Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Long delay in purchased books showing up on nook

I was at a friends and they were telling me about a couple of books I would want to read. I immediately grabbed my nook and purchased one of them. This is the first time I actually paid for a book with my nook and I discovered two things I didn't like. A minor one, I had to pay sales tax. A major one, my purchase went through but the nook never actually downloaded the book. I even checked this morning and the book is still not available on my nook or my nook iPhone app. My friend of course pulled out their kindle so they could show me how Amazon does it right and books download instantly. I ended up having to manually download the book and load it on my nook. What is the point of having a 3G device if it won't immediately download purchases? Is this normal for nook purchases or a weekend glitch?
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I'm surprised at the delay. I have had no problems with any of my purchases. (knock on wood)
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is there now. Took about 14 hours before it showed up on my nook. Hopefully just a one time thing.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Usually books can be downloaded immediately.
Did you choose "check for new B&N content" on your Nook?
B&N has had server problems the last few days, perhaps that is the reason for the delay?
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
aagstn
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Usually books can be downloaded immediately.
Did you choose "check for new B&N content" on your Nook?
B&N has had server problems the last few days, perhaps that is the reason for the delay?
Yes and that has always worked with the free books I downloaded from B&N. I just hated that the first time I pay for a book I can't get it, but it was likely just a server issue this weekend.

Not the end of the world, but I hate having to hear yet another person tell me why their Kindle kicks my nooks ass.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I always have this issue with downloading my purchased content. With Kindle it's instant. With nook it takes some time, from a few minutes to hours.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
i've never had that problem, ever. My books download and ready to go usually in less than 40 seconds.

The nook doesn't know how to discriminate between dowloading a free book and a purchased one. If you had a problem, more than likely it's an isolated problem or you had a weak connection.

Last edited by boswd; 11-07-2010 at 11:51 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
Helio
Helio began at the beginning.

Device: nook 3G
May 1-3 times this has happened to me.

Otherwise, it's been as smooth as butter.
Helio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Interesting. I wonder if it was a server issue. I have bought over 20 books from my Nook since February and have never seen this. I will keep an eye out for it.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I have bought 105 ebooks from B&N and only had this happen once when there was an issue with my CC. I normally find my book has not only appeared in the library but has started or even finished downloading by the time I exit the shopping application.

I have never had a delay on my nook that wasn't payment induced.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I've only had a delay once with my NOOK. I don't think I've ever checked for a sales tax. I checked my receipts & I have paid no sales tax. Something is wrong there. Maybe a call to customer service is in order.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
aagstn
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I've only had a delay once with my NOOK. I don't think I've ever checked for a sales tax. I checked my receipts & I have paid no sales tax. Something is wrong there. Maybe a call to customer service is in order.
No it is correct. I live in a state that charges sales tax and they have retail stores here so they have to charge it. It isn't a big deal, but it does make equally priced books a bit more expensive than from Amazon or Fictionwise that don't charge sales tax for my state.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have had delays downloading a book on my Kindle from time to time. I am guessing that the times I have issues are probably times when there are server issues or there are a large number of people using the 3G service. I don't think that it is any different then a dropped cell phone call or a missed cell phone call.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
No it is correct. I live in a state that charges sales tax and they have retail stores here so they have to charge it. It isn't a big deal, but it does make equally priced books a bit more expensive than from Amazon or Fictionwise that don't charge sales tax for my state.
Living in WA state means I have to pay sales tax from Amazon as well. States are getting more aggressive about collecting sales tax. Any online refuge you currently have will probably be gone in the future. I don't view it as a reason to switch but I am biased since the other large online retailer (Amazon) would be forced to levy sales tax on my purchases in any case.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The tax was added when the Agency Model went into play. If a Publishing House has a physical presence in a state you have to pay the tax for the book. Amazon is normally able to avoid ahvingto charge taxes because they are only physically located in one state, Washington (at least I think it is Washington). The Agency Model makes Amazon a distributor for a product sold by the Publishing House. So tax comes into play.

Barnes and Nobles has probably been charging taxes because it is physically present in every state.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote