maindoor
Enthusiast
maindoor began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin
suggestions ??

Hi, I've been reading posts about the new software upgrade (1.8) and so far
I'm liking the reviews.
Can anyone comment if we still have the Power-save issue ? Does the
battery leak power when it is in standby ?
maindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:13 AM   #947
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
I agree with spaetz and also in general I'm really impressed. Thanks for the good work!

But I had some difficulties understanding the new zoom/crop/mode options in the new pdf reader. Especially "auto crop" sometimes results in random horizontal dashed lines (known issue? I'll try to make a screenshot as soon as possible). And after cropping, the content is not centered, but aligned to the left, which is kind of awkward... I'd love to have the old "crop margins" setting back, since the new one doesn't seem to work out as smoothly.
Hi Tuxor,
Some explanations were given by Booxtor in this thread. The "auto crop" is not linked with the zoom function. You can choose the auto crop level, after you must choose the zoom level. The dashed lines is a new improvement : the lines show the viewport's limits. You can change of viewport withe the buttons '<' and '>'. If there no refresh of the screen, you could have several lines if you change the auto crop level. After the first refresh, one line stay.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:53 AM   #948
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
I know Booxtor already had a long talk about these "modes" etc. But I also know that user "psv" complained about crop mode aligning the content to the left. Actually, it even sometimes aligns the content to the right - just randomly...

Having said that it's not at all intuitive how those settings really affect the result, I don't know how to check which mode ("page" or "scroll", "comic" or "paper", "auto crop" or "two-point") is actually activated at the moment - and that's a real GUI fail... I hope this is worked on.

EDIT: Referring to what Booxtor said, auto crop actually changes the page itself (internally without touching the document file), whereas zooming only affects the viewport. But in that case, after cropping, chosing "zoom to height" should only adjust the viewport such that the cropped page's height fits perfectly into the viewport. But this is not what happens: It usually zooms out so much that I get a margin of at least two cm around the whole cropped area. That's not logical, is it?

Last edited by tuxor; 11-07-2012 at 04:06 AM.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #949
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
I know Booxtor already had a long talk about these "modes" etc. But I also know that user "psv" complained about crop mode aligning the content to the left. Actually, it even sometimes aligns the content to the right - just randomly...

Having said that it's not at all intuitive how those settings really affect the result, I don't know how to check which mode ("page" or "scroll", "comic" or "paper", "auto crop" or "two-point") is actually activated at the moment - and that's a real GUI fail... I hope this is worked on.

EDIT: Referring to what Booxtor said, auto crop actually changes the page itself (internally without touching the document file), whereas zooming only affects the viewport. But in that case, after cropping, chosing "zoom to height" should only adjust the viewport such that the cropped page's height fits perfectly into the viewport. But this is not what happens: It usually zooms out so much that I get a margin of at least two cm around the whole cropped area. That's not logical, is it?

As I already said in some documents "auto crop" in "page settings" could have some problems to detect margins properly (it might be because of colored background, images, lines, "dirt" etc.) this is why we have add custom margins. If you just would give me some pages of your PDF file, so we could figure out what is wrong with, we could try to optimize "auto crop" for files like yours. Actually we have tested this function with lots of different PDFs and the final algoritm was polished and did work for all of that files.

We have also tried to keep the software being both flexible and intuitive. If you have ideas, what could be done to go further with optimization of intuitive GUI of it, you are welcome to share your ideas..
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #950
Lespaul
Enthusiast
Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
may i suggest that you collect some of these "problem" files or create files that could make problems and make some kind of manual or a youtube tutorial where you show how to get a good solution for those. otherwhise everyone has to send files to which kind you already have found a tweak for. and you probably get to much emails one day to answer them all.
Lespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #951
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lespaul View Post
may i suggest that you collect some of these "problem" files or create files that could make problems and make some kind of manual or a youtube tutorial where you show how to get a good solution for those. otherwhise everyone has to send files to which kind you already have found a tweak for. and you probably get to much emails one day to answer them all.
Yes of course, but I need at least one such a file
Old 11-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #952
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Let me explain my problems on the basis of the attached pdf (I attached only the first 5 pages, because they are sufficient for demonstration).

When I open this document for the first time (!) on my M92 and change to page 3 (table of contents) it looks like this:

That's totally fine for me, but of course I want to crop the huge margins, so that's what I do. (I chose auto crop level 1, but the same errors apply for all the other auto crop levels.)

And this is what it looks like:

So why the hell is this dashed horizontal line a "feature"? I think, I don't get the point. And besides that: Why is the cropped content aligned to the left of the screen? Anyways, once I go to the next page or do something similar, the horizontal line vanishes.

Now let's see what happens when "zoom to height" is chosen:

Seems like the "Auto crop" did not change the internal notion of the "page", does it?

Next problem, back in "Auto crop" (lvl 1): After changing to page 5 the two words "Bibliography" and "Index" are cropped as well. (Something which does not occur with auto crop level 0, at least.)

If I now decide to go back to page 4, it won't be displayed as before but cropped differently. Particularly the last line ("Übergangswahrscheinlichkeiten 130") is cropped, which is the case with all crop levels. (The content is still aligned to the left btw.)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf out.pdf (63.7 KB, 272 views)

Last edited by tuxor; 11-07-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #953
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Let me explain my problems on the basis of the attached pdf (I attached only the first 5 pages, because they are sufficient for demonstration).
You have selected and used wrong "Auto Crop" tool It is a little bit confusing, I know. But the proper "auto crop" that you need for your purpose is "hidden" in "page settings", not in "reading tools".
We are looking for a new proper name of that tool to avoid the confusion. The auto crop which you selected is rather a zooming tool and doesn't change page settings.

Last edited by Booxtor; 11-07-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #954
tuxor
Addict

I'm sorry, but if I choose the other auto crop, nothing happens at all. So that's definitely not the solution...
Old 11-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #955
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
I'm sorry, but if I choose the other auto crop, nothing happens at all. So that's definitely not the solution...
"^ This"

In all seriousness, though, tuxor is describing the exact same problems/experiences I'm having.

I may note: Even if the correct settings is the (not working) "Auto Crop" Item on the "Page Settings" controls, why does the "Auto Crop" in "Reading Tools" place dashed lines right through the content? What's it's purpose after all?
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #956
tuxor
Addict

I renamed the file so that the M92's pdf viewer resets the standard view settings and ran another test proceeding exactly like above besides that I used the other "auto crop" tool:

Neither auto crop nor zoom to height lead to the behaviour I used to find very useful with the old "remove margins" tool.

BTW: Sorry for the bad photo quality. I'm using a phone cam with bad ambient light.

Last edited by tuxor; 11-07-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #957
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Neither auto crop nor zoom to height lead to the behaviour I used to find very useful with the old "remove margins" tool.

BTW: Sorry for the bad photo quality. I'm using a phone cam with bad ambient light.
Let me check..
I see the problem with the file.

We will try to figure out a solution. The current auto crop in page settings was merely designed for multicolumn reading.

I see that "fit to widht" and "fit to hight" zooming tools do not work in "auto crop" mode. Will be fixed soon.

Last edited by Booxtor; 11-07-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #958
tuxor
Addict

"Auto crop" in page settings doesn't do anything for me with any pdf I tested, I'm afraid. Is it supposed to do what the old "crop margins" tool used to do?
Old 11-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #959
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Is there any reason the "Fullscreen" option has been removed? Personally, I'd prefer every inch of extra reading space and don't have particular use for a bar at the bottom in most documents. Could that be added back?

As for the semantics of setting up the page, if I may make a suggestion, I'd say that the more simple it is, the better.

There should be exactly one option for Autocrop: Its level. Where 0 means no autocrop and everything above crops by a certain threshold in gray.

When autocrop is active, the document behaves exactly as if we were dealing with it's cropped version. No tricks.

A second setting determines the number of columns by which the Next and Previous buttons operate.

Then, orthogonal to that, we have zoom.

So in summary

--- Page Settings ---
Autocrop: 0-10
Number of Columns: 1-...
--- Zoom Actions ---
Zoom to Width
Zoom to Height
Zoom by Percent
...etc...
--- Tool Selection - Joystick ---
Zoom and Pan (up and down zoom, left and right pan left and right)
Pan (all directions pan)
--- Tool Selection - Pen ---
Zoom
Pan
Annotate (Pen)
Annotage (Eraser)
...etc...

< and > buttons advance forwards, respectively backwards through the document by the setting "Number of Columns".

This is a minimal set of options, allowing for maximum flexibility. Do you reckon with any usecase which is not covered by that?

Last edited by ManDay; 11-07-2012 at 01:52 PM.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #960
psv
Connoisseur
psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.psv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, remarkable
Quote:
"Auto crop" in page settings doesn't do anything for me with any pdf I tested, I'm afraid. Is it supposed to do what the old "crop margins" tool used to do?
I confirm this problem
psv is offline   Reply With Quote