Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
FrankKau
FrankKau began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Cool Trick

Not Really... Well lets say I need to turn a page. Press the pad and wait a torturous few seconds. Mostly all is well with the world, unless I need to turn lots of pages and the poorly coded ebook has no TOC. What I do in this unfortunate case is to click the direction pad madly without waiting for the page to refresh. When the page does finally refresh I find that many pages have been skipped...yahoo! It's just like when my ex used to accuse me of double clicking the tv remote. Now what once was a character flaw is serving me well! While it isn't a good thing to be true, it is however a lot like having a VCR with the fast forward broken, only to find out that you can fast forward by madly clicking the play button like an idiot. If there is a better way to do this I'd like to know, but the manual says nothing about even this brilliant technique.
FrankKau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Unfortunately there is no better way at the moment, except, of course, TOC navigation.
Good catch btw! I've been able to use this method to skip through about 100 pages in a few seconds. Good kludge solution until we get the GOTO PAGE functionality.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
That's a pretty cool trick, thanks for sharing
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
krazyleaf
krazyleaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, HTC Legend
Yes Thank You. Very Helpful.
krazyleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
mreclass
Enthusiast
mreclass began at the beginning.

That is quite a neat trick!

This will have to work as I have had nothing but issues in my attempt to continue reading (from a physical paper back) "On the Origin of Species" with my new Kobo that I just received today. First it would take more than 10-15 seconds to load and then it doesn't even display a completed Table of Contents.

I have used the reset button in the back and done a factory reset through the settings.

Thanks for the trick.
mreclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
So it wasn't my imagination. I had to do this when I did a sync with the borders software and it destroyed my bookmarks on a book I'd upped using calibre (it had chapters but only 3 of them in a 300 pg book). Its a nice trick, but I thought I was just imaging it because I was doing it whilst watching TV.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote