Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
iPad as an e-reader?

Is the iPad worth it as an e-reader (ex: PDF)? Would it be a better choice for a larger screen device than the Kindle DX, for example, or Dittobook D9, or the iRex series?
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
haven't really tried it yet. i could not actually say anything unless i've tried. been reading comments about the iPad so far.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Well, I've been reading books on my iPad for a couple of years now, and I can say categorically that... Ooops, hang on... they're not on the market yet..... Why not wait another week or two, and then some of the members will be able to give you something other than more guesses and/or flame wars...

In the meantime, I'd say that it was definite maybe. Or perhaps a reasonable bet. Or not. But then again...
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC333 View Post
But then again...
... the iPad doesn't have anything like e-ink so if you buy it purely as a reading device I'd reconsider. Especially if you read long stretches or in light environments.

However, it does have an apple on it, So maybe you should buy it.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
^ I read on my iphone for long stretches and outside in the sun - no real problems.

The main reason I will get an ipad is for reading. Of course I will wait to see it in action before making a final decision. But even with the few ibooks screen shots I've seen, it appears to have key functionality (key for me) that make it a very attractive choice.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Strickly as a reader, but I'm just not sure. For me, I probalby would not enjoy the size of the thing when carrying it around.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ ipad wouldn't leave my house - I agree not a great size to be carrying around.

What I am hoping for is an iphone version of ibooks that will 'sync' with the ipad version - so I'll always be on the correct page of my current read, regardless of whether I am on the iphone or ipad.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #8
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
^ I read on my iphone for long stretches and outside in the sun - no real problems.
Do you have a specially constructed hood visor or something? Granted I leave in Florida, but I cannot see who is calling me on my iPhone when I am outside (one line of huge letters only), forget about reading.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
Do you have a specially constructed hood visor or something? Granted I leave in Florida, but I cannot see who is calling me on my iPhone when I am outside (one line of huge letters only), forget about reading.
I live in West Australia where the sunlight is also very bright. A couple of mornings ago I decided to try my e-ink reader out in the full sun. After only a few minutes the ink in the display began to fade to the point that it was getting patchy and hard to read. When I Googled the problem it's apparently quite common, and one person reported going through no less than 8 Kindles before they were satisfied! The reality seems to be that e-ink works well in good light, but direct strong sunlight can quite rapidly stuff the display up. It was not a hot morning (by local standards) but the temperature on a screen in direct sunlight can exceed the recommended operating range (The thermometer on the verandah was showing a mild 26C but when I laid it in the sun it went over 40C).

Out of the direct sun, the display soon returned to normal. So just out of interest I tried my iTouch and netbook computer in the same sunlight. To my surprise I was able to read both of them, but only by angling the screen, and it was certainly not comfortable. Sitting on the verandah (good light but no direct sun) they all worked fine.

The Jetbooks which seem popular at this forum also don't use e-ink, but I've not tried one out.

I have 25 years experience reading off computer screens, often for hours at a stretch, and I have never had any eye problems doing that. I would get physical discomfort well before any eye stress. As I own and use several different devices I have no reason to be either a Hater or a Fanboy on the basis of pushing the one I've chosen. For my money, they all do the job.

But some people genuinely don't find LCD screens comfortable, just as others don't take to the greyness and lack of backlighting on e-ink devices. I like both, but my current preference is a small netbook, so I wouldn't be expecting any problem reading off the iPad. But who knows? I'll have to wait and see.

Whether the OP likes the iPad as a reader can really only be determined by trying it out.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 03-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
foghat
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
Nope, no cover. I do have to turn the brightness quite high though. Probably makes a difference on what color scheme you are using as well.

using Stanza, I have the background set to Lemon Chaffron and the font as Maroon.

That said, usually i will try have my back to the sun (can't stand the sun right in my face) so my body provides a bit of shade, making things that much easier to read.

Not saying it is as good as a real book or e-ink, but it certainly works fine for me.

The thing I like most, is in opposite conditions, where there is not enough natural light, the back lit display just makes things so convenient - and with the right color scheme and brightness level, not hard on my eyes at all..

Last edited by foghat; 03-29-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #11
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I like eInk and I agree it is easier on the eyes for extended periods of time. However, eInk does not deliver the richness in displays and colors that is required for many technical documentation and scientific papers that include graphs and lines of different colors. I think the iPad would be a much better choice in this case. Assuming, of course, that the ebook support (such as PDF) is good enough in the iPad.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC333 View Post
I live in West Australia where the sunlight is also very bright. A couple of mornings ago I decided to try my e-ink reader out in the full sun. After only a few minutes the ink in the display began to fade to the point that it was getting patchy and hard to read. When I Googled the problem it's apparently quite common, and one person reported going through no less than 8 Kindles before they were satisfied! The reality seems to be that e-ink works well in good light, but direct strong sunlight can quite rapidly stuff the display up. It was not a hot morning (by local standards) but the temperature on a screen in direct sunlight can exceed the recommended operating range (The thermometer on the verandah was showing a mild 26C but when I laid it in the sun it went over 40C).

Out of the direct sun, the display soon returned to normal. So just out of interest I tried my iTouch and netbook computer in the same sunlight. To my surprise I was able to read both of them, but only by angling the screen, and it was certainly not comfortable. Sitting on the verandah (good light but no direct sun) they all worked fine.
If you have a Vizplex eink screen that fades in direct sunlight, then you have a defective screen and it needs to be replaced with one that does not fade in direct sunlight. LG made screens that have this issue and it's possible you've a reader using an LG made screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As for eink vs the iPad, that's up to the individual person. For me, I could read on an iPad no problem. The screen would not bother me. I would hope it would work well in direct sunlight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
I have try Kindle for IPod Touch, Mac and PC. I think reading from color screen can cause you an eye strain. About reading from my IPod touch, I have to adjust my reading screen to black and assigned the white letter to display. it works fine to read in the room, in the coffee house. But I have not try to read in sunlight yet. And about reading from my Mac and PC, I think it is too bright and it gives you a feeling that you are working ;]) So, I don't like it.

But the good thing about the color reading screen is magazine reading and also and interactive magazine or book like Penguin or wired that will change the way we read.

I think if you are a serious e-reader you should buy e-ink screen reader such as Kindle or Sony but if you are looking for color screen reader you have a lot of choices not only IPad.
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #15
ChrisC333
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have a Vizplex eink screen that fades in direct sunlight, then you have a defective screen and it needs to be replaced with one that does not fade in direct sunlight. LG made screens that have this issue and it's possible you've a reader using an LG made screen.
Thanks for the info. That could be true, but it seems to work within what I'd see as a reasonable range. We have very bright sunlight here, and high UV too, so I'd pretty much expect to be able to hit the upper operating range when sitting directly in the sunshine. Sitting in the sun for an extended period of time here is not a good idea anyway, so I'm not likely to want to use it that way (sun burn, skin cancers etc being common). If I think of it when I'm near the shop next I might see if they'll let me test some of their other stock in bright sun, but it's not enough of a problem to be bothered about, unless it started fading under the lower levels that I'll actually be using it.