Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-14-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Conference attendees love the iLiad!

I just got back from a 4 day conference on training/learning games (http://nasaga.org for more info), and my iLiad was the hit of the conference. I quickly lost track of how many people had asked me for demos, asked to try it, asked where they could get one, etc. iRex is probably about to get a bunch of orders.

HOWEVER... the number-one question was, "so does it convert your handwriting to text?" At first I answered "no, but..." and then I realized the correct answer was really "I don't have it configured to do that, currently," as I could install abiword and use the single-line HWR to enter text. I did tell people that Vision Objects, the company that provided the single-line input, is considering porting their full-screen HWR software to the iLiad, but that so far there are no Linux-based full-page HWR programs, so I'd have to move my files to the Mac or a PC to use HWR software. (I have Readiris on the Mac, and it would probably work -- I've just never tried it.)

Other questions that came up related to searching on the descriptions rather than the filename (I was surprised that this didn't work) and other ways to organize files. I think the iLiad has some improvements to make in this area. But the multiple card formats supported, USB drive emulationl, wi-fi connection, and open OS were huge hits. No one was put off by the battery life or lack of back-light, and surprisingly few people thought the price was out of line, considering the functionality. The stylus was regarded as a critical feature by many. They weren't even interested in hearing about other e-ink alternatives that had no stylus.

Oh, and the fact that I have nearly my entire science fiction library on board was a smile-maker, too. These are people who travel a lot, and they are very conscious of the weight of books.

iRex, if you're listening, I think the "traveling consultant/trainer" market is ripe for conquest!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:57 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Heh, sounds like you probably just spiked their orders for a while -- they should pay you a commission!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
ig88
Gadget Guy
ig88 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad - iPhone - OSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I have Readiris on the Mac, and it would probably work -- I've just never tried it.
I would be interested to know if that worked.

Quote:
Other questions that came up related to searching on the descriptions rather than the filename (I was surprised that this didn't work)
THIS to me is THE BIGGEST issue today with the iLiad, and I am TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY that this device has no way to search files for content.

It just seems like such a no-brainer!

Here I have a device that can hold gobs and gobs of information, manuals, research, etc.; and no way to search any of it.

Mind-boggling!

I can't imagine that a wheel would need to be invented here...

This one just totally surprises me, every time I think of it, wish I could do it, or somebody mentions it...
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Implementing a dialog for grep would do it for most people. The thing that really surprises me is that there's a way to attach a description to a file and then that doesn't get included in the search function. Seems like grep could solve that one, too-- it would just grep the manifest file (I'm assuming that's where those descriptions live) and display a list of matches.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote