Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
PHughes
PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300 PRS-350 Kobo H2O Kobo Clara HD
Sony Reader for Mac software

Okay, I have been using the Reader Library software and actually like it. I only use it to transfer books downloaded from the library and it works well for that.

I installed a new hard drive the other day, reinstalled OSX Leopard, and then restored the apps from a backup. The Reader Library would not work correctly so I decided to reinstall it. Since I may "upgrade" to Lion one of these days I decided to see if Sony had software that was truly compatible with Lion and downloaded Son Reader for Mac which they say is compatible.

Has anyone actually used Sony Reader? I absolutely hated it. It was so annoying. Gone was the ease of dragging and dropping the books into the reader. You had to choose the files and do a sync similar to the horrific iTunes. The program seems to be a huge step backwards and is very slow in comparison to the older Sony Reader Library. Needless to say I uninstalled it and reinstalled the Sony Reader Library. It works seamlessly with downloads from the library and I have no complaints with it, the new Sony Reader for Mac however is horrible.

Has anyone used it with any better results?
PHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hi, PHughes. You have done a good job of summarizing the issues with the new Reader program. I have both the old and new programs installed on my Mac. I much prefer the old version. Unfortunately only the new version works with the T1. I am thinking of switching my library management to calibre.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
PHughes
PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am looking that way too if it comes to that. The older Reader Library software just works so well with the library downloads though. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
shall1028
Nameless Being

Let's see: books being removed from the my T1 for no reason, books being doubled on my T1 for no reason, highlights being duplicated every sync (3 syncs and you now have 8 copies of the highlights)... hmmm.... no problems at all really.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use Calibre. I've started using it with the T1 and it works very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
I used to like the Reader Library Software. I did not know there was new software. What bothers me about the Library Software is that it has quit stopped recognizing my 600. It is not a 600 problem because it mounts as a disk and I can drag books directly onto it with no problems. Anyone else with this problem? it started after I upgraded to Lion.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgillette.rm View Post
I used to like the Reader Library Software. I did not know there was new software. What bothers me about the Library Software is that it has quit stopped recognizing my 600. It is not a 600 problem because it mounts as a disk and I can drag books directly onto it with no problems. Anyone else with this problem? it started after I upgraded to Lion.
My guess is that when you upgraded to Lion your Mac now defaults to booting in 64-bit mode. You need to boot in 32-bit mode (hold down the 6 and 4 keys during startup) in order to get Reader Library to recognize your 600. See this thread link for specifics. It sounds similar to your issue.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63043
Old 01-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
PHughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Use Calibre. I've started using it with the T1 and it works very well.
Sorry, Calibre doesn't work as well for downloading from a library via Overdrive as Sony Reader Library. I have no issues with Reader Library, just the new "improved" Sony Reader.

I am back to running Sony Reader Library and it works just fine. I just wish Sony would put out a version that is compatible with Lion. I never saw the issues everyone had with Reader Library. I can double click the Overdrive file downloaded from the library and the Reader Library opens and downloads the book quickly. I can the plug in the reader and in less than a minute transfer the three or four books I just downloaded, eject the reader and close the program.

Calibre has always been a rather clunky affair with respect to library books when I tried it.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHughes View Post
Sorry, Calibre doesn't work as well for downloading from a library via Overdrive as Sony Reader Library. I have no issues with Reader Library, just the new "improved" Sony Reader.

I am back to running Sony Reader Library and it works just fine. I just wish Sony would put out a version that is compatible with Lion. I never saw the issues everyone had with Reader Library. I can double click the Overdrive file downloaded from the library and the Reader Library opens and downloads the book quickly. I can the plug in the reader and in less than a minute transfer the three or four books I just downloaded, eject the reader and close the program.

Calibre has always been a rather clunky affair with respect to library books when I tried it.
I sympathize. I also was one who always used Reader Library, and it worked beautifully to keep all of my books & notes synced in organized collections across my multiple Sony ereaders. The new software is not as nice but required if you have a T1. If you don't have a T1 and still just have your 300/350 models, then you are better off to continue to use the old software. You will be much happier. The new software is not necessarily "new and improved" like you would expect.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I've kept the old software & use it for my 350. The new software is sooooo in need of a revamp...A thorough revamp. Like start all over again.

I've taken to side loading a lot of books to my T1 via either my computer or calibre.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

You do sometimes have to blame Apple for making new OS versions not all that compatible with old OS version.

But I would think you could use ADE to download your library eBooks and then use Calibre to load them onto the T1. That sounds a lot easier then rebooting into 32-bit mode.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
PHughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You do sometimes have to blame Apple for making new OS versions not all that compatible with old OS version.

But I would think you could use ADE to download your library eBooks and then use Calibre to load them onto the T1. That sounds a lot easier then rebooting into 32-bit mode.
Or, simply not choose to upgrade to Lion as I have chosen. I think the blame is rightly placed on Sony for taking what was a fairly decent program, and morphing it into an useable cacophony of horrific code. What they did was completely redesign a program in such a manner to render it unusable. They took away the relative ease of use and created a program they say offers greater ease of use but in reality it is only easier to use if you choose not to use it.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
If I buy books from Sony I simply use the Reader software to buy and download the books, then close the application, connect my reader, and copy the book(s) straight to the reader's memory. This avoids any unfortunate synching issues.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Or, simply not choose to upgrade to Lion as I have chosen. I think the blame is rightly placed on Sony for taking what was a fairly decent program, and morphing it into an useable cacophony of horrific code. What they did was completely redesign a program in such a manner to render it unusable. They took away the relative ease of use and created a program they say offers greater ease of use but in reality it is only easier to use if you choose not to use it.
Yes, Sony is to blame for screwing with Reader Library such that Reader for PC/MAC is not all that good. But the good thing however is that it got me into using Calibre to manage content on the T1.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #15
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I think SONY made a great marketing move. We complained for years about how bad and clunky Reader Library was. Then they gave us Reader for PC. And now, in comparison, Reader Library is just awesome and we can't stop praising it!!!

Truly, the new software is horrendous.

By the way - I don't see anyone mentioning this - but does using it drain batteries on the device faster? When I tried using it, every time I closed a book, my 950 would stay connected via wi-fi/3G to sync pages read and annotations. Which sounds great, but it seemed to really eat into battery life. I haven't tested it - but I noticed that ever since I uninstalled it, stopped syncing and switched back to Reader Library, my 950 does not seem to connect every time I close a book and battery life lasts much longer.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote