Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Riter
Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, pc
Question about Cleaning Up

I have a long list of classic ePubs I imported from Project Gutenberg and other sources. I've spruced them up for easier identification on my iBooks bookshelf by adding a custom cover. After I make that change, the book's folder in my Calibre library folder includes both Book-Title.ePub and Book-Title.original_epub.

I just went through and deleted all the .original_epub files, which no longer serve any purpose. Can anyone tell me how to get those old files to quit displaying in the book properties pane on the right?
Riter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riter View Post
I just went through and deleted all the .original_epub files, which no longer serve any purpose. Can anyone tell me how to get those old files to quit displaying in the book properties pane on the right?
You manually went thorugh each sub-directory and deleted files, right? Not a good idea.

Now the files are gone and the database thinks they're still there. Normally you want to right-click on the original file in the right pane and delete it from there. You might try a "Check Library". Click on down-arrow on Library icon. Choose Library Maintenence->Check Library and see it helps your problem.

Next time, don't look under calibre's skirts.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
right click on the remove books button and choose remove a specific format.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
Riter
Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Riter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Ah, well. Thank you. Perhaps I can get them back from the Recycle Bin and do it correctly. Deleting from the folder seemed intuitively obvious at the time. I'll figure something out. In truth, it doesn't make a bit of difference if that entry is there or not.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Check library will resolve the issue for you; no big deal.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Welcome to Mobileread.

Quote:
Ah, well. Thank you. Perhaps I can get them back from the Recycle Bin and do it correctly.
Sarcasm on the internet, who knew.

Quote:
Deleting from the folder seemed intuitively obvious at the time.
When dealing with a library management program your first instinct is to manually go outside the program directly to each folder? That's a little archaic, isn't it?

Quote:
I'll figure something out.
You have already been informed how to correct your issue by two different people in posts 2 and 3 above also again in post 5 after your sarcastic response. If you need further help don't hesitate to ask.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Riter

These marvelous programs with so unexpected options are confusing, even for those of us who have been using them for thirty years. The old-fashioned way works fine -- until it doesn't. Archaic or not, clumsy or not, it's what I knew, and it fit with the flow of what I was doing. I help befuddled people all the time, and I'm dismayed that my humor was heard as sarcasm. Using the remove option did help, thank you very much.

Last edited by Riter; 05-12-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
These marvelous programs with so unexpected options are confusing
This is true. More so for calibre because the developer often accommodates users requests for new features and the added flexibility of user created plugins. It is sort of like moving to an area occupied by a group of towns that, because of circumstance, grew too quickly into a metropolis. The streets can seem haphazard and unruly until you get to know all of the local shortcuts.

Quote:
I help befuddled people all the time, and I'm dismayed that my humor was heard as sarcasm.
Damn these internets.... text sometimes loses all context without hearing an inflection or seeing a face.

Quote:
Using the remove option did help, thank you very much.
I'm glad you have it sorted out and hope that you will be an active member and help out others with the knowledge you have and the knowledge you will acquire.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Riter

Thank you Doc, glad we are on the same page now.