Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 06:51 AM   #31
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
Hey, I´m one of those who waited for Duke Nukem Forever since 1997.
Don't fret! The Duke's not dead yet!

Quote:
Do they really sell new devices with that FW?
If they do sell the new device with buggy software - which they obviously do - and flaws they were aware of - which the obviously are since they don't distribute the firmware update - Bookeen may be in for some legal problems, if these bugs cause some damages to any user's hardware like a USB-connected PC.

Really don't understand why they're doing what they're doing. Oh well, my 5" Pocketbook 360° is on its way, so I hope I'll have a more than equivalent substitue by Monday, epub- and prc-support in one device. Non-DRM, that is.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:18 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
If they do sell the new device with buggy software - which they obviously do - and flaws they were aware of - which the obviously are since they don't distribute the firmware update - Bookeen may be in for some legal problems, if these bugs cause some damages to any user's hardware like a USB-connected PC.
All non-trivial software has bugs. Vanishingly unlikely to "damage" anyone's PC .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #33
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Someone's said that they got a replacement device with folder support. That would suggest that it was the same (or a later) firmware version as the one given out at the Paris meet-up.
Ok, that really, really, really surprises me. If they deem the firmware fit enough to put on new devices sent out to unsuspecting customers without giving them any notice that they are running beta software..... well, then it IS NOT beta software.

I rest my case, I have no idea what goes on in their brains
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:49 AM   #34
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All non-trivial software has bugs. Vanishingly unlikely to "damage" anyone's PC .
how could the device damage a PC? Sending out damaging bursts via USB would be impossible with the small battery...
And apart from that there is only the device itself to damage. As far as I have seen the bootloader seems to be separate from the "payload" firmware. So, no matter how buggy the FW you could always change to another version without bricking it entirely
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #35
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
True, so let's hope these bugs don't cause any permanent damage to the Opus device itself. Which also would be a warranty issue.
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #36
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
When the new firmware is released, I'd like to know... other than that I can plainly see we're unlikely to get any news from Bookeen as to when it will be ready.

Clearly the firmware is "feature complete" which means that all that's left is bug testing, and possibly any legal agreements. Neither of those have timescales that are accurate, so we won't really know.

Bookeen could update their blog with thing such as "We've currently got a bug list that we are working through, there's 10 bugs we need to fix before we can release it" but they don't go in for that type of thing.

So all we can really do is wait. Emailing them isn't going to come out with an answer, if they don't have an answer.

What I'd like though is for someone who's really active here to start a thread, which is immediately locked "New Firmware Alert Thread". That way I can subscribe to it and receive an email when the new firmware is released. As much as I like this forum I don't come on every day, and more often than not I come on just to make sure I haven't missed a firmware release.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #37
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Clearly the firmware is "feature complete" which means that all that's left is bug testing, and possibly any legal agreements. Neither of those have timescales that are accurate, so we won't really know.

As much as I like this forum I don't come on every day, and more often than not I come on just to make sure I haven't missed a firmware release.
They are already making replacements and selling Gen3 devices with the new firmware! There seems to be nothing left...

Maybe the new firmware doesn't work yet on the older models or they need different versions..?! But these would be problems, that could be easily solved (e.g. make a check of SN before downloading).

Sad to say, but your chances of missing a firmware update from Bookeen are very, very low.
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #38
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Sad to say, but your chances of missing a firmware update from Bookeen are very, very low.
There's been one or two since I bought it, but I've not actually bothered updating it... Folder support is all I'm after.

I see what you mean though, I've been checking here and grumbling for about a year now waiting on folder support. You'd think by now I'd have learned, but no, it always seems to be just around the corner... so I check repeatedly.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #39
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Folder support is all I'm after.
There's an expensive solution... just buy a new one (already comes with folder support)...
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #40
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
What I'd like though is for someone who's really active here to start a thread, which is immediately locked "New Firmware Alert Thread". That way I can subscribe to it and receive an email when the new firmware is released. As much as I like this forum I don't come on every day, and more often than not I come on just to make sure I haven't missed a firmware release.
That's an interesting suggestion. I've asked the other moderators to consider it. Many of them are more familiar with the Cybook than I am.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #41
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
I still can't believe it has nearly been a year since the last official firmware was released. And a minimal firmware at that. I truly hope Bookeen answers your letter because I want to know what's up. I love my Cybook to death, but I don't think I will ever buy another Bookeen product due to their inability to deliver the goods. Reputation is everything, after all.
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:23 AM   #42
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I'm registered for both the Bookeen e-mails and RSS, but even these avenues seem quiet - cannot remember the last time anything came through from these sources....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:18 AM   #43
K-Thom
The one and only

Maybe "All quiet on the Bookeen front" will become a classic, too ...
Old 08-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #44
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Maybe "All quiet on the Bookeen front" will become a classic, too ...

you mean like "Gone with the Wind" ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #45
K-Thom
The one and only

Scarlett Cybook: Bookeen, Bookeen ... if the firmware update doesn't come, where shall I go? What shall I do?
Rhett Bookeen: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Now in Technicolor!