Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
Library and Books Won't Open!

I've had my Vox for about a month now and it's worked flawlessly - until now! It starts up just fine, I can access the internet, videos, audiobooks etc but NOT the Kobo Library or any books. I get the message:

"The application Kobo (process com.kobobooks.pegasus.android) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"

or this one:

"Kobo can't start right now because of a problem connecting to the Kobo server. Please try again in a little while"

I've restarted (several times) but to no avail. Why would I need to access the server just to read a book?

Any ideas anyone?
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbrich View Post
I've had my Vox for about a month now and it's worked flawlessly - until now! It starts up just fine, I can access the internet, videos, audiobooks etc but NOT the Kobo Library or any books. I get the message:

"The application Kobo (process com.kobobooks.pegasus.android) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again"

or this one:

"Kobo can't start right now because of a problem connecting to the Kobo server. Please try again in a little while"

I've restarted (several times) but to no avail. Why would I need to access the server just to read a book?

Any ideas anyone?
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I had the exact same issue after 3 weeks of flawless use...and the only thing that solved it was a factory reset (see my post from 5 days ago).

Can you think of anything that may have caused it?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:

or this one:

Any ideas anyone?
Have you tried re-logging into your Kobo account? I'm not 100% sure how it is done because I have never done it before, but when looking through settings, I would try "Kobo eReader settings" and then ""Set up Kobo Reader (Re-run the first time set up application)". Maybe someone could clarify this? I would try it before a factory reset though.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #4
profbisson
profbisson began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I've had the same problem too except that I cannot access my library anymore. I did a factory reset figuring it might be one of the outside apps that I downloaded that might be crashing it. Reloaded my library and it is working fine.
profbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I had the exact same issue after 3 weeks of flawless use...and the only thing that solved it was a factory reset (see my post from 5 days ago).

Can you think of anything that may have caused it?
No, I can't think of anything unusual that I might have done to create my problem. And I tried re-logging in, etc without luck. Now my options are to forget about using the Kobo library and use Aldiko or to do the factory reset.

As I understand it, factory reset will erase everything I've done but leave the Vox in the condition it was in when I opened the box. Is that correct? So, essentially, I'd need to reload all the apps (not a big deal, using Dropbox), re-bookmark my websites, reload my audiobooks, etc. Any other drawbacks to factory reset?

If Kobo staff are listening, any chance a software update sometime in the near future will correct the problem?
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Quote:
No, I can't think of anything unusual that I might have done to create my problem. And I tried re-logging in, etc without luck. Now my options are to forget about using the Kobo library and use Aldiko or to do the factory reset.

As I understand it, factory reset will erase everything I've done but leave the Vox in the condition it was in when I opened the box. Is that correct? So, essentially, I'd need to reload all the apps (not a big deal, using Dropbox), re-bookmark my websites, reload my audiobooks, etc. Any other drawbacks to factory reset?

If Kobo staff are listening, any chance a software update sometime in the near future will correct the problem?
This issue was passed to the development team, so that is a possibility. The only problem is, what causes it is completely unknown...

I did try clearing all data in the kobo app (and redo setup) but that seemed to make the problem worse.

I can't see any drawbacks to the factory reset, other than it being a hassle...
Old 11-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
wilbrich
Connoisseur

OK, so I did the factory reset. Not too big a deal but it took and hour or two to add back all my apps and bookmark my websites. Not the end of the world. But I'll be pi**ed if it happens again.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
OK, so I did the factory reset. Not too big a deal but it took and hour or two to add back all my apps and bookmark my websites. Not the end of the world. But I'll be pi**ed if it happens again.
Dude...prepare yourself for it to happen again. I think I did 3 factory resets on my Kobo WiFi in one year - and that was fairly straightforward use - nothin' fancy.

I think one of my first posts in this forum (after I bought my Vox) was: How do I prepare for the dreaded factory reset? And I think I was one of the first to be forced to do it! HAHAHAHA! How's that for a self-fulfilling prophecy?!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
Szara
Book Junkie
Szara began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch
Well dangit, I was having this issue and at first, clearing the Kobo application data fixed the problem. Two days later it's happening again. Time for a factory reset! If I wasn't such a techie person I would be frustrated and return the dang thing, but fiddling and finding bugs is just too much fun!
Szara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #10
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Did you check your clock? Mine was mysteriously off this morning which confuses the heck out of the library.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
Did you check your clock? Mine was mysteriously off this morning which confuses the heck out of the library.
It shouldn't matter if your 'clock' is 'off'. If the time/date is set properly from set-up, this is what affects the library - no?
Old 11-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Nope, pokee. The clock can hiccup and you may need to reset it. The current time shown on the clock is the time the device thinks it is.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
pokee
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Nope, pokee. The clock can hiccup and you may need to reset it. The current time shown on the clock is the time the device thinks it is.
Interesting...too bad I didn't know this when I got this error last week! Maybe that was the problem all along!