Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
The Toshiba Thrive meets all of the above. I seriously considered this tablet and if it drops a litltle more in price who knows.

I really didn't have much of a beef with Apple either until I read this:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/a...75?tag=nl.e550
I guess I'm jaded, but I'm used to this. It's been going on a long time, and not just in computers. Coke Vs Pepsi have been at it for decades, and not just for colas anymore. Only an overhaul of the IP system will stop the "My lawyer can beat up your lawyer" syndrome.

I prefer Canada Dry (and QNX) anyway.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #17
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I agree it's missing a lot but just think how much you might possibly be able to get for it on eBay comes the time everyone wants one. Case in point: HP Touchpad.
I'm really lousy sales guy: I always buy expensive and sell cheap.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #18
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
I guess I'm jaded, but I'm used to this. It's been going on a long time, and not just in computers. Coke Vs Pepsi have been at it for decades, and not just for colas anymore. Only an overhaul of the IP system will stop the "My lawyer can beat up your lawyer" syndrome.

I prefer Canada Dry (and QNX) anyway.

That's why I drink RC. The difference here is that Coke isn't trying to stop Pepsi from selling their product or vice versa. Apple stopped the sales of the Samsung Galaxy based on a patent drawing that looks like it was sketched by a 10 year old.

Last edited by obsessed2; 09-30-2011 at 06:52 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #19
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamina1 View Post
Keep in mind, it's a KINDLE, not an Android Tablet. They've taken the Android OS and put layers and layers of Amazon on top of it. They've stripped out the market and put in their own app store. I know it will get hacked, but the hardware lacking can't be put back in.
Like entourage...
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #20
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Like entourage...
No,
GPS+Bluetooth works
SD card slot works.
Mic works.
Camera is terrible, no autofocus, but I can recognize myself - sometimes.
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #21
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
you folks get them and work out the bugs then I'll buy
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:19 AM   #22
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
No,
GPS+Bluetooth works
SD card slot works.
Mic works.
Camera is terrible, no autofocus, but I can recognize myself - sometimes.
Yeah, I meant how entourage put layers on android, no market and appstore. Otherwise I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamina1
They've taken the Android OS and put layers and layers of Amazon on top of it. They've stripped out the market and put in their own app store.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #23
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Yeah, I meant how entourage put layers on android, no market and appstore. Otherwise I agree with you.
"put layers" is how progress works: you always build something new by putting layers on some existing stuff. "Microsoft Office" is a layer atop of Windows. Nobody needs OS per se, only as a tool to be able to run some applications.
And Android Market is an app atop of Android OS and Android Market is not a component of the OS.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #24
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
The funny thing is that plain old Android tablets just aren't selling like crazy. They're all basically the same, with nothing to grab the buyer's attention. It struck me the other day that in the mass population the consumer can't decide which Android tablet is the best one to get - it's just too confusing. And hence the easy out of buying an iPad which everyone sees as a "good buy" with a high confidence that the product will be well supported (by Apple and the third party apps and accessories).

I wouldn't be surprised if the Fire sells very well because of all the layers and the Amazon/Kindle brand. Yes, it'll be an Android tablet, but Amazon may have found a secret recipe for successfully distinguishing the Fire from the Android competition.

I looked into the RIM Playbook in the last couple of days, given the hardware similarity and the presence of all the hardware missing on the Fire. However, the RIM forums are rife with user complaints about the poor support in software. RIM simply doesn't support their tablet so no wonder it's not selling. It's half-assed (not to mention hugely expensive).
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #25
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
I considered getting a Playbook the day recently it was on sale for $299 (I think on 1saleaday?) but held back. The hardware and OS seem good, but the apps and support are worrisome. In any case, it looks like the prices are going to trend downward.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #26
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Now there is speculation that Amazon might be buying WebOS.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Ama...ire,13574.html
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #27
chessico
chessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the rough

Device: Lenovo IdeaPad A1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
I'm watching for the Toshiba thrive 7", or the Lenovo 7".
By now, you've probably seen the Lenovo IdeaPad A1 (7") with offline GPS.

Click here for specs of the Lenovo IdeaPad A1.

I pre-ordered one, but they are no doubt sold out as they are not available
for order on the lenovo website.

Also, there is the Samsung Galaxy 7.0 with the promise of a soon to come
Samsung Galaxy 7.7!?!
chessico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #28
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
I really like the nook color and the Nook Str. Just sold Adam Notion ink and got one nook color and one STR (and some good change left). very hackable while keeping the original rom if you want, community support. got them from factory rework Barnes and noble shop on ebay. also both take 16 gb sd card which kindle does not
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #29
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Now the Kobo Vox is out (shipping Oct 28), I'm looking at those for the kids. Unforked android 2.3, MSD card up to 32Gb and a supposedly killer screen (waiting to lay my eyes on it). AND available in Canada, unlike the Fire.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #30
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamina1 View Post
Keep in mind, it's a KINDLE, not an Android Tablet. They've taken the Android OS and put layers and layers of Amazon on top of it. They've stripped out the market and put in their own app store. I know it will get hacked, but the hardware lacking can't be put back in.
Also it's really annoying dealing with hacked firmware every time there's a real update by the maker. I prefer hardware that is open by nature - much easier to work with. I think the Kindle Fire will have a huge market, but I personally would choose a device with access to the marketplace and the same specs.

Have you guys seen the Kobo Vox? Same price as the Kindle Fire, but more open.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote