure that HappyMartin's post was meant to be ironic.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #23
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Perhaps Apple has started to demand a 30% cut of all sales made from Macs?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #24
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
For sure.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #25
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
So was mine.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #26
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirael View Post
I'm a little torn on this matter.

This specific Orbitz thing doesn't bother me because the price doesn't change, and I tend to sort by price anyway. The option to do that is still intact, and they don't omit any hotels from the list.

On the other hand, I could see this being employed in a way that's less difficult to work around, and I don't like that. : /
Amazon have already been caught out charging different prices to people from different post/zip codes for identical goods. I'm sure they're not the only ones. If you're going to use a proxy, or a dummy address, make sure it's not situated in Beverly Hills!
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #27
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
You can bet that any site you wish to purchase from is using different prices, if they ask you for your zip code first.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #28
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Sounds like an economic opportunity to me...a software 'bot to maske you look like you're from a poor area...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #29
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Sounds like an economic opportunity to me...a software 'bot to maske you look like you're from a poor area...
Going to be tricky getting anything delivered though
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #30
sebastianmichael
The Optimist
sebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to beholdsebastianmichael is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle; iPhone
I think there are some serious cause and effect confusions evident in this thread.

The reason Mac users tend to spend more money on hotel rooms (or on anything else, for that matter) has nothing to do, of course, with how intelligent or not they are, and everything to do with how much disposable income they have.

The interesting question then is: do they have more disposable income to start with, and are therefore able to buy their more expensive Macs, or do they recognise that the Mac is a better computer, invest a higher proportion of their disposable income in their technology and as a result end up with a tool that allows them to do better work and therefore be more successful, leading to them having more disposable income, which they can then spend on hotel rooms, or on anything else that they value.

Or does the fact that they value design in a computer (for which Macs are justly as celebrated as for their superior operating system) go hand in hand with valuing design in a hotel room (which tends to express itself in price).

Or is it simply the case that on average Mac users tend to be working in fields and industries and in capacities that are higher paid with greater expenses allowances, thus enabling them to care less about the price of their hotels.

Or are they on average younger, with fewer external commitments (family, mortgage, car), and therefore both willing and able to spend more on their technology and hotel rooms...

In any case, the practice of steering Mac users towards more expensive hotel room offerings is probably borderline dubious, even though it is not, as has been pointed out, that far removed from ordinary profiling. And of course it may yet backfire: just because the average Mac user spends more money on something does not mean that they are necessarily willing or even able to do so (I'm a Mac user, but sadly this has not expressed itself in any notable amounts of disposable income just yet; but then I'm also a writer, so perhaps it never will...). If you find that a website offers you more expensive content, services or products than a competitor website you will, if you have any brains at all, work out all by yourself which website to use for your content, services and products.

The dim, in the long term, tend to turn out to be the pullers of a fast one, rather than the pullees...
sebastianmichael is offline   Reply With Quote