Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 08-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
Binkyboy
Binkyboy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
What E readers read PDF files?

I have a Nook ST which doesn`t read PDF files and I was wondering which readers will read them? Thank you very much for your help and time.....

Thank you,
Dennis
Binkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook...ary-features-1

Supported File Types

ePub, PDF
Graphic: JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP

RTFM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
/me is waiting for the first eReader capable of actually reading a book.. I prefer it when my eReader just displays the book and lets ME read it!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
javyn
Enthusiast
javyn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Don't worry about Dennis' "RTFM" comment, dick move.

Even though PDF is technically supported, if the guy who RFTM actually used an e-ink reader, he's know they STINK for PDFs, and should not even be listed as a compatible format.

I'm sorry to tell you that to read PDFs well, especially large sized PDFs with lots of images, you are going to need a color tablet with a good processor. I am waiting on the iPad "mini" for this specific purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkyboy View Post
I have a Nook ST which doesn`t read PDF files and I was wondering which readers will read them? Thank you very much for your help and time.....

Thank you,
Dennis
javyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suggested that he Read The Fine Manual because there may be some information about encrypted PDFs. He may have to enable some certificates or something.

Most modern e-Ink readers support PDF just fine, as long as they're not ecrypted (protected).
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
javyn
Enthusiast

Trying to read a PDF in e-ink will be an exercise in frustration, seriously. Can't change font sizes, have to zoom in and zoom out, slow slow slow.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
DSpider
Evangelist

That depends on the PDF. For example, PDF files can also re-flow, if they are saved as a tagged PDF. I think they're called something like Accessibility Features. On the other hand, plain PDF files (the majority of PDF documents on the internet), are like a bunch of objects floating on a piece of paper. Those do not re-flow and they're a PITA to convert because the letters (and sometimes groups of letters) each have their individual coordinates. You can usually spot these by selecting text, and if they're all segmented, then it's not a tagged PDF.

It depends on the e-reader's software, as well. Fat chance reading Acrobat X files if your e-reader is from 2007. It may need a firmware update for that.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:08 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
And PDFs can be created specifically for a 6" screen. Of course, most PDFs you find around are probably created with US-letter or A4 page size, but it doesn't mean that is inherent to PDF, you can create it with any page size you want.

Or put it another way, take your preferred ebook format, your preferred reader, font size, layout, etc... A PDF can be made to look exactly like that. The drawback is that it will often not be reflowable, but it need not be less readable than other epub formats. (Now conversion is a different matter, that will always be a PITA.)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #9
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
You can read Letter/A4 sized pdfs on a 6" eInk reader by viewing, say, half a page at a time with the reader held in landscape, or zoomed into columns in portrait, particularly if your reader software allows you to crop the page to get rid of the margins. It's reasonably comfortable on my Sony PRS 650.

However, there's no doubt that a 10" tablet is a much better bet, and since getting my Touchpad a year ago I've not used my Sony for PDFs.

I'd love a light, A4 eInk reader, but the market seems to be moving away from even considering them.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 09-13-2012 at 05:47 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
javyn
Enthusiast

A 10" tablet would be best IMO, but....that would be heavy after a while. I think a 7 or 8" tablet w/ a good processor
Old 09-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #11
arslonga
Connoisseur
arslonga began at the beginning.

Device: none
My format of choice for the K4NT is the 9cm-by-11cm PDF document created from any Word-editable source.
arslonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
For those who haven't installed it yet.

Must-have for Kindle 3 keyboard and Kindle DX owners !!!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190641
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PauN_9O4dM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5bH8...feature=relmfu

Last edited by markom; 11-29-2012 at 07:05 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
There are many tools to help with viewing of PDF files on an e-reader. See the stickies in the PDF Forum, for example.

Last edited by willus; 12-01-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Didn't realize age of post
willus is offline   Reply With Quote