Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #31
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post
The number of shades of gray does NOT improve contrast - in fact, it is pretty irrelevant on plain text.

And many people have already pointed the finger to touchscreen tecnology as the main responsible for the 700 screen. But I am no expert myself, so...
Well, I'll be able to (hopefully) see the device next week. I'll inform you afterwards
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #32
folecr
folecr began at the beginning.

Device: none
From the "Specifications" on the site :

Quote:
Operation System
Linux/WinCE (Optional)
Interfaces
I/O: USB 2.0 OTG
Slot: SD/MMC/SDIO/SDHC
Headphn: 2.5mm Stereo
Optional: Wi-Fi/CDMA/EVDO/GSM and more
Battery: 1700mhr Li-ion
Hardware Spec.
400mhz & up/6", 8", 9.7" E Ink®/16 level/128MB
Ram/512MB FlashFormat Support
PDF/TXT/HTML/CHM/RTF/PDB/PRC(Mobipocket)/TTS/JPG/PNG/GIF/BMP/TIFF/MP3
Customized formats optional
Feature Support
Text Reflowable/Zoom in/out & pan/Search
& annotation/Text to speech “TTS”/Dictionary,Various connectivities
Customizable screen ... customizable OS ... customizable memory...
Cool!
folecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #33
folecr
folecr began at the beginning.

Some googling got this page :
http://onyx.en.alibaba.com/featureproductlist.html

With a whole slew of form factors, designs, ...
folecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #34
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by folecr View Post
From the "Specifications" on the site :

Customizable screen ... customizable OS ... customizable memory...
Cool!
If you want to buy 3k units, certainly.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #35
dki
Connoisseur
dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim X5; RCA 1100; Augen The Book, PRS350x2, Sony T1, Kobo AuraHD
Quote:
Nothing new, really.

No better contrast (same screen as others), not faster, not anything.
Touchscreen? What in the hell for? Touchscreens seem cool, and it is "chic" to have one.
But no advantages at all - on the contrary!

Besides, and as many already said, no Epub?

I cant´t see what can this device offer to someone who as an Sony Reader, Kindle, iRex ou Cybook... And for those who have not already bought a dedicated e-reading device, will most probably prefer something that as proven itself on the market.

On last thing: is THERE market for all the players comming out? I doubt.
"Full Screen Scribble
Together with E-ink display, full screen scribble will bring you real handwriting experience without compromising screen brightness or contrast. Search, annotate, highlight, and input text easily with a pen."

I am pretty sure Kindle & Cybook do not have this. Personally, I would not have any use for this feature, but some may like it. WinCE operating system might mean that you would be able to install some applications that were created for PDA's on this device. Some (including me) might find this appealing. It might also mean FOLDER SUPPORT. How's that for one over Cybook (and I think also Kindle)?

And I also think that it is a nice looking device (Better looking that Kindle or Cybook) that could have a good functionality. Even thought it IS kind of thin, which makes me think "BROKEN SCREEN". Why there are no Rhinoskin covers for those things???

Dorota
dki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #36
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Heh, isn't WinCE the kiss of death on battery life? It sure was on other devices!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #37
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Heh, isn't WinCE the kiss of death on battery life? It sure was on other devices!
Not that I've noticed, no. In fact, I'd say the opposite is true. Linux is the KOD. Linux is just now getting power management abilities that WinCE had 7 years ago.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #38
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Sony: US only, only the 505 is (officially) available in Europe
And Canada...
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #39
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
And the choices continue to increase... I'll wait till the plastic substrate models emerge before making my final decision.

This one looks rather like a large Zune.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:34 AM   #40
naboo
naboo began at the beginning.

Seems it does support the ePub.

Did Anyone watch the video already?
http://www.onyx-international.com/cms/product-box.html
naboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:38 AM   #41
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I've heard from Onyx. The CPU starts at 532MHz, and the BOOX does support epub.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #42
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Onyx has updated the product photo.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #43
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
This is probably the first ebook reader besides Sony, that I really love at the first sight.

Moreover, 8" I would buy for fiction and 9.7 for tech PDF files.
They natively support html and what is more CHM!

Last edited by astra; 02-28-2009 at 06:57 PM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #44
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Onyx has updated the product photo.
the picture link is broken, can you attach it directly instead ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #45
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Nothing new, really.
Touchscreen? What in the hell for? Touchscreens seem cool, and it is "chic" to have one.
But no advantages at all - on the contrary!
Gotta disagree on this one. I had a Rocket Ebook when they came out. It had a touchscreen, as well as page buttons. It was GREAT! The touch screen made it easy to navigate the menus, and especially - allowed easy dictionary lookup, and attaching notes to the text being read.

From some other posts, it sounds like Sony made bad choices about the materials used for the touchscreen and frontlight on the 700. It appears that using the "right" materials would help the contrast issues on that device.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, onyx