Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #181
xgirl1
xgirl1 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo & kobo for android
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasa1 View Post
I'm new to the Kobo, and i have both a KT and the app on my iphone. i've managed to get 27 awards on my KT. Is that all of them available for the KT atm?

The one's i'm really struggling to get are the Fully Loaded.. i'm sure i side loaded some PDFs and ePUBs, and it didn't seem to trigger it. Do you need to side load a certain number of books? or is it just that i have the method wrong? Any ideas?!

Also, struggling to get the Classic Attack.. like a lot of others, it seems, i deleted the five classic books off my kobo, but having looked on here, i've redownloaded them and reread them all, and it will only give me 80% and so it won't give me the award! No idea what i'm doing wrong but i'd love sugestions!

Lastly (sorry, lots of questions, i'm new!), i'm from the UK.. i'm guessing that means that i can't get a few of the awards, as magazines and newspapers aren't available on kobo over here yet. Also, i couldn't find the dead reckoning book on kobo in the UK, or any of the pretty little liars books for the 4 associated awards..does anyone know if you can get these in the UK? or if some of these awards are limited to the US and Canada?
when i got mine i plugged my phone into my laptop and opened the kobo folder. i then just draged a pdf file into it and safely removed my phone. after that i went into the kobo ap and went into the menu and clicked on import content. it searched my phone and brought up the file i had draged. i clicked ok and it imported it and gave me the award.

i hope this helps you
xgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #182
renee0986
Enthusiast
renee0986 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
This was a great help thanks.

I didn't think the awards would work with side loaded books...guess Kobo wouldn't make enough money that way.

The last time I tried to correct the metadata and covers of my books I deleted them one by one off of my Vox for fear of using the mass delete option in the Kobo menu would also delete my awards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heleneArch View Post
Salut Vice-Versa

renee0986

-->1) Is it possible to get the Sookie Stackhouse award on KV? If so, can you only obtain this award from copies of the books which have been purchased from Kobo's store or can you also get this award from side loaded books? <--

I've tried by reading the side loaded books, didn't get any award for it. Perhaps it's either a specific SS book or simply not available on the KV?

-->2) Will using Kobo Desktop also work for syncing (and essentially backing up) your awards with KV or is Kobo Desktop syncing only available with the original Kobo and KT?<--

My KV has been restarted to factory settings 3 times since I got it at Christmas time, and every time, my awards have been 'saved'. I don't know if this answers your question really...

-->Also, just to confirm that I'm not missing something here. Awards available on andriod = Kobo Vox awards? Meaning none of the iOS awards are available to the Vox?<--

I believe most Android awards are available on KV.
No iOS awards for sure, on the KV.

Hope this helps!

A+
Helene A.
renee0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #183
sarasa1
Enthusiast
sarasa1 began at the beginning.

Device: KT and iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgirl1 View Post
when i got mine i plugged my phone into my laptop and opened the kobo folder. i then just draged a pdf file into it and safely removed my phone. after that i went into the kobo ap and went into the menu and clicked on import content. it searched my phone and brought up the file i had draged. i clicked ok and it imported it and gave me the award.

i hope this helps you
Thank you! I'm sorry, can i get you to clarify? you plugged in your iphone, but what kobo folder did you open? do you mean the kobo desktop?

and where does and where is the import option on the iphone app? or did you mean the desktop app?

Apologies, i'm clearly not very computer-competent!
sarasa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #184
Cameronpaterson
Addict
Cameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura aboutCameronpaterson has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by verano View Post
I wish you worked at Kobo!!!! I think the exact same thing- it seems like a reasonably cheap/quick thing to work on a regular basis to come out with new awards/stickers to keep the masses happy.
Why thank you We can only hope someone who does work for Kobo read my post. I think I will pitch this idea on the Kobo Getsatisfaction page
Cameronpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #185
TurtleTots
TurtleTots began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I got Juggernaut this morning!!!!! I'm so happy, my DD had deleted the app from my phone when I was about 86% complete, and I had to start again
I also got Total closer, total recall, classic, the end, and all you can eat today!! although AYKE comes and goes... lol

I'm not able to get lost in Austen, or Fanatic. I have 'read' both Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, as well as 3 other books by Jane Austen. Are these bugs?
TurtleTots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #186
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
congrats for your new badges as it seems they are not the easiers to get...
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:21 AM   #187
mags75
mags75 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
The one's i'm really struggling to get are the Fully Loaded.. i'm sure i side loaded some PDFs and ePUBs, and it didn't seem to trigger it. Do you need to side load a certain number of books? or is it just that i have the method wrong? Any ideas?!
i found they can't be books downloaded from the net and put on... i downloaded "free books" from the kobo library and got the fully loaded award after about 40 books... then deleted them
mags75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #188
LolaJay
Enthusiast
LolaJay began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTots View Post
I got Juggernaut this morning!!!!! I'm so happy, my DD had deleted the app from my phone when I was about 86% complete, and I had to start again
I also got Total closer, total recall, classic, the end, and all you can eat today!! although AYKE comes and goes... lol

I'm not able to get lost in Austen, or Fanatic. I have 'read' both Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, as well as 3 other books by Jane Austen. Are these bugs?
I got Juggernaut last night. Yay!! I Can Haz Ebuk? showed up day before yesterday, which is really cute btw.

I love these awards! I think I'm sticker motivated like a previous poster mentioned. Hopefully the next update (whenever that may be) will include some new awards.

Just as an aside, does anyone know what the 'One Millionth Award' is?
LolaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #189
PiersS
Enthusiast
PiersS began at the beginning.

xgirl,make a note in a book, use the word 'lol'

along with not getting awards for side loaded books (ie, Lost in Austen), perhaps they don't count books that you skim through, might account for the 80% on Sarasa1 classic attack .. but consider yourself lucky, I've read Alice & Huckleberry Finn start to finish and don't have any % listed.

I think later today I'll list what I have, and what I should have.. (or so I think lol) ..

haven't seen Sharkus in a while here

Last edited by PiersS; 02-17-2012 at 09:36 AM.
PiersS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #190
LolaJay
Enthusiast
LolaJay began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heleneArch View Post
Fully Loaded = You added documents to your app - Adding outside reads is an awesome way to fill our your library.

It must mean you have to "side load"/transfer e-books from your pc, and not purchase them from Kobo Shop?
I guess that's what it means. I haven't used the desktop Kobo app yet. I actually haven't even put it on my Mac yet! Since I have the Vox, I just buy my books in the Kobo store (either on my Vox or on my Mac) and they automatically download to my Vox thru the wireless connection.

So to "side load" I would install the Kobo app on my Mac and then...??? A little help??
LolaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #191
PiersS
Enthusiast

Slow day at work, here's my list, 32/32 with nothing listed in progress

1. Welcome to reading life
2. Facebook
3. I heart my library
4. Once upon a time
5. Not an open book
6. Scout leader
7. Deep thinker
8. Inverted comma
9. Night rider
10. Fanatic (thanks to the free StarWars books for my son )
11. Papillon
12. Freeloader
13. The Twain Award
14. Juggernaut
15. Page turner
16. Afternoon rush hour
17. Happy hour
18. Primetime
19. Better in bed
20. Witching hour
21. Graveyard Shift
22. Eat it
23. Kill the commute
24. Sleeping in
25. I eat books for lunch
26. Playing hooky
27. Off the wall
28. Quoth the maven
29. All you can eat
30. Fully loaded
31. eReading rainbow
32. LOLZ

I've got 30 awards, but have only received the Scout Leader award, no sign of Highly Decorated

I've re-read a couple of short books, but no sign of Total Recall

I've looked up many words in the dictionary, but can't seem to get Word Up, nor have I received Pressed for Details despite doing the long press on quite a number of books on my shelf.

I'm currently reading The Return of Sherlock Holmes, which contains the phrase "The game's afoot" in hopes of getting that award

My Vox didn't come with the 5 freebies, I've downloaded the 5 and hopefully will get the Classic Attack.

Downloaded Sense & Sensibility + Pride & Prejudice for Lost in Austen and HG Wells Time Machine to see if that gets me Time Lord

I also noticed Twisted in the list on kobo's website, which says "The Pretty Little Liars crew are back from Jamaica with even more secrets…" which indicated the Pretty Little Liars book #9, so I downloaded the preview to that, and when I was done, nothing. Is the award still valid, and if so, do we have to read the whole book.. if so, that's an award I won't be getting lol

I don't read newspapers and the magazine selection is not very good, more awards I don't mind not getting.. but when I've fulfilled requirements, it's annoying that they aren't programmed in

some of this is repeated info from a few pages back
Old 02-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #192
PiersS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaJay View Post
I guess that's what it means. I haven't used the desktop Kobo app yet. I actually haven't even put it on my Mac yet! Since I have the Vox, I just buy my books in the Kobo store (either on my Vox or on my Mac) and they automatically download to my Vox thru the wireless connection.

So to "side load" I would install the Kobo app on my Mac and then...??? A little help??
you don't need the app, just need to plug your reader into the computer via USB and drag some epubs to the reader, which comes up as e: drive or something similar. Disconnect the reader and it should ask if you'd like to scan and import new files (don't remember exact wording)
Old 02-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #193
sarasa1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags75 View Post
i found they can't be books downloaded from the net and put on... i downloaded "free books" from the kobo library and got the fully loaded award after about 40 books... then deleted them
I'm assuming you meant you went onto the website, (not that kobo desktop app), and downloaded them? my iphone automatically synced the free books i downloaded this way, but no award.. bit frustrating really! not entirely sure what it wants me to do! grr.

Am i wrong in assuming that if you download all these books to the KT, then you don't get the award.. it has to be done on the iphone app?

This award (fully loaded) and the classic attack remain irritatingly elusive atm.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #194
sarasa1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiersS View Post
xgirl,make a note in a book, use the word 'lol'

along with not getting awards for side loaded books (ie, Lost in Austen), perhaps they don't count books that you skim through, might account for the 80% on Sarasa1 classic attack .. but consider yourself lucky, I've read Alice & Huckleberry Finn start to finish and don't have any % listed.

I think later today I'll list what I have, and what I should have.. (or so I think lol) ..

haven't seen Sharkus in a while here

For lost in Austen, what i did was read all five Austen books, and they're all free from the kobo bookstore. It did work, though it took a bit of time to come through. i know a lot of posts on here say you just need to read P&P and S&S, but my award (when i got it) said well done for reading 5 Austen books. (i happen to love her books so read them all). Hope that helps!

As for my classic attack, i'm gonna try and read all 5 through again, but its annoying, as i've already read them, mostly on my KT, and it didn't seem to do much!

Btw, does anyone have the definitive list on which 5 are needed for the classic attack? There are a few different lists out there. And some of the books (eg. Pride and Prejudice) have several different free versions on to kobo store, and so i'm wondering if i'm just reading one with the wrong cover?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #195
PiersS
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm assuming you meant you went onto the website, (not that kobo desktop app), and downloaded them? my iphone automatically synced the free books i downloaded this way, but no award.. bit frustrating really! not entirely sure what it wants me to do! grr.

Am i wrong in assuming that if you download all these books to the KT, then you don't get the award.. it has to be done on the iphone app?

This award (fully loaded) and the classic attack remain irritatingly elusive atm.
No, no website.. I had a large number of .epub on my computer drive already from having a Nook a couple years ago, and just dragged/dropped them into the Kobo when it was usb connected..

Tags
awards, reading life, touch