Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-04-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
Taantric
Taantric began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Nook Color
Does Kobo have a non-standard EPUB format?

I am having a strange issue with two Kobo ebooks I purchased today. When I open any of the two ebooks in either :

- Mantano Reader app on Nook Color CM7
- Aldiko Reader app on Nook Color CM7
- Nook reading app on Stock Nook Color

In all of the above apps the book text is corrupted. Like half the page is in normal text and half is in weird ascii characters and numbers. This is happening on all pages in both the books.

Both Mantano and Aldiko are activated with my Adobe account. I copied the files over to the Nook using Adobe Digital Editions. This is worked for all my other DRM ebooks.

However if I open the books in the Kobo reader app, they work fine. But the Kobo app is crap compared to the Mantano app.

Please help.
Taantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I haven't seen this with my Kobo ePubs in Bluefire Reader on my iPhone or on my Nook Touch. Though my copies are... DRM-free.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I believe that the file downloaded by the Kobo app does have a different format (or at least different DRM) from the files downloaded when you download the epub file to Adobe Digital Editions. The ADE version should be readable on any reader registered to the same ADE account.

I always download the epub version so that I can keep a permanent copy in the standard format.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taantric View Post
In all of the above apps the book text is corrupted. Like half the page is in normal text and half is in weird ascii characters and numbers. This is happening on all pages in both the books.
Do they look OK in the ADE desktop software?

[quote]However if I open the books in the Kobo reader app, they work fine. But the Kobo app is crap compared to the Mantano app.QUOTE]
The Kobo app isn't using a regular ePub, it's using Kobo's "kepub" format or something like that.

All the devices/apps you mention having the problem use Adobe's RMSDK to provide the use of DRM'd books so it possible that there's some kind of bug in the RMSDK.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The Kobo app isn't using a regular ePub, it's using Kobo's "kepub" format or something like that.
I know that on iOS, and I believe on Android, the app is using the regular ePub now; it's just using their own encryption instead of ADE so they don't need to pay Adobe. (They used to use their own format, but that changed a while back.)
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
I know that on iOS, and I believe on Android, the app is using the regular ePub now; it's just using their own encryption instead of ADE so they don't need to pay Adobe. (They used to use their own format, but that changed a while back.)
Oh, cool didn't know that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Actually kepub is still distinct from ePUB. See the wiki for details. A kepub file is stored similar to an ePub file that has been expanded but if you were to copy it from a device you would not be able to read it on other devices. It is used in conjunction with a database to provide extra functionality. When you buy a book from the Kobo site it can generally be downloaded in either ePUB or kepub (if you have a kobo device). A kobo device can read a regular ePub file but some of the special Kobo features will not work on that book.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
Taantric

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Do they look OK in the ADE desktop software?

All the devices/apps you mention having the problem use Adobe's RMSDK to provide the use of DRM'd books so it possible that there's some kind of bug in the RMSDK.

They look perfectly fine in ADE desktop. I have attached a screenshot showing the book in Mantano and another screenshot of the same page in ADE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Book 1 Screenshot-2.png
Views:	292
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	73870   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE.PNG
Views:	296
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	73871  
Old 07-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
Taantric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
I haven't seen this with my Kobo ePubs in Bluefire Reader on my iPhone or on my Nook Touch. Though my copies are... DRM-free.

I tried that ... DRM free... option too but it was no use, exactly the same issue in EPUB format and in PDF format the pages were blank with just the page header visible.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
Taantric

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I believe that the file downloaded by the Kobo app does have a different format (or at least different DRM) from the files downloaded when you download the epub file to Adobe Digital Editions. The ADE version should be readable on any reader registered to the same ADE account.

I always download the epub version so that I can keep a permanent copy in the standard format.

I too, always, download the epub version. Opened the URL.ascm link in Adobe Digital Editions, ADE downloaded the files. Connected my Nook to the PC and ADE recognized it and I was able to copy the books over.

I wonder if this might be because of a unrecognized or missing font in the Nook. If it was just one app, that might make sense but all 3 app - Mantano, Aldiko, B&N reader - missing a font?

Both these books are English language books too.

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Qi-Th...06g/page1.html

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Qi-Th...iTA/page1.html