Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Jetbook disassembled and dyed (with pictures!)

So, I decided that since I don't like the white color of my new jetBook, I'm going to change it with vinyl dye. Probably to a darkish blue. In the process, I disassembled it completely so I can dye the casing without risking damage to any of the components. It was about 20 or so small screws.

The processor is apparently under the battery in a area "sealed" by foil. I had the bend up the foil to remove screws holding the the screen but I don't want to rip it all off. But you could at least see the rest of the internals. Would y'all want to see pictures? Best way to post them (Photobucket, inline attachment...)?

If I'm successful with the dye job, I can post pictures of the result as well.

Last edited by Kralik; 07-27-2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Title addition
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
So, I decided that since I don't like the white color of my new jetBook, I'm going to change it with vinyl dye. Probably to a darkish blue. In the process, I disassembled it completely so I can dye the casing without risking damage to any of the components. It was about 20 or so small screws.

The processor is apparently under the battery in a area "sealed" by foil. I had the bend up the foil to remove screws holding the the screen but I don't want to rip it all off. But you could at least see the rest of the internals. Would y'all want to see pictures? Best way to post them (Photobucket, inline attachment...)?

Very interesting! It will be nice to see the pictures and unique blue version too .
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:

awesome! i would love to see this!

put them on photobucket or anywhere and then send us the link!
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I have some pictures taken of the "before" and I'm going to start spraying it today. I'll give a step-by-step guide for disassembly in case anyone else wants to try it... probably will post the whole lot of pictures later today.

On the plus side, the battery could be easily changed out simply by getting the case opened (4 screws). I wonder if anyone sells it, hmm...
Old 07-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Kralik
Guru

OK, here are some pictures, with instructions to follow. Link to album.

jetBook and parts: overview:

jetBook and parts: overview two (other side):

Screen closeup:

Internals closeup:

Battery set aside and foil peeled (CPU etc is under foil):

Blue dye job (still wet):

I'll put it all back together tomorrow once it's been given ample time to dry. Fire away with any questions!
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Wow!! Very impressive!

A Jetbook splatter movie. Hopefully, it will come alive again!
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Wow!! Very impressive!

A Jetbook splatter movie. Hopefully, it will come alive again!
Well, even in its current state, it has no trouble powering on and working. I was careful.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, even in its current state, it has no trouble powering on and working. I was careful.
Nice color but blue version has no jetBook name on it anymore. Do you have plans to add jetBook logo under screen?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Nice color but blue version has no jetBook name on it anymore. Do you have plans to add jetBook logo under screen?
Naw. I figured the blue would cover all, which is why I removed the keys (which will remain white). If I put the serial number sticker back (haven't decided yet if I will) that will bear witness to it being a jetBook.

Note: I suppose you could tape over the logo if you wanted to keep it... or use a lighter color of dye.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Naw. I figured the blue would cover all, which is why I removed the keys (which will remain white). If I put the serial number sticker back (haven't decided yet if I will) that will bear witness to it being a jetBook.

Note: I suppose you could tape over the logo if you wanted to keep it... or use a lighter color of dye.
I like this blue color but I decided to keep the original black color untached
Old 07-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
Kralik
Guru

I would have stuck with black, but I opted to save $30 and get the white from NewEgg. This before I heard about the 20%/BB&B deal. But it's just as well, since white is much easier to dye than black and I may have the only blue jetBook around.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:

Interesting. I have never heard of a vinyl dye before. What is the name of the product you used?
Old 07-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
Kralik
Guru

Here's my basic step-by-step disassembly guide (from memory, so I might miss a few things). Tools needed:

-Precision screwdriver set
-Plastic baggies to store screws of varying types
-Patience

All of the screws are small Phillips-type, but the small flathead screwdrivers are handy for prying the case open, peeling back the foil, popping off the number keys, etc.

1) First, remove the SD card. You will not be able to open the case completely with it in.
2) Remove the four small hole coverings from the back. They are round and rubbery with no adhesive. Underneath are four small screws. Remove these, label, and set aside.
3) Carefully pry open the case. I wasn't sure if it would be able to be opened without breaking something, but it can be done with a small amount of force. All it is is a bunch of tabs. I started in the corner by the headphone output, pried it open with my fingernails, and then wedged in a small screwdriver. I then took a slightly larger screwdriver and slowly went around the edges, prying a bit here, wedging a bit there. 3 small drivers is optimal (2 to wedge, one to pry). After you get one side off (the long sides are easiest), the others are easier. Do the SD card area last and slowly, as the plastic is rather thin in that spot.
4) You now have access to the internals and could remove/replace the battery if you want. Note that there are some loose pieces in the area of the reset button: either place these aside for later or keep them in place. They won't slide around but they could fall off if you didn't notice them. And now to remove the screen...
5) Remove all of the screws you can see. There are several in the black area around the battery, as well as a bunch on the green board. They are NOT all the same size, so note which ones go to green, which ones go to black, which ones have larger heads, etc. One small black screw is unique -- it is attached to a gold metal piece and the slider bar for page turns.
6) After removing the visible screws, there are still 4 more under the battery. To access them, carefully remove the foam padding on the end of the battery next to the power switch. With a flathead screwdriver, pry up the metal shielding an inch or so to access the last screws.
7) Voila! You can now remove the screen from the rest of the casing. If it seems to be stuck, check the area of resistance to see if you missed any screws.
8) Preparing for painting with vinyl dye: carefully pop out each of the number keys from behind by pressing on the tabs with a small flat screwdriver. Remove page up/down and arrow key buttons if you haven't already. Either pry off the back Ectaco label or plan to tape over it carefully (I think taking it off is safer. It is a hard metallic type). Remove the remaining two large hole covers from the back (these are the sticky ones).
9) Remove the slider bar. First, you have to detach a springy-bit of wire. Be VERY careful in removing it, and learn from my experience: I slowly popped out one side of the wire and it shot--ZING!--to an unknown part of my office carpet. After scouring the carpet for at least an hour, vacuuming and checking the dust canister, I could not find it. Luckily, I was able to replace its function with a piece of a small safety pin.
10) The jetBook is now ready to spray! The only thing you might be concerned about is the LED light location (clear plastic). I decided to spray it anyway and see what happens. Maybe I'll get a glowy blue light. Otherwise, I don't mind so much, since the LED kinda annoys me.

I think that's it! Here's a quick guide to the painting that was my starting point (first try I've given to something like this). Ironically, I went out and bought the paint and found that it is exactly the same as the can in the article. The right stuff should soak in and stain/dye the plastic, NOT leave a permanent coating. No need to sand/prime/etc.

Last edited by Kralik; 07-27-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #14
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Interesting. I have never heard of a vinyl dye before. What is the name of the product you used?
It's normally found in auto parts stores. The name of the particular one I got is "plasti-kote vinyl color" (413 dark blue)... you can see a picture of it here. At the same store there were various other colors in the same brand, such as red, grey, brown, black, silver, sand, light blue, etc.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:42 AM   #15
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Pretty cool....love the color!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote