Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #16
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Can you share any links to reviews showing the Aura Sleepcover? I've not found any yet - my Google powers must be weak :-(

Incidentally you should compare the Aura side by side with the Aura HD. The HD screen is a lot clearer. But the Kobo sub-forum is elsewhere...
I have the sleep cover myself, if you want to message me with questions. I don't know that anyone's really bothered to review it on-line yet.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #17
alvina
Connoisseur
alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My mother and mother-in-law both have the T1 light cover from Sony and both covers are holding up just fine.
I think some people are just a bit upset because they can't get the new Sony Reader because they live in America. You know, the usual "I don't want what I can't get" and so forth.

But this is the Internet and we're in the Information Age now. If people need something from Europe, they can simply ask people (friends, family, internet forum users) to get and to send it for them.

Europeans do this a lot to get something they want from America, it should work the other way around, too.
alvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
Uh, I've got a lot of Sony Readers, but have to say that the covers do not give me a better or more comfortable feeling while holding them.

They are all more comfortable without any cover at all. So if they designed it for more, then they missed it with me.

The only reason I have the covers at all is to keep the screen from taking a direct hit and shattering. Or keeping keys or something sharp I've missed in my purse from rubbing the screens. (Although, you have to put them in with the opening up and spine down in a purse, or stuff will still get between the cover and the screen and ride up, which can leave scratches.)

And the covers are way too expensive. But they're all too expensive, so it's not just Sony gouging money that way.

One of the things that had me going with the new Kobo Aura (beside the fact Sony doesn't want to sell me a T3) is that the new cover looks thin and cheap on the video reviews. I can only see the spine ripping quickly as they're used. That's a lot of money for a cheap looking case.
And the Sony cover that's coming apart at the spine really enhances my experience

Like DuskyRose, I find the reader most comfortable to hold without a case. When I'm reading at home on my couch, I don't use the case. I do use the case to protect my reader in my handbag, and for privacy when reading in a public place, such as the wating area at a doctor's office or car mechanic.

I haven't yet decided what replacement case to get.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:57 AM   #19
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I have the Gecko deluxe cover. Absolutely awesome.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #20
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I have the sleep cover myself, if you want to message me with questions. I don't know that anyone's really bothered to review it on-line yet.
I saw an Aura HD sleepcover today in a WHSmiths so I don't need to take up your kind offer. I opened the box for a sneaky look!

It has a:
  • Hard smooth plastic rear shell which the Aura clips into, quite like how the T1 clips into the Sony case. Same sort of zigzag profile as the Aura.
  • Flap which is leather-like on front, brushed fabric inside
  • Possibly a magnetic clasp

The shell disappointed me a little, I was hoping for something softer. Something more like the Sony cover for the T1, I guess!
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I just think it's a big mistake by Sony to
a)Provide a cover included, then ....
b)Ask you to spend another chunk of dosh on buying another cover, should you want your reader to be lit.

Seems a bit of a cop out, somehow .... almost like they're not quite sure of their target market.
And, frankly, the light on the "optional " cover does look a bit, well, of an afterthought.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #22
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I think I am going to order one of those.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvina View Post
I think some people are just a bit upset because they can't get the new Sony Reader because they live in America. You know, the usual "I don't want what I can't get" and so forth.

But this is the Internet and we're in the Information Age now. If people need something from Europe, they can simply ask people (friends, family, internet forum users) to get and to send it for them.

Europeans do this a lot to get something they want from America, it should work the other way around, too.
I did this for someone on the MR. I got the money via PayPal. I bought a 505 and shipped it via UPS to wherever the person lived. Worked fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:30 AM   #24
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
I have a T1 and am using the unlit Sony cover. Had it since last Christmas. The corners on the front are getting a bit worn. Not frayed, per se, but losing some integrity. Not too bad, though. Unfortunately, my wife ordered the white one by mistake instead of the black one and it have picked up a lot of dirt as I carry it just about everywhere. I found a vinyl eraser takes some of it off, but not all. And let's not talk about the chocolate. But that was my fault. I normally carry it in a pocket in a jacket or trousers, sometimes in a bag. I've found it easy enough to fold back and it has protected the screen from getting any scratches, which is why I wanted a cover.

We got our first T1 in August of 2012. My wife uses that one now and we got one of these cases for it. http://www.amazon.ca/Evecase-Leather.../dp/B007K065NO
It only cost about twenty dollars, including shipping. It has stood up well, though, frankly, it looks kind of cheap. However, it has some padding and a closure on the front flap. It also has a hand loop to allow for really secure one hand reading. My wife tends to be a bit...careless...with things and this has protected the reader well and held up well.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:16 AM   #25
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I just think it's a big mistake by Sony to
a)Provide a cover included, then ....
b)Ask you to spend another chunk of dosh on buying another cover, should you want your reader to be lit.

Seems a bit of a cop out, somehow .... almost like they're not quite sure of their target market.
And, frankly, the light on the "optional " cover does look a bit, well, of an afterthought.
I think it would be good if one could just buy the T3 with either lit or unlit cover directly rather than unlit and then having to pay for the lit on top of it. However, the light seems like anything but an afterthought. It retracts flush into the back when not in use and it's powered directly from the Reader's battery.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #26
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
I have a T1 and am using the unlit Sony cover. Had it since last Christmas. The corners on the front are getting a bit worn. Not frayed, per se, but losing some integrity. Not too bad, though. Unfortunately, my wife ordered the white one by mistake instead of the black one and it have picked up a lot of dirt as I carry it just about everywhere. I found a vinyl eraser takes some of it off, but not all. And let's not talk about the chocolate. But that was my fault. I normally carry it in a pocket in a jacket or trousers, sometimes in a bag. I've found it easy enough to fold back and it has protected the screen from getting any scratches, which is why I wanted a cover.

We got our first T1 in August of 2012. My wife uses that one now and we got one of these cases for it. http://www.amazon.ca/Evecase-Leather.../dp/B007K065NO
It only cost about twenty dollars, including shipping. It has stood up well, though, frankly, it looks kind of cheap. However, it has some padding and a closure on the front flap. It also has a hand loop to allow for really secure one hand reading. My wife tends to be a bit...careless...with things and this has protected the reader well and held up well.
At least my Sony cover is black, so it doesn't show smudges too much. I always wondered why someone would intentionally get a white one. It would be nice-looking when it was new, but I'm sure if I had a white cover it would be a mess pretty quickly.

I have a new (black) Gecko cover on the way.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #27
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
At least my Sony cover is black, so it doesn't show smudges too much. I always wondered why someone would intentionally get a white one. It would be nice-looking when it was new, but I'm sure if I had a white cover it would be a mess pretty quickly.

I have a new (black) Gecko cover on the way.
Yeah, the white is an odd choice. It did look snazzy when new, though the fake leather part on the front wasn't even white, it was more a putty colour. The reader, however, is still nice and clean and unmarred. It does look sharp. For practical reasons, I wanted the black.

The Gecko covers are nice. I just can't justify the cost. The Reader and the cover were only $80 on sale last Christmas. Spending half the cost of the bundle (or more) on a cover, when I have one that works fine is something I can't bring myself to do. If my lotto ticket wins, however, I'll splurge.

Last edited by BadBilly; 10-18-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Because I used the word "though" far too often in the original version of the post.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #28
4691mls
Wizard

When I got the T1 I thought about getting a Gecko cover but, like you, I couldn't justify the cost at the time. I found a good deal on the Sony cover so I bought it. If it were just scuffed up I would keep using it, but I've already reglued parts of the spine twice and don't want to keep fixing it.

I see a lot of people on mobileread still using older Sony readers. I hope the T1 will keep going long enough to justify buying a new cover for it.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #29
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
So do I. I have had mine since they first came out and it shows very little sign of wear.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #30
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
I have several readers, T1s, T2, a 650. I've been using the T1 for the last few months, I'm trying very hard to like the T1. The case, the plain overpriced Sony case, is holding up well. The reader goes everywhere with me. I do keep it in a nylon pouch that I found in an art supply store. Its about 5" x 7" and provides good protection. The only reason I use a cover at all is to protect the screen. The 650, which also has the unlit Sony cover, is several years old and is in fine shape.

Future Shop / Best Buy in the Toronto area has been selling the unlit Sony covers for the T1/2 at $19, $20 of the normal $39. The lit cover is sometimes going for $39, again $20 off the usual price.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote