Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
DC Comics finally goes Digital

http://kotaku.com/5570769/dc-comics-...y-goes-digital

Quote:
The electronic comic book movement gains momentum today, as Batman and Superman publisher DC Comics finally goers digital, offering downloadable comics for the iPad, iPhone, and Sony PSP.

Marvel does it. Image does it. Even Dark Horse has electronic versions of many of their comic books available for purchase online. The one, major holdout has been DC Comics, home of iconic heroes like Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman, as well as the Wildstorm imprint, which is quickly becoming the go-to label for video game-based books.

Today that changes.

Seemingly out of nowhere, DC Comics is digital, with a wide selection of books ranging from free to $2.99 now available on the iPhone, iPad, and PSP, including a special free 10-page preview of Superman 700 by J. Michael Straczynski and artist Eddy Barrows.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Okay, I see that Marvel and DC now have dedicated apps. But Image? Do they have a specific app?

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Season View Post
Okay, I see that Marvel and DC now have dedicated apps. But Image? Do they have a specific app?

- M.
Hmmm..I see iVerse has an app that mentions Image Comic Creators..but no dedicated app...
Old 06-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Really happy to see DC finally waking up, and also Dark Horse offering comics in the dedicated Comics app instead of as stand-alone apps.

Hopefully we'll be seeing vastly expanded catalogs and more up-to-date offerings soon from all of the publishers.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
what's silly is they are all using comicXology's app. so you end up with 3 copies of basically the same app installed if you use comic's, Marvel's and DC's. i looked it over, it's a very well done app, but you would hope one copy would be enough... publishers.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I was disappointed in DC's selection of comics to purchase. One can only hope that more will be on the way.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
what's silly is they are all using comicXology's app. so you end up with 3 copies of basically the same app installed if you use comic's, Marvel's and DC's. i looked it over, it's a very well done app, but you would hope one copy would be enough... publishers.
You forgot BOOM! Studios - also a rebranded version of Comics.

It is pretty damn silly to see all of these reskins of the same app, but I'm glad to see the Comics guys having so much success. I had an email conversation with one of them shortly after the Comixology app was originally released and he was a really nice guy.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #8
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post
You forgot BOOM! Studios - also a rebranded version of Comics.

It is pretty damn silly to see all of these reskins of the same app, but I'm glad to see the Comics guys having so much success. I had an email conversation with one of them shortly after the Comixology app was originally released and he was a really nice guy.
So Marvel, DC, and Boom! all use the Comixology app for their branded apps...but the Comics by Comixology app also supports Marvel, DC, Boom!, etc.? Is the content different?
Old 06-24-2010, 01:02 AM   #9
Trubu
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
So Marvel, DC, and Boom! all use the Comixology app for their branded apps...but the Comics by Comixology app also supports Marvel, DC, Boom!, etc.? Is the content different?
I think there's some exclusive content in each of the dedicated apps, but not much. Personally I just use the Comics app.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Having an independently-branded app is a logical approach for each of the comic book companies, despite the possible redundancy for hardcore comic book readers.

Think it through: Some people exclusively read Superman and Batman. They are more likely to recognize an app labeled "DC Comics" as being suited to their needs, than one that is just labeled "Comics." Same goes for those readers who only follow the Avengers and Spiderman (or every incarnation of the X-Whatsits...), because they think of those as "Marvel Comics."

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
yeah. but it also would be nice if you could buy it all through one location and only have one copy of the app on your device. i haven't bought any comics, just looked over the apps and the freebies. neither dc nor marvel have any improvements to the original app, other than their rebranding images. if iOS 4 didn't have folders i'd be completely turned off by the fact that i needed 3 icons where there could only be one.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #12
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Partially, all 3 use the same account. At least the 3 free issues, I've downloaded from DC have been available in my account in comicXology as well.
But I've deleted all 3 apps. Content seems way to limited to me. For Spiderman, I found something like the issues from 1963 and then again from 1999. I'd like to have the issues from the 1980's - when I've originally read them...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #13
kjk

Quote:
if iOS 4 didn't have folders i'd be completely turned off by the fact that i needed 3 icons where there could only be one.
Actually, iOS 4's folders have completely changed how I use apps-I don't even mind I have 4 different messenger programs, 5 book apps, etc...The folders are like the unified email folder in mail in that respect.