Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Can Calibre be used for books from Sony bookstore?

I use Calibre to convert the size of type to be 18 pt. on my other books; has anyone figured out how to convert sony books from their bookstore on Calibre? The print is too tiny as is. Thanks
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Calibre cannot convert any eBooks that have DRM. All the eBooks from the Sony eBookstore do have DRM. Once Sony switches to ePUb, you can then remove the DRM and edit away.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks JSWolf. Do you know when they are converting to epub by any chance? I am not going to download anymore books til then, if I can't see them I can't read them! I can't be the only baby boomer that has eyes that can't read small print anymore!
Old 11-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Thanks JSWolf. Do you know when they are converting to epub by any chance? I am not going to download anymore books til then, if I can't see them I can't read them! I can't be the only baby boomer that has eyes that can't read small print anymore!
Supposed to be next month. Maybe stupid to ask, but are you increasing the size to the largest font size on your 505? The largest font is as big as any large-font book I've ever seen.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
Supposed to be next month. Maybe stupid to ask, but are you increasing the size to the largest font size on your 505? The largest font is as big as any large-font book I've ever seen.
Yes, after I increase the size to Large on the 505 it still is tiny! 18 font size is just right for me when I convert it.

Also I am able to convert .pdf to .lrf to font 18 no problem. But I have tried several different books that are drm free .epub and they won't convert to 18 size font. Can't understand why either. Last time Calibre just spinned and spinned and never finished. Other time it acted like it converted, but it was just any tiny print as before
Old 11-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
... I have tried several different books that are drm free .epub and they won't convert to 18 size font. Can't understand why either. Last time Calibre just spinned and spinned and never finished. Other time it acted like it converted, but it was just any tiny print as before
Calibre is probably not the best tool for editing epubs. I would suggest unzipping them and editing the html.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:36 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you want to edit an ePub then for the average user probably the easiest way is is to use the Sigil tool that can edit them directly.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:18 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Latest word from Sony is "mid December" for their switch to ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:59 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Yes, after I increase the size to Large on the 505 it still is tiny! 18 font size is just right for me when I convert it.

Also I am able to convert .pdf to .lrf to font 18 no problem. But I have tried several different books that are drm free .epub and they won't convert to 18 size font. Can't understand why either. Last time Calibre just spinned and spinned and never finished. Other time it acted like it converted, but it was just any tiny print as before
I have never had Calibre fail to change the font size for me. I prefer to read Epub and have converted the file and font size from many formats to epub and from epub to epub (just for font size change).

Since I am ignorant of what the settings in Calibre do, I set the base font to 16 and the font size key to 16,16,16,16,18,18,20,20. This setting gives me consistent 16pt font for reading. If I wanted to ensure 18pt I would increase all settings by 2.

My 50yr old eyes are too old for most published ebooks without changing the font size. Sure I could use reading glasses, but If I can avoid reading glasses by increasing the font even better.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I have never had Calibre fail to change the font size for me. I prefer to read Epub and have converted the file and font size from many formats to epub and from epub to epub (just for font size change).

Since I am ignorant of what the settings in Calibre do, I set the base font to 16 and the font size key to 16,16,16,16,18,18,20,20. This setting gives me consistent 16pt font for reading. If I wanted to ensure 18pt I would increase all settings by 2.

My 50yr old eyes are too old for most published ebooks without changing the font size. Sure I could use reading glasses, but If I can avoid reading glasses by increasing the font even better.

Good Luck.
I agree, I love being able to see without reading glasses (51 year old eyes) and I will try convert epub to epub changing to 18 font and see if that works. Maybe it doesn't like .lrf. I like .lrf justified right margin.

Not sure what you mean 16,16,16,16,18,18,20,20. Are you talking about margins? I just change base font size. I have an old version of Calibre. I tried the new one but it confused me, so I went back to the old one.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:54 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I agree, I love being able to see without reading glasses (51 year old eyes) and I will try convert epub to epub changing to 18 font and see if that works. Maybe it doesn't like .lrf. I like .lrf justified right margin.

Not sure what you mean 16,16,16,16,18,18,20,20. Are you talking about margins? I just change base font size. I have an old version of Calibre. I tried the new one but it confused me, so I went back to the old one.

Thanks.
Under Preferences menu - Conversion - Look and Feel tab you will see both

Base font size: and Font size key: I set the values in these fields for 16pt font as previously stated. If I wanted 18 pt font for reading I would put these values in. I'm not sure how it works but this setup has never failed me.

Base font size: 18.0 pt

Font size key: 18,18,18,18,20,20,20,20

Good Luck
Old 12-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
new

Thumbs down

Quote:
Under Preferences menu - Conversion - Look and Feel tab you will see both

Base font size: and Font size key: I set the values in these fields for 16pt font as previously stated. If I wanted 18 pt font for reading I would put these values in. I'm not sure how it works but this setup has never failed me.

Base font size: 18.0 pt

Font size key: 18,18,18,18,20,20,20,20

Good Luck
I have Calibre 0.5.14 version, perhaps that is why I don't have Font size key: on preferences, conversion.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I have Calibre 0.5.14 version, perhaps that is why I don't have Font size key: on preferences, conversion.
That would do it. Time to uninstall 0.5.14 and install 0.6.26. Well worth the upgrade.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-04-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #14
new

Unhappy

Quote:
That would do it. Time to uninstall 0.5.14 and install 0.6.26. Well worth the upgrade.
I would if the update after 0.5.14 didn't scare me off (don't know what the number update was). It messed up my Library so I am quite leery to use it now. I ended up uninstalling the update and going back to 0.5.14

Last edited by new; 12-04-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I would if the update after 0.5.14 didn't scare me off (don't know what the number update was). It messed up my Library so I am quite leery to use it now. I ended up uninstalling the update and going back to 0.5.14
To ease your fears try the following steps.

Copy your library to a new location
Uninstall 0.5.14
Install 0.6.26
Point to new copy of library.

If it doesn't work uninstall and go back 0.5.14 and point to the original library.

This process shouldn't take long and you'll be on the same page as most of the rest of us.