Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM   #29191
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage,Kindle PW, Fire HD 8.9, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
You know, I'm sorry, but...what the hell?

There are folks out there called MOVERS. They are paid for this crap. Sure, everybody has budgetary limits, I get that. But if you can't (or she can't) afford professional movers, put up a thing at the local college, or wherever, for burly guys (and gals, if they have the muscles) to move the damn stuff.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous for ANY part of your family to think that sounds like a good idea. I don't care if you're Dwight whatsits, the Rock guy. Those of us who work ungodly hours deserve what few days off we get. If my family came up with something cracked like that, I'd book myself in to the nearest 5-star hotel, buy some nice movies, and get room service.

Daft bastards. Don't get sucked in!!! There's nothing self-centered about it. It's more like...self-preservation. You simply need to find your own damn lifeboat.

Hitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
What Hitch said, Rumple.
In spades. This is simply ABUSE. I couldn't agree more with Hitch on this.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM   #29192
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glo, H2O, Glo HD
While I'm in full agreement with everyone on the Christmas Day move, I also know that families are touchy situations and you have to pick your battles.

This would be my position: It's your sister's apartment AND she's younger than you. She gets staircase duty. Depending on your father's level of fitness, he should probably be at the receiving end. Your sister can tell him what room as she gets upstairs with each load; she can sort it out later at her OWN leisure. You're stuck with car to lobby, but at least it's not the stairs.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM   #29193
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My mother put her foot down (for now), mostly since my father hasn't had a day off since she bought the apartment. Each Sunday and Monday (the days the store is closed) and several nights a week he goes over there (mostly with her, but on Monday on his own) to do the electrics, paint, sand, etc.

As I said, I don't expect much downtime from next Tuesday until the 8th of January, when the school vacation ends. Normally I would have 3 days off during that period. So I've decided that the Christmas Eve, the 25th and 26th are days off. I told her this and she didn't look too happy. But she worked in retail and should remember how insane those 4 weeks surrounding Christmas are. Plus, she doesn't get how draining this time of the year is for a super introvert like me.

To be honest, I will be glad when she's moved. No more going downstairs in winter to find the store freezing cold because she has turned off the heating (she can hear the heater hum at night), no more waking up at 1am on Sunday morning because she's vacuuming her room (she's a night owl) or having to wait until 8pm for dinner because she forgot to text my mother to let her know what time she would be home.

On the plus side, all that extra work means a bit of extra money. So I've decided it's okay to spend more on a laptop, so I can get one I can play The Sims 4 on.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM   #29194
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
My mother put her foot down (for now), mostly since my father hasn't had a day off since she bought the apartment. Each Sunday and Monday (the days the store is closed) and several nights a week he goes over there (mostly with her, but on Monday on his own) to do the electrics, paint, sand, etc.

As I said, I don't expect much downtime from next Tuesday until the 8th of January, when the school vacation ends. Normally I would have 3 days off during that period. So I've decided that the Christmas Eve, the 25th and 26th are days off. I told her this and she didn't look too happy. But she worked in retail and should remember how insane those 4 weeks surrounding Christmas are. Plus, she doesn't get how draining this time of the year is for a super introvert like me.

To be honest, I will be glad when she's moved. No more going downstairs in winter to find the store freezing cold because she has turned off the heating (she can hear the heater hum at night), no more waking up at 1am on Sunday morning because she's vacuuming her room (she's a night owl) or having to wait until 8pm for dinner because she forgot to text my mother to let her know what time she would be home.

On the plus side, all that extra work means a bit of extra money. So I've decided it's okay to spend more on a laptop, so I can get one I can play The Sims 4 on.
I was just fixing to ask before jumping to conclusions. Is your sister handicapped in some way? I ask because you commented about her taking vacations with you and now it seems she is not capable of moving some boxes. Or is it the old case of she is parent's favorite child?
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM   #29195
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I was just fixing to ask before jumping to conclusions. Is your sister handicapped in some way? I ask because you commented about her taking vacations with you and now it seems she is not capable of moving some boxes. Or is it the old case of she is parent's favorite child?
Cin's right. I should have asked.

HOWEVER, that being said, I've lived a lifetime with a much-younger brother, who was "Mummy's favorite" type of thing. It led to endless bitterness, divisiveness, and didn't help HIM a damn. (He's gone now, didn't even make it to the age of 50.)

That can be bloody hard on everyone ELSE in the fam, too.

Spoiler:
(n.b: unless there's something quite wrong with her, the vacuuming while I was trying to sleep? Yeah, THAT would be a no-fly-zone with me. It's hard enough to get a decent night's sleep, when you're working ungodly hours; someone running a damn vacuum, "because she's a night owl?" BS on that. If she were working 16-hour shifts, and the ONLY time she had was the middle of the night, that's one thing. But just BECAUSE? When she turns off the heat, because SHE can hear the hum? How about a little reciprocity?)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM   #29196
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not handicapped in any way. But yes, she's the favourite. And I'm the one who feels overly responsible. I know for sure then when I move I won't get half the help my sister is getting.

And the vacuuming happened a couple of time, until I blew up after a particular busy and tiring Saturday. My sister need to be occasionally reminded not everyone is like her.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM   #29197
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Well in that case, she should do most of her own stuff.
Thanks for the clarification.
Cinisajoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM   #29198
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not handicapped in any way. But yes, she's the favourite. And I'm the one who feels overly responsible. I know for sure then when I move I won't get half the help my sister is getting.

And the vacuuming happened a couple of time, until I blew up after a particular busy and tiring Saturday. My sister need to be occasionally reminded not everyone is like her.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Let's guess: are you the eldest???

Hitch
Old Today, 04:20 AM   #29199
Rumpelteazer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Let's guess: are you the eldest???

Hitch
A good guess. And both my parents are also the youngest sibling, so I feel they can identify more with my sister than with me.
Old Today, 04:24 AM   #29200
Rumpelteazer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I thought YouTube doesn't have a 10 minute limit on video's anymore for a long time; at least not for regular content creators.

Then why is there such a trend going, with people trying to speak so fracking fast? If they go any faster, some reviewers/tutorial creators can rival a **** auctioneer. I actually think some are speeding up their video's and keeping the audio at the same pitch, or something.

I've heard that there was some sort of 'idea' in the USA, some time ago, to speed up all TV programs by 10 percent (thus cutting a 42 minute show down to around 38) to be able to fit more commercials in there without exceeding one hour. Has that ever taken off?
Last night I decided to get laptop which can play The Sims 4 and decided to watch some videos of people building Sim houses on YouTube (building houses is my favourite thing to do). Most of them were so sped up that you just couldn't clearly see what people were doing to make the house. I don't mind if it's sped up a bit, but this was ridiculous.
Old Today, 04:59 AM   #29201
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
A good guess. And both my parents are also the youngest sibling, so I feel they can identify more with my sister than with me.
Oh, I'd love to say it was a one-off thing, but the saga of being the eldest is a pretty well-known song. I am, many of my entrepreneurial friends are; there is simply something about being the eldest that ends up (generally--not always, of course) making you "the responsible one," and inevitably the one that gets screwed over, in favor of the baby of the family. It almost drove me, and my sister (younger than I, but older than him) berserk, dealing with my mother's relative insanity about not seeing my brother's flaws, or being unwilling to admit that they existed. {shrug}.

The whole "move on Xmas day" thing, and the fact that your parents hadn't stepped in, or said "that's insane" by the time you'd written the post? HAD TO BE a younger sibling that was a favorite. No other sane explanation. (I'd assumed that if there were extenuating circumstances, you'd have said.)

Hitch

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness